cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using a Ceramic Heater

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
I was recently told that to save propane, bring along one of the mini cube ceramic heaters and run it off shore power. It sounds like a great way to save propane.
The interesting part is that I was told to bring along a standard 120v lawnmower extension cord and instead of pulling 1500w off the trailer power, plug the extension cord into the pole, as my trailer is 30A, there will almost always be a 20/15A standard plug beside it not being used.
This where the dumb question comes in... if I am running an additional cord, how does someone run the extension cord into the trailer without letting the bugs in, and not being able to close/lock the door etc. The whole idea of having the trailer sealed tight is to keep the mice, ants out, which would make it difficult to get a temporary cord in. Does anyone do this and have a brilliant solution to get the cord into the trailer???
Thanks
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com
20 REPLIES 20

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't use any of the electric heaters that have open flame, red hot cores, etc as they would have to be turned off when we were not around. You have no idea what roams the floors and walls in your trailer at least we don't haha.. You also don't have worry about a curtain catching on fire as well...

I would seriously think about the oil-filled no open flame type heaters. They will warm up as good as any of them. BTU's is BTU's

Just my thoughts on heaters...

Oh we also use the 20AMP Service at the camp ground pedestals all the time. They are on separate breakers so its free to use and won't take away from your 30AMP side. WIN WIN WIN for us. As a matter of fact this is the power that runs my oil-filled heaters when we use them.

Look around you should be able to find a way into your trailer. Perhaps the seal around the storage bay door will let you run a an extension cord thru and still close the door. Some folks add a MALE weather tight 120VAC 20AMP receptacle on the side of the trailer behind a lid door. Then they have a special 120VAC extension cord that fits their MALE receptacle...

Definitely a way to gain some more power in your trailer for sure...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
rollexx wrote:
We have been using the mini cube for years. Rarely have to use the furnace other than for a quick heat up in the morning. Unless you are planning on using 2 it isn't a problem just using an inside plug. We do have to turn it off when wife uses her hair dryer but that's it.

X2
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

rollexx
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using the mini cube for years. Rarely have to use the furnace other than for a quick heat up in the morning. Unless you are planning on using 2 it isn't a problem just using an inside plug. We do have to turn it off when wife uses her hair dryer but that's it.

Rescue16
Explorer
Explorer
Run a power cord in the hole where you put your 30 AMP power cord in and connect it to a outlet. I installed a outlet on the wall next to my power inverter which is powered by the power cord directly. when I unplug the 30 amp power cord and stuff it in the hole for travel I Stuff the power cord in along with it.
Rescue 16 - United States Navy Retired and Proud
Lovely Wife Carla ๐Ÿ™‚
The Crew Alicia and Johnathan :B
The Camping Dog Kamp Chaos ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Keystone Cougar 32RBK
2006 Ford F350 Crew Cab Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you don't have your profile filled out, we don't know what you have for an RV, so any comment is pretty much a guess.

However, as a general comment, a heater (at 11 to 12.5 amps) running still leaves lots of capacity from a 30 amp pedestal.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
If you have slide outs snake the cord out around the seals that's what I do with my Sat wire.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu