cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with a Nissan Titan

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys, got a slight problem. I bought a used 2012 Nissan Titan from a dealership, was under impression that is towing capacity was 9400lbs. After hours of research, I find out my particular model only has a towing capacity of 7400lbs. It's a 2012 Nissan Titan crewmax, looked to be a factory trailer setup on it. Anywho, in my case I'm pretty bummed. I have a 6600lb coachmen Catalina, set up with a weight distribution hitch. What are yalls thoughts? Am I still good to go? Thanks in advance
26 REPLIES 26

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Chicken Littles Everywhere!
The only item of concern that I see is a rear diff failure possibility, make sure you have the finned diff cover and synthetic in there/

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
....snip....

And yes contrary to what some believe. the rear gear is just as important now as it has ever been.

.....snip

Discussing only the ratio of the final drive ( "rear gear" ) without considering the internal ratios of the transmission, can be misleading.

In the case of the Titan, Nissan chose to use "low gearing" in the transmission, and "high gearing" in the differential.

By comparison, Toyota chose to use slightly higher gearing in the transmission, and use a lower gear in the diff ( 4.30 ).

One also needs to consider the diameter of the tires.

I have run all the numbers on the Titan vs the Tundra regarding "overall gearing" ( trans ratios times diff ratios ). You might be surprised how close they are, overall. The Tundra though does have the advantage of one extra gear in the trans.

There are some other engineering arguments to be made, both pro and con regarding the choices to do it each way, but for the purpose of this discussion, probably best to keep it just focused on ratios.

PS, some Titans came with 2.94 final gears, and some with 3.36. Mostly the difference in what is out there is Pro4X came with 3.36.
This is all only related to the current, soon to be former gen Titan. The new ones ( 2017 ) are now out. I have not seen the specs on them yet.

EDIT: I corrected the final gear ratios for the Titan. I was going by memory previously. Correct is 2.94 and 3.36, not 2.93 and 3.31

EDIT2: one would also need to consider that even though the Titan makes 4% less torque, it reaches it's peak at 3400 rpm, vs the Tundra's 3600 rpm peak. ...the plot thickens....

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
I get it Terry and I'm one of them "stupid" engineers too, just not a mech engr.
You are absolutely correct that rear gearing is as important now as ever and I wouldn't say the op had the ideal tow rig. I'm only saying it was sufficient for the task from a safety standpoint and would get his trailer there from a mechanical standpoint.
My reccomendation would be different if he was looking at it as a primary TV and not just a few weekend trips a year.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Terry my posts are meant as informative albeit a bit tongue in cheek sometimes, haha.
I understand your thinking on it, and it's a "safe" way to go if one does not understand a vehicle beyond sitting behind the steering wheel and making it go.
Anyway, the OP just turned in one half ton for a very similar other half ton, so he must not have been worried either, just didn't like his choice in new trucks.....or the yota has a better lookin sticker.

I quite understand vehicles. My job is to make them move. One of your vehicles prolly moves as a direct result of what I do.
Payload is NOT tow capacity. And tow capacity is NOT payload. Many things determine the payload, and many things determine the tow capacity. But you do have to have enough payload to carry the tongue. But then some trailers, say boat trailers, don't have so much tongue weight.
The main things for towing, of course are the rear gears, and engine. Then of course you have to account for the weight of the vehicle itself. A regular cab truck will tow much more than a quad cab truck with the same engine, and gear. Every pound you put in the TV lowers the towing capacity.

And yes contrary to what some believe. the rear gear is just as important now as it has ever been. Being involved with the engineers while they are developing capacities, and tolerances. I know there are reasons behind the decisions to put certain capacities on vehicles. And then there is the fact that not all so called 1/2 ton trucks, or even heavy duty trucks are created the same. Just because they look alike. does not mean they perform alike. Something is different. Or all trucks would have the same capacities.

