cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washing RV while traveling

joedekock
Explorer
Explorer
Curious what others do when it comes time to washing their RV while on the road. (Motor home, fiver, TT). A lot of campgrounds do not allow washing your unit on the site, and a lot of campgrounds don't have the means to anyway. I know some folks who camp at campgrounds where it is allowed, but its not in all cases. Driving hundreds or thousands of miles on the road dirty's the RV and I would like to wash it before parking it on a campsite for a week.

Fire away with suggestions and experiences. Thanks!
2019 Silverado 1500
2020 Coachmen Freedom Express 29SE
Me, Wife, 5 kids, and a Doodle
38 REPLIES 38

joefaison
Explorer
Explorer
However, quite honestly, the majority of truck wash facilities really don't do a great job on RV's. Now, we are not going to high-pressure spray the RV's body, as this may damage decals, paint, etc.

dedmiston
We drove through Blue Beacon again yesterday. We've used them in Phoenix, Vegas, and Barstow.

It cost us $47 yesterday to wash the pickup and 45' fiver. What a bargain.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
joedekock wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
We've never had an issue finding a campground that doesn't mind. Not every campground but enough that it's not an issue.

Also, it's common to see a large vehicle bay at car washes. I'm sure you could use that for under $10...that said, I'm not crazy about pressure washers on RVs. It's too easy to blast out caulk.
I won't use high pressure wash as it forces water into places it's not supposed to be and can destroy the sealant as you said. A bucket of soapy water and a RV wash brush from Wallyworld and I can wash the trailer in 30 minutes.

Interesting. So, you don't rinse off what you wash? What do you use for soap? I use an RV wash & wax that states you don't have to dry it after washing, but you still have to rinse it.
Yes I rinse with just a hose and use car wash soap that doesn't take off the wax. I don't dry the trailer.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Wash wax all
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Beacon truck washes have experience with RV’s. I’ve used them number of times with no problem.
https://bluebeacon.com/view-all-locations/
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
joedekock wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
We've never had an issue finding a campground that doesn't mind. Not every campground but enough that it's not an issue.

Also, it's common to see a large vehicle bay at car washes. I'm sure you could use that for under $10...that said, I'm not crazy about pressure washers on RVs. It's too easy to blast out caulk.
I won't use high pressure wash as it forces water into places it's not supposed to be and can destroy the sealant as you said. A bucket of soapy water and a RV wash brush from Wallyworld and I can wash the trailer in 30 minutes.

Interesting. So, you don't rinse off what you wash? What do you use for soap? I use an RV wash & wax that states you don't have to dry it after washing, but you still have to rinse it.

As best you can, keep the pressure washer nozzle a couple feet from the surface. That will reduce the pressure.

Also, try to avoid directly hitting openings, switches or anything sensitive. Also try to avoid shooting upward as much as possible as some windows and siding rely on water flowing top down to keep the interior dry.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Some campgrounds that say no on washing might let you if you ask nice and also during the week when they are less busy. One we were just in in South Dakota was like that and we paid them a extra $10 for the extra water use, I do use the wash wax all but after a month or more on the road it needed the extra love
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

joedekock
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

2019 Silverado 1500

joedekock
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
Some self-servce car washes have a high bay which you can pull the camper through. I usually take the truck and either ask (and pay any extra fees at a campground) or maybe do a side at a time... I have seen signs 10.00 to wash camper at site posted in the campground office.

Interesting. I just don't see many self serve car washes anymore.
2019 Silverado 1500

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some self-servce car washes have a high bay which you can pull the camper through. I usually take the truck and either ask (and pay any extra fees at a campground) or maybe do a side at a time... I have seen signs 10.00 to wash camper at site posted in the campground office.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find a truck car wash.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Some campgrounds will allow washing for an extra water use fee. Just ask. We had a bad case of mkildew from being parked under trees for a month. I paid an extra water fee, and the campground handyman washed it for us. Another time, there were several college kids working in the park, and They were glad to get some extra spending money for doing the job.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I too would suggest a truck wash for general on-the-road grime.

That being said, herewith a shout out to the campground in Russel, Kansas which allowed me to wash off the diesel oil sprayed all over my TT when my TV blew the oil seal on the high pressure oil line to the turbo. Even though the campground rules forbade washing your rig AND there was a truck wash just across the road, the obvious need to wash that oil off before it damaged the TT, and my lack of a TV to get it to that truck wash, they were kind enough to grant me an exception, and even came down to offer me a bottle of heavy duty degreaser. There are campground owners out there who have hearts and will bend over backwards to help you out, in spite of the horror stories you hear.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Self serve coin operated washes but I’m very careful with the high pressure. Back off!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad