cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trying to decde which locks...

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about getting new door locks for our 5'er, since most are common keyed systems. We have found two different ones that we liked, they are combination / keyed systems. Our question is this... which one would be the better choice. We keep the 5'er in a storage lot about 2 mi. from our house. The first one is made by RV Lock, the second made by Bauer MFG. Both are listed on E-Bay For some reason I cannot get pics of them to post here.
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W
8 REPLIES 8

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I agree a travel trailer is not very secure.

Check with your insurance agent about theft from an unlocked trailer.

I use the RV Lock mainly for the convenience. Do not need to have a key and anyone in the family or my traveling party can unlock the trailer.

As such we are able to keep the trailer locked at all times as we do not have to worry about locking someone or our selves out because they or we forgot to have a key with us.

I would not go back to a key system after using the RV Lock.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your inputs... The only thing we have really of value is what came with the 5'r. TV's, Microwave, etc. anything of personal real value we keep at home and load / unload as needed.
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Just looked up on the internet and they cost $239 for one! I think my insurance policy is less than that.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had commercial deadbolts installed on the door and an alarm system for the cab. Determined thieves can be slowed but not stopped unless the thing makes an attention-grabbing racket and you're parked where others are nearby.

I also second the suggestion to never put your rig in storage with valuables inside. Your valuables should be at home or in a safety deposit box when not in use.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the others, too easy to get into any RV. Have a good insurance policy instead.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I have the RVLOck brand and they work well. Very convenient no key required keyless entry is nice. However I don't think the RV lock will keep any true burglars out

Have it also and I agree.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
In terms of real security I don't think it matters. RV's are easily accessible to a determined thief.
I have the RVLOck brand and they work well. Very convenient no key required keyless entry is nice. However I don't think the RV lock will keep any true burglars out
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
$20 lock to protect a $2 door..........

A 99 cent large screw driver will defeat any RV door or compartment lock.

Thieves do NOT care about damaging things

Things of value..remove prior to storage.
Items that can not be easily removed.........good insurance policy

Just my opinion
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31