Of course. Sometimes the engineers don't seem to have a clue about how things really work. That's where we come in. Just cause it works on paper, don't mean it will work on the floor.

and in truth. I don't care what brand anyone buys. We make just about every brand move. From Maserati to Fiat.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Terry my posts are meant as informative albeit a bit tongue in cheek sometimes, haha.
I understand your thinking on it, and it's a "safe" way to go if one does not understand a vehicle beyond sitting behind the steering wheel and making it go.
Anyway, the OP just turned in one half ton for a very similar other half ton, so he must not have been worried either, just didn't like his choice in new trucks.....or the yota has a better lookin sticker.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
buffaloKev wrote:
well, made a quick decision. Dealer was willing to back my deal out and allowed me to purchase another vehicle. I went with a 2013 Toyota Tundra Crew Max. I towed my set up with a 2007 Tundra Crew Max and never had an issue, just time for a newer vehicle. Thanks everyone for the Info

Tundra! Now you talk-a-my-language. lol

Good choice, but while you gained tow capacity you lost a lot of payload.

And be prepared...the Big 3 lovers here just love to hate on the Tundra as much as they do the Nissan.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
On one side of the coin, that's a fair amount of trailer for a half ton, but on the flip side , none of the weight cops on here would be saying anything if it was a beloved max tow max whatever Eco Boost ford.
Bottom line, it's a very capable half ton truck and 7000lbs is not out of line for any newer half ton in good shape. If you have the higher geared rear end, it won't be as fast as lower rear gears. Maybe have to drop a gear sooner, or pull a hill a little slower.
However, what the masses here seem to forget is that for a particular model truck, the chassis' are basically the same. Same frame, front end, rear end strength, brakes, etc.

You may want to upgrade a couple things depending on how hard or far you're pulling, like a transmission cooler if it doesn't have an external cooler, or maybe the rear suspension. But at that, you have a wd hitch so suspension shouldn't be a problem.

Hooker up and go!

Actually a 7400lb tow capacity is NOT all that good for ANY truck. And no matter what it is, when you hook a 6600lb DRY TT to a 7400lb tow capacity truck. It is over loaded when the family gets in.

Y'all need to think in practical terms and beyond just what you read.....just a little, cause that's all that's needed in this case.
Yes the old bisquit is right. Tire ratings and rawr DO matter. But a 2klb payload rating on the ops truck is decent for most half tons. Tow rating is typically determined by 2 things, for the same truck model. Rear gears and a trans cooler.
You're gonna run this guy off to sell his camper for a dome tent, or have him in a 350 Dooley before it's over.
If Nissan makes the Titan with 7400 and up to 9400 or whatever towing cap, I guarantee it has the same axles, wheels, frame, brakes etc. May have a heavier rear spring. Will have a lower rear end and probably a better trans cooler, but that's it. Plus with a wdh and a max of 12-1400 lb tongue on that trailer, the ONLY thing I'd worry about is keeping the trans cool pulling grades or super hot weather. Heck he said it's only a few weekender trips.
Some of you would rather trade up than add a trans cooler and some overloads.
I know a guy like this. Great family friend, like my second father. He goes thru more trucks and campers. Think he enjoys it actuall but new truck, bigger camper, truck is too rough, smaller truck, smaller camper, camper is too small, bigger camper.......etc. fact is, any of the combos he's ever owned were just fine and he's used them in most combinations, but he gets to reading and not thinking and then he's trading in his truck again.

Some of you could find something wrong with a piece of warm apple pie and a scoop of ice cream.

I guess IF you are smarter than the engineers that designed the truck, and set the limits. Then it is ok to go over them. Me, I'm not. I honestly believe that if the designers say it won't do more then there is a reason why.

My previous truck had a towing capacity of 8000Lbs. My new truck has a capacity of 9300Lb. After having driven both trucks. Is there that much of a difference in the towing ability of the two? Yes there is. Rear gears make a world of difference. All the difference in the world.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Stop the guessing. Hook up and hit the truck scale.

