cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water hoses for drinking

dave_330
Explorer
Explorer
does any one out there use any special hoses other than normal garden hoes?
80 REPLIES 80

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
pitch wrote:
milo wrote:
This is from The Association of RV Water Hose Users.

Not using a white approved RV hose could result in a 250 dollar fine & 10 days in jail if the water hose police catch you. So RV'ers better be on your best behavior and only use approved RV equipment.

You are out of date. This law has been modified as of last April.

RV'ers may use any color water hose as long as the first and last three inches (76.00mm) are wrapped in a white covering. In addition said hose will have a white band one inch(25.400mm) in width every two
inches (50.800mm)

If you are going to quote regulation please try to post the most current iteration of the ever changing legislation.

I think you have that specification reversed... me thinks it is a 2" white band every 1 inch (on center.)
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, we use a Valterra AquaFRESH in the summer, and a Valterra AquaFRESH heated hose in the winter (Utah). We never had any "taste" issues with them.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
The RV water hose police (called the "HO PO's" for short) issued me a $200 ticket last June. I never paid the fine so presumably there is warrant out for my arrest. I like to live life on the edge anyways, that's why I was using the garden hose to begin with (and continue to do so).

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
milo wrote:

Not using a white approved RV hose could result in a 250 dollar fine & 10 days in jail if the water hose police catch you. So RV'ers better be on your best behavior and only use approved RV equipment.

You are out of date. This law has been modified as of last April.

RV'ers may use any color water hose as long as the first and last three inches (76.00mm) are wrapped in a white covering. In addition said hose will have a white band one inch(25.400mm) in width every two
inches (50.800mm)

If you are going to quote regulation please try to post the most current iteration of the ever changing legislation.

my_crib_too
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased the Blue Camco 22833 Premium Drinking Water Hose two years ago for our seasonal site. After two summers of being in the sun and weather, the hose is done. Color is faded and the hose is no longer flexible and kinks. It was stored in our shed and drained over the winter but that did not help. So I need to get a new hose before we open for the 2016 season.

At home, I have Craftsman rubber hoses that have been out in the weather for 20 years and still are perfect. I never bring them, just drain them at the end of the season and store them next to the house over the winter.

So, before we open this year, I need to purchase a hose. This thread has some great conversation on not using a garden hose. The Teknor Apex 8602-25 NeverKink hose linked to from this thread seems cheaper than the Camco noted above. The Amazon reviews are not great. Does anyone have a suggestion for a quality hose that will last longer than two years or is buying a new hose every other year just another cost of camping and I should live with it?
Ford 2015 F250 Crew Lariat 6.7 diesel
2014 Sandpiper 393RL destination trailer

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II

Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Those are fine but try coiling when the temps get cool. IMHO these are the best hoses available I have found. NOT cheap but will last a lifetime. You can pick from a variety of lengths or have any length made you want. Also you can select from solid brass or SS ends that won't fall apart.

These hoses are flexible in COLD weather.

Not good with adding links maybe someone can help, thanks.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Hoses.htm

Here You Go

And Here is a easy way to make those clickable links. If you can post a URL in a post, it is easy to make it clickable.

Good to see the RV water filter store "custom" hoses finally got posted.

Sooo....use whatever you like - green garden hose, white hose from Wally, or??

The big diff to me is not the *quality* of the water from "any old hose", but the *quality* of the hose itself.

The RV Water Filter Store sells a hose that doesn't kink when stored, coils nicely in hot or cold weather, has quality couplings, avail in any length I choose, and won't "rupture" when you least expect it from over-pressure.
(yeah I use a Watts regulator).

Gets down to - do you want cheapO -or quality?...:@

Pull your (water) hose and be happy!...:C

~

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
I have a life mist water distiller in my home which I use for drinking, cooking, washing vegetables. It is also connected to my ice-maker. I always carry an adequate supply when on a camping trip... used mainly for making coffee.
Times fun when you're having flies!

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
The key word is DISTILLED

Everyone to their own thing. Distilled would be safe but as far as I'm concerned I've tasted distilled and I think I would have to rinse my socks in it or something to get a little taste.
Actually in my 76 years I've never worried to much about my water, drink from creeks, lakes, water hoses, countries all around the Mediterranean, Mexico, Central and South America with no ill effects. I realize of course, that I may someday get some water that might kill me. It might even be in the iced tea that I will have at a restaurant this evening but I am not going to become phobic about it.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
The key word is DISTILLED
Bill and Joey the dog

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
martipr wrote:
I continue to be amazed by the number of people who love to waste money buying bottled water which probably came from a municipal water supply, or from an even less controlled source.
I don't have any real objection to a regular hose and often use one at home to fill my fresh water tank before leaving but I always let it run for a good while first. Don't know if it makes any difference but I do it any way. When I am connected to a camp supply my water is pressure regulated, filtered and through an hose approved for potable water. By the way potable approved hoses be other colors than white.

Tasty

Not saying there were, have no idea, but it is entirely possible that thousands of bottles were filled with Flint's water.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
martipr wrote:
...potable approved hoses ...

Tasty

You can't blame the white hose, OR the garden hose laying on the ground for this mess! The garden hose on the ground with water coming out of a private well is probably better than this stuff any day! Shesh! They've got a real problem, don't they?

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
martipr wrote:
I continue to be amazed by the number of people who love to waste money buying bottled water which probably came from a municipal water supply, or from an even less controlled source.
I don't have any real objection to a regular hose and often use one at home to fill my fresh water tank before leaving but I always let it run for a good while first. Don't know if it makes any difference but I do it any way. When I am connected to a camp supply my water is pressure regulated, filtered and through an hose approved for potable water. By the way potable approved hoses be other colors than white.

Tasty
Bill and Joey the dog

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
martipr wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
tsetsaf wrote:
We have been fulltime for over 5 years now and these are the best available for the price Teknor DO NOT buy the CAMCO brand they suck big time.

Those are fine but try coiling when the temps get cool. IMHO these are the best hoses available I have found. NOT cheap but will last a lifetime. You can pick from a variety of lengths or have any length made you want. Also you can select from solid brass or SS ends that won't fall apart.

These hoses are flexible in COLD weather.

Not good with adding links maybe someone can help, thanks.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Hoses.htm
I use the Water Filter Sore for most things however from the website write up the hoses are 1/2" hoses. I can't see using less than a 5/8" hose.

I was skeptical but the 1/2" work just fine.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

martipr
Explorer
Explorer