cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tricks for Faster Dicor Removal?

Billzo
Explorer
Explorer
I've noticed that the seams between the front cap and back cap and roof have split open after some brutal summers. So, it's time to redo them and a couple of other sections on the roof. I'd like to reduce the amount of time it takes to remove all of the old (I assume it's) Dicor on these seams. Any tricks? I've previously used putty knives and it's such a process.
2000 McKenzie Monaco 36RLT
2014 Ram 2500 HD Outdoorsman SLT Longbed
15 REPLIES 15

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
For removing teh Dicor, I use a plastic razor blade, available at most auto stores. Peels most if it right off without damaging the roof, then a quick cleanup with Mineral Spirits followed by Alcohol then apply the new Dicor.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Billzo
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I've got mineral spirits instead. I've read all about the acetone versus mineral spirits debate and am using it carefully.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
From Eternabond site

Cleaning Recommendations

For EPDM and metal clean with a "hot" (fast evaporating) solvent like - lacquer thinner, acetone, automotive brake parts cleaner, or a commercial EPDM cleaner, or a good, non-residue leaving cleaner.
For thermoplastic roofs like PVC, TPO, Hypalon, score the surface of with a Scotch-brite like pad (or equal), sand cloth a sanding sponge, etc. Wipe off dust.
For rusty metal modified / granulated roofs, stucco, concrete, wood or other porous surfaces - blow or brush off loose or heavy dust / dirt. Coat surface with a light coat of EternaPrimeยฎ.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Id be real careful with Acetone....its a little aggresive. I suspect your 2000 has EPDM but one thing Acetone will do is melt most plastics such as vent flanges etc. It will also melt TPO or the newer PVC roof membranes.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Billzo
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Clean with acetone and cover with Eternabond.

Ok, thanks.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Clean with acetone and cover with Eternabond.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Billzo wrote:
I've got the Eternabond, what do you recommend to clean the old stuff for the best adhesion?

I've got an oscillator, I'll look around for a blade.

Eternabond makes a spray adhesion!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

Billzo
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, the two seams are done and I'm looking at some of the vents. The problem I'm asking about now wasn't as much a problem with the seems because I removed so much of the old caulking, but now what I'm looking at is basically what looks like ground in dirt in the caulking. I'm thinking a plastic brush and a cleaner is going to be required.

Wo can the Eternabond just be applied over what looks like dirty caulk? It -has- been surface cleaned but wow, it still looks bad.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
Billzo wrote:
I've got the Eternabond, what do you recommend to clean the old stuff for the best adhesion?

The directions on the tape tell you to clean the area with mineral spirits before applying eternabond tape. They recommend rolling it after application to cause a chemical reaction for better bonding.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Billzo wrote:

Do a search there is a recommended solvent. Of course they will sell you theirs at a BIG cost.

Oscillator??? Why and blade for what? Simply clean it and cover it.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Billzo
Explorer
Explorer

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Leave it, clean it and install Eternabond over the seam side to side

x2
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Leave it, clean it and install Eternabond over the seam side to side.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
They make special caulk removal blades for oscillating tools - there rounded and if used correctly won't damage rubber roofs.
Kevin