cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

trip routing web site

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
any ideas? I'm looking for a trip routing web site where I can not only put in points A and B , but tell it that I only want to travel a certain amount of miles per day. Such as VA to AZ but looking to stop every 150 miles. Ideally it would list campgrounds in the area of the suggested stops, but if it only gives town names, I can use RVparkreviews.com from there. Suggestions?
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
10 REPLIES 10

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Delorme Topo North America 10 lets you pick starting and stopping locations. Advanced route planning will let you enter how many hours a day you want to drive or how many miles a day you want to drive.

It also lets you enter your gas/fuel mileage and how many gallon you will begin with so it can indicate fueling stops too. Another feature is fuel cost per gallon, and what you estimate for MPG to figure trip fuel costs.

You can set way points, and "via" points to route you to specific stops that you want to visit.

Another nice feature is the profile button. Select a route and Topo will provide you a profile showing elevations gained or lost. You can scan the profile and see on the map where you're going to hit steep sections.

Very handy.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
We like RV Trip Wizard.

Not free but well worth it...for us.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Microsoft Streets and Trips!
I use the 2011 version. It works good! Roads and highways do not change that much. Sometimes the name or highway numbers change, but route is still good.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
You may not want to spend the money, but as stated above, Microsoft Streets and Trips does what you want. For some reason, Microsoft decided to quit producing the software, but you can still buy copies on Ebay Streets and Trips

Even older versions still work well. You can set the start/stop time, miles per day, speed, how often to stop for a break, your fuel economy and gas prices. Once you enter the point A to B stops, it will calculate it all for you. You can even print out a hard copy of the route, or save it on the computer for future use.

We've been using it for years. If you highlight your end point, you can search, by a radius you determine, for campgrounds in the area. As stated above, we then go to RV Park Reviews and check out the campgrounds. When we're on the road in a new area, we do the above search the evening before, identify two campgrounds and then the next day we call ahead for availability.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is no single program that will do as you ask that I know of. Then there is the problem of; If you do it on line, can you revise it underway?

I have just finished the itinerary for a three week, 3K+ mile excursion. It is all printed and punched and it will probably be junk by the end of day 2.

Then there is the problem that I still have not found a single source that lists all the campgrounds anywhere. While we rarely use regular campgrounds, I am often stumbling on a small one that is not listed on the sites (usually three) that I checked.

As good as you can get (IMHO) is to use a combination of Street Atlas, and the on-line campground locators. SA can be set for miles or hours of daily travel (and give you a guess about fuel too). Once you know where to look, you are set to campground hunt. There are some overlays for campgrounds available, but none of those available is complete.

Good Luck

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I still use streets and trips. Even though the latest version is 2013 and no longer updated, it is still the best for what you are looking for. Not sure if you could even a "leftover" version but I use it lots for exactly what you are looking for.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
What you described is Microsoft Streets and Trips which is now obsolete software even though it was great for just what you are asking about. Search the forum for streets and trips alternatives. There was a thread recently with online options but I haven't tried them.

As already posted, you'll need multiple tools for campground reviews but that shouldn't be a deal breaker.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
I use mapquest. I put in my final destination. It routes it out. I then look at all the points on and around the route and add them in. Then I put my route in Garmin with all the via points and I'm ready to go! DW is very spontaneous and adventurous and we usually end up someplace else and ignore Garmin and mapquest. ?? we once planned a trip from south Florida, to NY, to Colorado. Ended up in Algonquin Canada. Didn't get to Colorado till twenty years later. I love that woman!!!
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Free Map Tools.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
If I understand you correctly you want some programmer in India to plan your trip. . . :S . . I use a combination of paper maps and Garmin's BaseCamp to plan my trip. I plan my trip on the large screen desktop computer so I can zoom in on road junctions. I also use Google street view to get a view of detail junctions and campgrounds.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos