cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using 4wd to slow down

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
I was reading the last issue of trailer life, the article a couple wrote about looking for a new truck. In the article they said that when going down a step grade they will put their truck in 4wd low and low gear to help slow down. I would like to know if this is common practice. I would have never thought about doing that, is this something that the trucks transmission can handle.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly
66 REPLIES 66

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
TooManyTents wrote:
Please translate "EB" and "EH".

Exhaust brake and tow haul.
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
kofire wrote:
I would imagine they are referring to putting the transfer case in 4-lo. It's still in 2wd until the front hubs are locked. There's nothing wrong with it at all. It won't hurt anything.
Some will some will not. Many front hubs are automatic.
Yeah... That started around 1973. Soon after, manual hubs were an option
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
kofire wrote:
I would imagine they are referring to putting the transfer case in 4-lo. It's still in 2wd until the front hubs are locked. There's nothing wrong with it at all. It won't hurt anything.
Some will some will not. Many front hubs are automatic.

kofire
Explorer
Explorer

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Question.......
ALL that wide open area and you had to get the 'back-in' site :B

Trying to leave a minimal footprint. Besides, I need the backing practice. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Question.......

LOL :B
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
bpounds wrote:
I know most of you here just go from one full service resort to the next, but some of us have a little more developed sense of adventure. ๐Ÿ™‚

I used low range pulling my fiver just a couple of weekends ago. The road was rocky, rough, and somewhat steep. It wasn't the grade so much as it was the need to go very slow over the bumps. Needed 4WD for sure. When leaving, I would have been riding the brakes most of the mile out of there, just to controls the speed over bumps. This isn't exactly what the OP described, but we don't really know do we?

This is about as rough as I'm willing to do with a fifthwheel, but plenty of people are pulling small popups that can easily handle this stuff.

This was our campsite for Memorial Day weekend. No crazy partiers around us!

Exactly^^^^^^^^^^^^

Question.......
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I know most of you here just go from one full service resort to the next, but some of us have a little more developed sense of adventure. ๐Ÿ™‚

I used low range pulling my fiver just a couple of weekends ago. The road was rocky, rough, and somewhat steep. It wasn't the grade so much as it was the need to go very slow over the bumps. Needed 4WD for sure. When leaving, I would have been riding the brakes most of the mile out of there, just to controls the speed over bumps. This isn't exactly what the OP described, but we don't really know do we?

This is about as rough as I'm willing to do with a fifthwheel, but plenty of people are pulling small popups that can easily handle this stuff.

This was our campsite for Memorial Day weekend. No crazy partiers around us!

2006 F250 Diesel

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
We really need a link to the article before passing judgment.

Otherwise if low gear will not provide enough braking while towing on a paved surface you may have the wrong vehicle. And yes if going VERY slow down a dirt road using 4LO and first gear is fine.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
What does stopping have to do with it? You stop. You shift. You go.

Obviously the OP is paraphrasing the article, and what I'm getting at is that, no he should not do that with his travel trailer. But not everyone is pulling a travel trailer.

Also, a common modification made to new trucks is the ability to engage low range, while still in 2WD. Guys will use that on pavement and no harm is done to the truck. That could be useful on steep grades for some situations.
2006 F250 Diesel

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Huh? Like many stated you would have to stop. But 4 low and in low gear? That would be a top speed of 5 MPH I wouldn't even do that on a forest service road. If I was on any rode that was that steep the TT wouldn't be behind me, it would be at the camp site.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
craig7h wrote:
I was reading the last issue of trailer life, the article a couple wrote about looking for a new truck. In the article they said that when going down a step grade they will put their truck in 4wd low and low gear to help slow down. I would like to know if this is common practice. I would have never thought about doing that, is this something that the trucks transmission can handle.

Everyone here seems to only think about their own rigs, on the highway, pavement, etc.

We didn't read the article, and it might not have gone into detail anyway. But the couple could easily own a truck and trailer for off-road use. There are plenty of pop-up trailers designed for getting off-road. And yes, going into low range on a steep descent works great at holding the load. If you need low range to climb the hill, you probably need it for descending as well.
2006 F250 Diesel

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Several posters have already mentioned it. How do you get into 4lo while moving?

The OP's next question will probably be, what's that grinding noise and why isn't my 4WD working? :B

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You have to stop to put into 4 low on the rigs I know about. I am sure a person could do so and let it go thru the gears and lock out the one that holds the speed where a person wants. Still think the right tool for the job is a better idea.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would also be worried about the RPM of the engine.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator