cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unbelievable price differences

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
First let me say up front that i will not tell you who the rv dealers are). While looking around getting ideas for our first class C motorhome, i went online and looked at the same exact new model of motorhome and one dealer had the unit for 101,000.00 dollars (supposedly a "discounted sale price") while another one had the same unit WITH auto leveling jacks for 73,195.00! both are larger volume dealers. So i guess its worth doing our homework. I was shocked by the difference,
Proud father of a US Marine
14 REPLIES 14

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
First let me say up front that i will not tell you who the rv dealers are). While looking around getting ideas for our first class C motorhome, i went online and looked at the same exact new model of motorhome and one dealer had the unit for 101,000.00 dollars (supposedly a "discounted sale price") while another one had the same unit WITH auto leveling jacks for 73,195.00! both are larger volume dealers. So i guess its worth doing our homework. I was shocked by the difference,

Let us know what make and length of motorhome are you talking about, sometimes low prices end up much higher after the fees and such.

drleen
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a '14 Itasca Navion. I got quotes from all over the country including near home (Minneapolis). We ended up purchasing from 2 hours south of us in Iowa. Not the lowest price, but a good price and only 2 hours away. Our local dealer responded to me 6 weeks after I requested a quote and was $14k more than we paid. I did note even bother responding. If you want my business, come forward with your best offer. With the internet I have the world at my fingertips and you know that. I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you to sell me an RV. They must just rely on people not doing their homework.

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
I did basically what Bob & Ann described. Offered a local dealer $30K on a 43K list Mountaineer. Said I'd rather buy it from him than go to Michigan. He hemmed and hawed, then said OK. Worked out perfectly.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the cheaper dealer is no haggling price. Other dealer is msrp minus 25\30% is about same as cheaper dealer
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
This has become an internet world. First sit down and spec out exactly what you want. Then ask four dealers over the internet to give you a quote for the exact unit; out the door. You will be surprised the wide range that you will receive. Then take your best price to the dealer by you which I would also include in your email quote list. Tell them to match the price or you will go elsewhere and most likely they will match the lowest price quote. Good luck.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

rvsolutions
Explorer
Explorer
some reason we can't know the identity of the dealers?
Don & Kathy Irvine

2013 Winnebago Via R,
2010 CRV Behind,
Lexie the Westie in charge!
FMCA 119467

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Volume does make a difference. The trailer we are looking at right now, I received 2 quotes with 7k difference from dealers that are only 80 miles apart. The lowest price came from Camping World.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:

Online search- were the two dealers in different parts of the country?

There can be major differences depending on the local market. Just try to get a "price" on a new unit from a mfr. like Forest River. If they give you a "quote" at all, they'll determine your location first. And some of the time they'll just "refer you to a dealer in your location", which amounts to the same thing.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
romore wrote:
I bet the first dealer offers great discounts off supposed MSRP.:B

Well, the first dealership did have a "make an offer" also listed under the price... I wonder what they would say if i offered $30,000.00 less. ๐Ÿ˜‰
If that is the one you want, I would start at $60K and see where he wants to really start at.....LOL

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Scott_85
Explorer
Explorer
Could be like where I got my camper and they charge way too much in fees.
TV: 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie, G56, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch.
5er: 2013 Coachmen Chaparral 280RLS

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
romore wrote:

Well, the first dealership did have a "make an offer" also listed under the price... I wonder what they would say if i offered $30,000.00 less. ๐Ÿ˜‰

You won't know until you try.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
The first dealer just wants to get you on the phone.
If you offered the same 73,195.00 they would probably take it.

Of course if you offered 83,195.00 they would take that too.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:

Proud father of a US Marine

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II