You could simply weigh the whole combo and get your Gross Combined Weight, which is the be all end all.

Then break it up to get the truck weight and weight on each axle.

Payload is a derived number from Curb Weight (actual, as-is scale weight) minus the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

I believe you will be at or near your trucks rated tow capacity and perfectly fine to tow with. It will simply be more work for the engine with the tall rear end gear, which is the only thing that lowers the tow rating. So mechanically, you are not "un-safe".

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
well, made a quick decision. Dealer was willing to back my deal out and allowed me to purchase another vehicle. I went with a 2013 Toyota Tundra Crew Max. I towed my set up with a 2007 Tundra Crew Max and never had an issue, just time for a newer vehicle. Thanks everyone for the Info

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
I would hope that the OP takes everything here with a grain of salt. His Titan has a pretty respectable payload for a 1/2ton class pickup.. beats my RAM by 400#.

In the end it all boils down to how close to the 'limits' you are comfortable with. Some people prefer a larger cushion than others, some not.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
On one side of the coin, that's a fair amount of trailer for a half ton, but on the flip side , none of the weight cops on here would be saying anything if it was a beloved max tow max whatever Eco Boost ford.
Bottom line, it's a very capable half ton truck and 7000lbs is not out of line for any newer half ton in good shape. If you have the higher geared rear end, it won't be as fast as lower rear gears. Maybe have to drop a gear sooner, or pull a hill a little slower.
However, what the masses here seem to forget is that for a particular model truck, the chassis' are basically the same. Same frame, front end, rear end strength, brakes, etc.

You may want to upgrade a couple things depending on how hard or far you're pulling, like a transmission cooler if it doesn't have an external cooler, or maybe the rear suspension. But at that, you have a wd hitch so suspension shouldn't be a problem.

Hooker up and go!

Actually a 7400lb tow capacity is NOT all that good for ANY truck. And no matter what it is, when you hook a 6600lb DRY TT to a 7400lb tow capacity truck. It is over loaded when the family gets in.

Y'all need to think in practical terms and beyond just what you read.....just a little, cause that's all that's needed in this case.
Yes the old bisquit is right. Tire ratings and rawr DO matter. But a 2klb payload rating on the ops truck is decent for most half tons. Tow rating is typically determined by 2 things, for the same truck model. Rear gears and a trans cooler.
You're gonna run this guy off to sell his camper for a dome tent, or have him in a 350 Dooley before it's over.
If Nissan makes the Titan with 7400 and up to 9400 or whatever towing cap, I guarantee it has the same axles, wheels, frame, brakes etc. May have a heavier rear spring. Will have a lower rear end and probably a better trans cooler, but that's it. Plus with a wdh and a max of 12-1400 lb tongue on that trailer, the ONLY thing I'd worry about is keeping the trans cool pulling grades or super hot weather. Heck he said it's only a few weekender trips.
I know a guy like this. Great family friend, like my second father. He goes thru more trucks and campers. Think he enjoys it actuall but new truck, bigger camper, truck is too rough, smaller truck, smaller camper, camper is too small, bigger camper.......etc. fact is, any of the combos he's ever owned were just fine and he's used them in most combinations, but he gets to reading and not thinking and then he's trading in his truck again.

Some of you could find something wrong with a piece of warm apple pie and a scoop of ice cream.

Stop using your head. Just look at the payload sticker. Nothing else matters.

Also the pie is too hot and the ice cream is too cold.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Terryallan wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Hooker up and go!

TheMohns
Explorer
Explorer
buffaloKev wrote:
Thanks for the info. Payload capacity is 2063lbs. Still seeing info online that the towing capacity for my model, 2012 Nissan Titan SL crew cab, is 9300 lbs. is there anyway to find out for sure what the capacity is? Can I call Nissan and give them VIN?

2063lbs payload? That is pretty good. My Ram half ton was 1250lbs. Thats why I got rid of it.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

Hooker up and go!

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers