cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer hitch nut lock

rmc7777
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'm looking for a trailer hitch nut lock. Should fit a 1" diameter shank. Something like RJ Locks (rjlocks.com) is what I have in mind, but apparently they are out of business. Are there any other vendors who sell this type of device?
14 REPLIES 14

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
If your worried about the ball nut coming loose you can take a second nut and tighten the two together by locking one against the other. We used to do that all the time in the const industry.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Aluminum...so the why of their 250 ft/lb torque...my ball/nut tag says to tighten to, IIRC, 450 ft/lbs, so this RJ lock isn't up to spec for my ball/nut

There are reasons for that kind of torque requirement and is to keep the ball on the shank from being loosened by the trailer over time. Trailer will have 18-20-24-28-30 or more feet of lever arm working on that ball

Aluminum is a wonderful metal but not for a lock body application. Anyone ever see a pad lock made of aluminum? If yes, please post pic's and links so I can read up on them

Locking the coupler makes more sense to me...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Don't know why anyone would want to steal a hitch ball, but I suppose if you have vehicles at construction sites, thieves will steal anything. How many times have we heard of tools and equipment being stolen at various construction sites? OP didn't say anything about having a trailer hitched.

I have never seen that. Is the theory to prevent the ball from being stolen or a connected trailer?

I would think just removing the hitch would be more secure if it is the ball and easier ways to defeat a trailer lock and just take it than removing the ball.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I use a punch to secure the nut. Slightly burring the threads wear the ball and nut make contact.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Another way to "lock" the nut is to put a small weld on the exposed threads.
That's what I do on all my receivers but not for security reasons.

I've had the receiver nut work it self loose a couple of times (only by less than
1/2 a thread) and when this happens the receiver rattles like crazy. One quick weld on the exposed threads stops the nut form loosening AND adds a level of
security.
Gerry

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Click on link they have quite a few different ones.

https://www.etrailer.com/search/trailer+ball+lock

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Barney....now I get it. Thanks for the education.
I'm a gadget junkie, but I'll pass on this one.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
RJ Locks.com
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know why anyone would want to steal a hitch ball, but I suppose if you have vehicles at construction sites, thieves will steal anything. How many times have we heard of tools and equipment being stolen at various construction sites? OP didn't say anything about having a trailer hitched.

Bedlam
You can run a security chain between the trailer tongue and truck receiver body for additional deterrence. I would question why you stay or visit an area with such a high risk rate.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I wonder why you need a lock on the nut for the ball. It would take someone who really wanted your rig. Takes a healthy wrench to get it off, then hitch to attach it to.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

randy328
Explorer
Explorer
Might try emailing them if you haven't: info@rjlocks.com

They responded to a question on Amazon just two days ago, said their larger shank lock would be out in the spring so it sounds like they are still around.
KZ MXT2920, Ford F250 4dr long bed
Bunch of Motorcycles - Track Instruction and Race
German Shepherd "Qorkey"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Might be a reason company is out of business.........LOW demand for product???

As shown on that website even with receiver pin lock and trailer coupler locks one COULD remove nut holding ball on shank and steal trailer etc.

But just have many times have you actually heard of ball shank nut being removed??

Product looking for a issue
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Need more info....what hitch?
and what exactly is a "trailer hitch nut lock?" (I'm always trying to learn.)

and Welcome to the Forum.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro