cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TST Tire Pressure Monitor System - Interim Update

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after reading and reading and reading, and researching, finally, decided to go with the TST TPMS, which I ordered today.

Won't get it to install until we arrive in NY next week. Then a 1k mile trip to test them out.

I sure hope they work without any headaches. One thing, it appears that the customer service with TST is outstanding. Customer service is the most important consideration for me, along with product quality. If they can be equalized, then it's a no brainer. Along with Value, hopefully it is a win, win.

There were less expensive and more expensive tpms units out there, but tst kept coming to to the surface.

Since 0'76, we have had a blow out on one TT, and 2 blowouts on a former class c. Luckily, no vehicle damage occurred on either.

We were approaching a Semi on I65, and before we caught up to him, a trailer tire blew. Not much traffic, and we ended up dodging flying tread, etc until we could get out of the way.

Tires get a lot of my attention, now I will have another MH toy and a sister for the GPS to play around with.
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic
17 REPLIES 17

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed 6 TST 507RV Tire Sensors on the Toad and 2 front tires of the MH. I will install sensors on the rear tires next week when the weather clears.

After a little learning curve on setting the sensors to be read by the monitor, I tested the sensors on the Toad by using the monitor while driving a couple hundred miles around the area going different locations on the Interstate and city roads.

Once set, it works great. Now while towing I don't have to be too concerned about the tires, if i pick up a nail etc.

I received the initial shipment from tst in 3 days at a temporary address. I will receive the additional 4 sensors today 3 days after placing the second order.

The car has short rubber valve stems. They are situated with enough clearance that they do not rub against the wheel covers while running down the interstate. However, when I get a chance, I will probably change out the rubber stems for metal.

The MH has steel tire stems. It was a little challenge getting them on the front wheels due to the location of the tire cover. I needed about 1/4" to be able to install them without hitting the wheel covers. I talked to a tech at a local trucking company, and he told me I could carefully bend the stem. He indicated that is what they do all the time on the big trucks when installing them. I used a rachet and socket as he suggested, and very carefully bent the stem the 1/4" needed for clearance.

The monitor picked up all 6 tires within seconds and as I monitored them during the day, the heat from the sun caused a change which was recorded on the monitor.

I am convinced and confident that the system works as advertised.

One more toy, but an important one. I did a lot of research on tpms systems over the last year. I think they all may be comparable, but I went with the tst for the ability to change the batteries myself, and their reputation for customer service.

The sensors are lightweight and easy to install with the special wrench sent with the package. They sent 2 wrenches, I keep one in the car and one in the MH.

Good Luck with your choice.
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

dave_smith1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a set last year with the flow-through sensors. Worked great, except the length of the longer sensor combined with the angle of the valve stem (metal) allowed them to project beyond the sidewall of the tire! I actually busted up one when I scrubbed a curb at a dump station, so I contacted TST who exchanged them for the "old style" button sensors - even the damaged one - at no charge. Now they tuck in nicely & are well-protected! Just sayin...
Regards,
Dave & Kristi Smith
----------------------
2013 Arctic Fox 29-5K FW
2011 Ford F350 Lariat
Visit our RV site!

Still_Searchin_
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Doran360 tpms and have been happy with it. Have never locked them in place or had one come off my metal stems. Doran does say NOT to tighten them too tight as that can damage the inner seal. I was also impressed with the TST demo in Quartzite. I do take the sensors off when not traveling to save the built-in batteries. My first set of sensors lasted just over 4 years.
2011 Jayco Eagle Lite 256rks 28ft. travel trailer; Reese SC hitch
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 6L w/3.73 differential
Member: TTN, Escapees, Good Sam
3x around USA, traveling about 6 mo/year

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
TST owner here for about a year and a half and satisfied with the product. I've got the older style with the replaceable batteries. Did not use locktite.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
I also check all vehicle tire temps whenever we stop with a point and shoot thermometer. Just look for one that is significantly different from the rest. Gives you something to do while the gas pump is taking all of your money. Cheap and easy to do. I have also used the same pressure monitors. They work well. No need for loctite.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
Have had the TST system for several years now and love them.

Though I don't remembering that they caution about over tightening their sensors on the stems I just wonder how many users immediately snug them down REAL tight and then have problems with them leaking in the near future. You've got a real tiny o-ring in there that likely could be crushed fairly easy. Maybe on a new installation go easy on the tightening and then observe for any leaks. Or use soapy water. Just a thought.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

GrumpyGator
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the tst system about a year ago. Recently I upgraded my sensors to the new "pass thru" sensors. They offered to give me a discount for trading in my original sensors.

I had an issue making the new ones work (my fault) so on a recent trip to FL I took a small detour near Atlanta and Mike at TST calibrated everything for me and showed me what I did wrong.

Worked great with the older sensors, works great with the new sensors. You won't be disappointed.
2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input and your thoughts.

Looking forward to getting them installed.

I'll post the results and how they work after install and running with them for awhile.
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
Now that you have a few days till it arrives, you can put on metal valve stems if you haven't already. JMO

Thanks, the RV came with metal valves, that won't be an issue.

The valves are a little close to the wheel covers, which may take some adjustment.
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trackrig wrote:
I would not use Loctite on them if you ever want to get them off. To remove something with red Loctite, it often requires heat. With the blue loctite it requires a lot of torque. When I mounted my towing baseplates to my Jeep Wrangler, on the driver's side, you use the bolts that hold on the steering gear box. The factory used blue loctite on them. My impact wrench, a very high torqe IR model wouldn't do it. I had to use a 1/2" x 18" breaker bar with a cheater pipe to get them out. I realize there's a differance between your valve stems and my steering bolts, but I think if you use Loctite on them, you'll ruin either them or the air monitors when you have to remove one. If you have problems getting them to seal, I'd use just a touch of noon-hardening pipe dope on them.

Bill

I've used Loctite Blue 242 for years on bolts and nuts that require eventual disassembling, including TPMS sensors and valve extensions, without any issues. That's what the Blue 242 formula is for, and it has always worked fine for me. Don't confuse "Loctite Blue" with "Loctite Red" that is sometimes packaged in a nearly identical tube though.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I didn't use any thread treatment since the sensor seals with an o-ring type gasket so there isn't any chance of leaky threads. The flow-through sensors come with a locking bolt to keep them securely in place.

I don't know what you're putting them on but the metal valve stems are a good investment.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Now that you have a few days till it arrives, you can put on metal valve stems if you haven't already. JMO
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not use Loctite on them if you ever want to get them off. To remove something with red Loctite, it often requires heat. With the blue loctite it requires a lot of torque. When I mounted my towing baseplates to my Jeep Wrangler, on the driver's side, you use the bolts that hold on the steering gear box. The factory used blue loctite on them. My impact wrench, a very high torqe IR model wouldn't do it. I had to use a 1/2" x 18" breaker bar with a cheater pipe to get them out. I realize there's a differance between your valve stems and my steering bolts, but I think if you use Loctite on them, you'll ruin either them or the air monitors when you have to remove one. If you have problems getting them to seal, I'd use just a touch of noon-hardening pipe dope on them.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
I love my TST system. I had an issue with the battery not holding a charge. I emailed to see if I could get a replacement battery. They had me send the unit in and they sent me a new monitor.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.