cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling to Maine

RVgirl2015
Explorer
Explorer
What area in Maine is the best place for lobster, shopping, and relaxing at the ocean? Not necessarily in that order. LOL!
26 REPLIES 26

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
We are going to Bar Harbor in August.

One word: BLUBERRRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uh, that one word would be LOBSTAH!!!
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to Bar Harbor in August.

One word: BLUBERRRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Toolguy5 wrote:
We are going to Bar Harbor in August. Made our reservations in February.

We are renting a cabin there at Hutchins Mountain Cabins on Rt 3 from 8/30-9/1. Will you be there then? Have you been there before? It is like heaven on Earth in the summer up there!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to Bar Harbor in August. Made our reservations in February.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
hbrady wrote:
Lived in Maine my whole life, probably my favorite 'coastal' campground thus far is Pemaquid Point. We lucked out and got one of the few 'full hookup' sites. Really relaxing campground and there are nice beaches, kayaking, shops, markets, a lighthouse and great lobster all within a few minute drive. I'd suggest the South Bristol Fisherman's Co-Op for the lobster. You can eat them there or better yet, bring them back to your site and cook them yourself ๐Ÿ™‚ If you want the full shopping experience Freeport is only a 1 hour drive. You could spend an entire day there and still not see all the shops.

X2 on this campground and the whole surrounding area! New Harbor, Damariscotta, Bath, Wiscasset, Rockland.... all great towns on the rocky Maine coast!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
Lived in Maine my whole life, probably my favorite 'coastal' campground thus far is Pemaquid Point. We lucked out and got one of the few 'full hookup' sites. Really relaxing campground and there are nice beaches, kayaking, shops, markets, a lighthouse and great lobster all within a few minute drive. I'd suggest the South Bristol Fisherman's Co-Op for the lobster. You can eat them there or better yet, bring them back to your site and cook them yourself ๐Ÿ™‚ If you want the full shopping experience Freeport is only a 1 hour drive. You could spend an entire day there and still not see all the shops.
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I can also vouch for Sunset Point in Harrington, and the lobster dinner brought to your door. A very nice, well kept campground. A good stop if you're going further north maybe to Cobscook Bay state park.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
We have traveled throughout Maine for years. First staying in inns and hotels and since 2007 in our camper. We have stayed at many campgrounds all over Maine. All have been positive experiences for various reason. Some on the ocean, some in the woods and one on a marsh. Our favorite is Wild Duck in Scarborough, ME. (on the marsh) We have also stayed at the following and as I mentioned all are places I would recommend.
Libby's Oceanfront
Narrows Too
Sunset Point
Schoodic Woods....brand new beautiful campground part of ArcadiaNP but located on Schoodic peninsular instead of Bar Harbor
Camden Hills SP
Red Apple
Hadley's Point
Chewonki
Plamyra Golf and Rv Resort
Grey Homestead Oceanfront
Camden Hills RV Resort
and another one we loved Seaview Campground and Cottages in Eastport.
Lobster is available everywhere in Maine especially along the coast.
A fun and unique experience for us was when we stayed at Sunset Point campground in Harrington ME. You can order a lobster dinner which is caught that day, prepared and delivered to your campsite by the owner.I do think there may be other campgrounds that also do this.
Enjoy your trip to the coast of Maine. It is truly a beautiful and special place.
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

RespondingBack
Explorer
Explorer
1. State Park Pass

Get a state park pass and drive up the coast while seeing each state park. Camden State Park has beautiful overlook over the town and bay. Some have campgrounds. Some are a bit isolated.

2. Acadia Natl Park and surrounding area

Watch out for the low clearance bridges in park. Check Visitor Center.

3. Lobster at Grocery Stores/Lobster Rolls

Previous poster had it right. Convenient and can find nice picnic areas to enjoy.

Also search for best lobster rolls along the way.

4. Sightseeing

Couple of nice museums along the coast, including Owls Transportation and Farnsworth/Wyeth.

Delorme GPS (now part of Garmin) has its headquarters near Freeport, Maine. Worth a visit to see the huge globe.

Freeport, as others have mentioned, has LLBean, outlets, etc.

5. Overnighting

To save a couple of bucks and/or convenience, several places to overnight including RV lot in Freeport, Maine, various Walmarts along the way, etc. Check allstays.com.

Jackha1949
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in Maine for over 30 years, its a beautiful state in the summer, winter lasts for ever! LOL! A really nice place to visit north of Portland is Meadowbrook Campgrounds right near Bath, Maine. It's a small quiet campgrounds with full-hookups and is near to one of the prettiest beaches in Maine, Popham Beach. The campgrounds does serve lobsters. Popham Beach is only 10 miles away on a small country road. There is the state park beach and if you travel past that to the end there is an old Civil War Fort and free parking if you get there early. Good fishing from the beach too. Bath is a nice small city with plenty of nice restaurants and shopping. LL Bean and Freeport is not that far away, about 15 miles south on Rt 1 or 295. You can go north thru Bath on Rt 1 to Georgetown 5 islands which serve lobster and seafood right on the pier over looking the Sheepscot River. Farther north on Rt 1 is Boothbay Harbor another fun place to visit. If coastal Maine is what you are looking for Travel I-295 north to Brunswick where you can pick up Rt 1 north and that will take you all along the coast of Maine right to the Canadian Border. Summer and early fall is awesome in Maine! Probably see you there this summer! Enjoy!
Jack & Peg
USN Ret AGC
K1ZMB
Patrick AFB
2017 Coachmen Leprechaun

derosacamp
Explorer
Explorer
If you want easy access to beaches and shopping, traditional tourest area, Southern Maine is the place, we spend time at Wells, shopping in Ports mouth NH and Portland, Old Port area. If you want fantastic views, scenery, nice but hard to reach beaches, and hiking, Acadia is the place. Lobsters are easy to find in Maine.
Peter and Cindy
2006 Gulf Stream Ultra

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I have vacationed on the Maine coast for years. I no longer need to shop, or do the commercial centers. Acadia is a must if you haven't seen it. Be sure to do some hiking on the carriage trails to really see the beauty of the area. I now bypass Bar Harbor and go further north. There is a new campground at Schoodic, the lesser known part of Acadia that is really lovely. Ocean Woods campground is also supposed to reopen this year, which was my all-time favorite true camping place to go. I head further north to Cobscook Bay state park now. Nothing around but beautiful coastline, some hiking. No hookups there but some lovely sites on the bay. If you want to relax with a campfire and watch the tide go in and out, it can't be beat. Another new campground I haven't tried is Reach Knolls, again in a quiet area with little fishing harbors nearby, lots of lobster and seafood.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
fireman41 wrote:
Also in the Bar Harbor area you have to try the blue berry ice cream, and anything made from The Atlantic Brewing Company.

If you enjoy good BBQ be sure to visit Mainely Meat BBQ which is at the site of the Brewery! Mainely Meat
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
Also in the Bar Harbor area you have to try the blue berry ice cream, and anything made from The Atlantic Brewing Company.