cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip down I-5 through southern Oregon

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned home from a trip uup to Linden, WA, Bellingham and Federal Way, WA. Never saw such beautiful NW weather in the years we have gone up there. In the high 70's to mid 80's every day. Mt. Baker stood out more beautiful than Mt. Rainier!
Started home from Dash Point State park on Tuesday. Good trip down to just above Salem where I refueled. (Was happy with 10.1 mpg)Had intended to spend the night in Grants Pass. Near 7 Feathers, I noticed it getting pretty hazy and by the time we got 30 miles further down there was a sign advising travelers to watch out for heavy smoke. Before getting to Grants Pass, it was like driving in heavy fog, and I do mean heavy. At t he first GP exit, could only see about 100 yds., and I was beginning to have lung problems. Decided to drive to Medford. Not much better, so we ate and continued on. Over the pass was as smoky as Medford and the radio said there were 4 different fires to the west of GP and Medford. Yreka was a little clearer, but not much. Finally stopped at the Shasta rest area about 30 miles above Redding, CA. We got there about 9 p.m. and lots of room. When I got up around 6, every space was full and trucks were out on the highway. It looked like every trucker S/B out of Oregon did the same thing I did. At least the sky was blue and only a little haze!
Drove down to Vacaville and fueled at Sam's Club. Got 11.9 mpg! Not bad at all.
Still hacking and coughing, but I guess I will survive.
Check the smaoke before going north from Redding and South from Seven Fethers. You may not want to stop!
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP

9 REPLIES 9

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to service your air filter and change your oil early, your engine had to breathe that smoke too.

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about all the fires and smoke. Seven Feathers is a very nice RV Park. 13 miles further South of Seven Feathers along I5 is one of our favorite Restaurants and Bakeries. Heaven on Earth. The homemade Cinnamon Rolls are out of this world.

Heaven on Earth

Bit_Bucket
Explorer
Explorer
mike-uswest wrote:
You should live here, it makes for tough breathing. We are heading to the coast tomorrow in hopes to get out of it.

Mike

Come on over to Brookings, nice clean air here!

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
We were staying at Stewart State Park east of Medford late last week right when the fires started. We're glad we departed when we did on Sunday before it got bad. On the plus side the Sunset last Friday with the light smoke was GORGEOUS! ๐Ÿ™‚ wife's lungs weren't happy and we were glad to get into clear air on our way back north.
2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
You should live here, it makes for tough breathing. We are heading to the coast tomorrow in hopes to get out of it.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

daveor
Explorer
Explorer
If you would have stayed at Seven Feathers you prob would not have gotten smoked out,, I live in Canyonville and we have had very little smoke here,, Tuesday morning we had quite a bit, but gone by late afternoon.

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
My sister living in Corvallis heard the jet boat trips were also cancelled because of the smoke
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Rogue River Jet Boat....

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
The white water rafting trips on the Rogue River out of Grants Pass have been canceled due to the smoke preventing helicopter rescues (if needed). The Shakespeare Festival down in Ashland, OR has have some cancelled performances as well.

It's bad.
Kathy