cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Life subscription

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I just receive a renewal for my Trailer Life subscription. I have been less than enamored with the lack of content over the last couple of years. At one time it would take days to read all the articles. Now I can read it cover to cover in less than an hour. With the rv industry having the best years ever I do not understand the lack of content.
31 REPLIES 31

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I do take my old issues to our winter spot and put them in the book room. A lot of the folks really appreciate them.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
The internet has pretty much killed all the magazines like Trailer Life, as well as all the newspapers. The remaining ones are struggling.

Actually while this is a commonly held perception its not borne out by the facts.

While newspapers are struggling financially and people are turning more and more to the internet to get a variety of information There are more magazines being published today than at any other time in our history. And they cover every conceivable subject. This is why the magazine section at any major book seller (like B&N) is the LARGEST single department in the store.

What has been learned is that people pick and choose what information they get from what source. But magazines are still very popular. And don't think it's an "age" thing either. About 1/2 of all magazines are aimed at the preteen thru 25 year old market.

Trailer Life is alive and well. But is not living up to it's ultimate potential.

While a lot of them still exist, they're all struggling. Sports Illustrated just let go all in-house photographers and will use free-lancers only from now on. They all have to cut way back as subscriptions are down drastically. Personally, I would rather have a magazine or newspaper but millennials for the most part don't read magazines or newspapers.

Well again most of this is perception. Some facts from MPA:

More people under the age of 35 read PRINT magazines than over the age of 35

Most magazines have a paid online digital version but it's the PRINT version that drives the Digital not the other way around. ie. people get to the digital version from reading the print...and keep reading both

There are 7240 magazines being published

Barnes and Noble is not on the ropes. It is going to break off it's NOOK business and its College bookstore business (both struggling) from it's retail bookstore business which had a $72+ million dollar third quarter income. The bookstore is still profitable even in the face of Amazon.

Now back to the original topic...

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't B&N pretty much done now too, they closed a bunch of them I thought, barely hanging on.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
4X4Dodger wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
The internet has pretty much killed all the magazines like Trailer Life, as well as all the newspapers. The remaining ones are struggling.

Actually while this is a commonly held perception its not borne out by the facts.

While newspapers are struggling financially and people are turning more and more to the internet to get a variety of information There are more magazines being published today than at any other time in our history. And they cover every conceivable subject. This is why the magazine section at any major book seller (like B&N) is the LARGEST single department in the store.

What has been learned is that people pick and choose what information they get from what source. But magazines are still very popular. And don't think it's an "age" thing either. About 1/2 of all magazines are aimed at the preteen thru 25 year old market.

Trailer Life is alive and well. But is not living up to it's ultimate potential.

While a lot of them still exist, they're all struggling. Sports Illustrated just let go all in-house photographers and will use free-lancers only from now on. They all have to cut way back as subscriptions are down drastically. Personally, I would rather have a magazine or newspaper but millennials for the most part don't read magazines or newspapers.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

muskrat_linnie_
Explorer
Explorer
Bill Graves "American Outback" is another good artical

muskrat_linnie_
Explorer
Explorer
Bill Graves "American Outback" is another must read

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always sign up for 2 years. they have gotten better in the last few years. I agree that for a while it was getting bad, but they are changing things. Glad I still get it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that the internet has far more info than Trailer Life. I'm not going to renew my subscription.
2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had pushed once before for RV.NET to add a forum for Trailer Life and MH magazines to the "ask Marcus Forums" at the top of this site. It is virtually the only part of the Good Sam Enterprises conglomerate of companies that is not represented on this site.

That "Publisher" Bob Livingston should really be reading this thread.

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I've also been disappointed in how many fewer pages each issue has compared to the number it had years ago when we first subscribed. I probably won't renew when my current subscription runs out - which is pretty sad because it used to be a good source of information.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

jeb5
Explorer
Explorer
They did make a negative comment about the Winnebago 5th wheel. You can not open the front hatch when it is connected to the truck. First honest critical comment that I can remember.
Ford F-350, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4, Long Bed
Newmar Kountry Star 5th Wheel

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
Been a subscriber for the past 11 years. I kike it and will continue to read and order.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L