Did you mean:ย 

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
10 REPLIES 10

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of us have tried to communicate with our Federal and State Legislators about that. Invariably State Officials reject it.
The Heads of most Fish and Game or now Wildlife Agencies thanks to Bird Watchers are law Enforcement Officers.
Everything has to be permitted or licensed.
License Fees are exorbitant. Some local sentiments want to keep out of staters from fishing and hunting in their states. however the biggest drivers is revenue.
A hunting and fishing license all species and all fish used to be 7.00 and 10.00, I think out of state. It is now over 125.in state with all the stamps etc. Out of state is, without looking, double that.
Under 16 and on your own land you didn't need a license. then the creep started and the Birdwatchers took over. We pay the freight for their enjoyment.
You cannot paddle a log across a stream without a boating education course and registration on the log here now.
You cannot park to fish or hike a trail without paying from 3.00 to 10.00.
It generates a lot of money from fees and fines.
More fees and fines generate a lot more money for more Enforcement Officers who write more tickets and the circle grows.
ironic that our taxes pay for our national Forest and BLM Lands but we can't fish or hunt without paying anywhere from hundreds of dollars up. Our tax dollars go for Federal Fish Hatcheries and wildlife management fees but we are denied the use without huge dollars from our pockets for the individual states.
A lot of people says that is not much money why are you protesting etc.
A few hundred dollars is in addition to budgets not the only items.
Those, of us making less than seven figures, many of us, anyway, it hurts. and then it is about equability.
So we have to keep after our federal Legislators, as if it does any good.
You would thin at least Disabled Veterans or all Veterans would be granted the ability to fish and hunt in other states. After all their sacrifices and suffering was for all the states.

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
I wish ALL the states would get together and reciprocally honor the home state fishing license for seniors, like the agreement between Oklahoma & Texas. DW & I do a fair amount of fishing, almost always vacation with me towing the 5er & her towing the boat. And that OK-TX reciprocal license recognition has a LOT to do with where we decide to vacate.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Free fishing day?
Below zero wind chills?
Just bring your ice auger?
Don't think I'm gonna travel hundreds of miles to enjoy that experience.
Michigan's lakes are great...in the summer!

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
If you are over 70 AND a resident here in NM you fish free but you still need the license on your person. Under 12 yrs old no license required. Curious though: since a 12 yr old does not have an ID wonder how they know if they are under 12.

There are the two free fishing days here too.

I like CA where you can fish in the ocean, without a license if it is from a man made pier or jetty. OF course I have never caught anything from a CA pier or jetty but everyone else seems to have the right bait ๐Ÿ™‚
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Don't you just love how our state govt's are so generous? If you are old enough you remember when all it took to go fishing was a cane pole and dig up some worms.

In many cases, a child can still do that without having to purchase a license.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't you just love how our state govt's are so generous? If you are old enough you remember when all it took to go fishing was a cane pole and dig up some worms.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
If it's too cold for any of you, Michigan has two more free days on 6/6 & 6/7. Most states have at least one "free" fishing day where you can fish without a license. Many of them are scheduled during National Fishing and Boating Week (June 6th - 13th). Here's a link for more information.

National Fishing and Boating Week

It's a great time to get a child involved in outdoor activities such as camping, fishing, boating, and conservation.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
michigansandzilla wrote:
down home wrote:
Michigan has Free Fishing Days for both Residents and Non Residents.

So if you're heading to Michigan Saturday and Sunday, Feb 14 and 15. Get your tackle out, also some long johns catalytic heaters, artic suits, mickey mouse boots, and see your Phsy Doctor to make sure you can or should.
High is going to be balmy single digits and teens.
Don't smile when you make that record catch, for the camera. Your dentures will freeze together.

yep. With the wind chill, southeastern Michigan is supposed to be -30 on Sunday. Have fun fishing!

Don't ya just love the Change of Seasons :>) Too bad that I will miss it but I just had to party in New Orleans.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't this thread be titled

"Freee(zing) Fishing Days"
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Michigan has Free Fishing Days for both Residents and Non Residents.

So if you're heading to Michigan Saturday and Sunday, Feb 14 and 15. Get your tackle out, also some long johns catalytic heaters, artic suits, mickey mouse boots, and see your Phsy Doctor to make sure you can or should.
High is going to be balmy single digits and teens.
Don't smile when you make that record catch, for the camera. Your dentures will freeze together.

yep. With the wind chill, southeastern Michigan is supposed to be -30 on Sunday. Have fun fishing!
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog