cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transmission Help

parvn4fun
Explorer
Explorer
I was hoping some experts out there could assist me with my concerns about the transmission when towing. Sorry for being a bit long-winded with the post.

I bought a used 2012 Nissan Armada with 30k miles on it and my RV is about 5500# loaded. The combination seems to work well and I don't have any issues hauling.

The Armada has a transmission temp gauge that shows a range with acceptable/unacceptable temps. Kinda looks like: |-----------|XXX| where where the gauge is between the dashes all is ok but anything in the X's is too hot. Unfortunately, the gauge doesn't provide a specific temp number.

When I am hauling the RV, the gauge regularly stays in the lower third of the acceptable range. Believe it or not, my main concern is when I get home. My driveway has a slight slope on it and I need to back the RV up the driveway -- about 60 feet or so to park it next to the house. The temp goes straight up to the line right before the X's as I am backing up the slope. When it does, I put the RV in park and wait for it to cool, back it up a little more, wait, back, wait, etc.

My concern is obvious. I was thinking of taking the SUV to have the transmission fluid changed and make sure I am not damaging anything. Plus, I can talk with the mechanic there to see if I should be doing anything different. For example, I leave the transmission selection in AUTO and don't use 4HI or 4LO...should I be using these too?

Any thoughts from you guys as to what I should be doing to ensure I don't have to get a rebuild in a couple of years?
10 REPLIES 10

Ryan_Elli1
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Ford Expedition that I added a temp gauge too and in reverse it too increased. I think the reason is, there is no air moving through the cooler and the reverse gearing be low it created higher temps. Nothing to worry about as its not prolonged. Once in place unhook and drive around the block to move air though the cooler.
2014 Cougar 29RBS(Kizzy)
2015 F250 FX4 6.2
Ryan, Elli, and kids
with Holly the Mini Schnauzer

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Other than it heating up because you are using reverse, the cooler also does not have much air moving over it when backing up, so that does not help either...

On my old F150, I used to put it in 4lo to backup after seeing how hot it got. Temps didn't even rise in 4lo, and that was with some maneuvering around an stuff too..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Ram has an option on their web site to ask questions. Maybe Nissan has one too. I usually trust that one more than most mechanics; but JMHO.

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea how the Titan is set up, but for some early 2000's Fords, like my former 2004 Explorer and some 7.3 Powerstrokes (there are probably others but these I know of), Ford bypassed the in radiator loop for transmission cooling and relied only on the stacked plate cooler sandwitched between the radiator and AC condensor. When doing manuvers that result in little airflow, like backing, there was no other way for the fluid to cool, resulting in high / overheated fluid. In Fords, this overheated fluid would cause the input shaft seal to expand enough to leak. After cooling down it would stop. This was a VERY common problem for those of us who towed with vehicles lacking the radiator loop.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

parvn4fun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your input everyone...looks like I have more options to try before heading to a mechanic.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another suggestion is to check on some of the Titan forums (titantalk.com and others) and see what they're doing. Lots of times these vehicle specific forums has a lot of good info and others have experienced the same issues.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know the technical explanation, but I have always been told that placing a large load on the transmission in reverse creates (much) higher trans temps than when going forward. Even putting a vehicle / trailer on leveling blocks it is best to drive forward onto them. YMMV

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
If your driveway is straight, no harm in using 4 lo. I use it often when moving a trailer around to save stress on the transmission. If you have to make much of a corner or curve, it will bind up, though, so only use it if you have a fairly straight shot.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

goodcruisin
Explorer
Explorer
You say "a slight slope" which is a very relative term. I'm from WV and my wife from IN. We have very differing definitions of slight slope. Try going up forward and see if it does the same thing. If it only does it backward and not forward then it's possible the pick up tube is toward the rear of the transmission pan so when you are on the slope the fluid goes to the front of the pan and the pick up is sucking air.
John (USN Ret) & Debbie
Tux (Amstaff/Dalmation mix)
'96 Monaco Windsor 36' DP 8.3 Cummins for chillin'
985 HP Dragster for thrillin'

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Short bursts of high trans temps won't hurt it. Its the prolonged over heating that does the damage. Still it seems odd that this only happens in reverse. A fluid change won't hurt it, but I can't see that fixing the problem either. You might call a trans shop and or a Nissan dealer and ask.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)