cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

water in battery box

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting ready to add a cutoff to my battery. Pulled off the cover on my battery box and the box was almost full of water.

I am going to pull the battery and drill some small holes in the bottom of the box which should drain any future water.

Is there any reason not to drill drain holes in the battery box? ( on front of TT, Apex 249rbs )

Seems they should come with drains. Can't figure how that much water got in. Maybe I did not get the lid down properly last time. It is stuffed under the cap and not easy to get to.
15 REPLIES 15

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I have covered all 4 of my battery boxes vent holes with pieces of Eternabond. During periods of heavy rain enough rain water can get in through the vents on top to fill the box up. There is plenty of gap between the box and lid for venting. I got tired of dumping mine after Noreasters.

No need drilling holes. You'll just get acid on the trailer tongue.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Remove the battery before you drill.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
Lynnmor, You are saying to close up the vents on top? The openings for the wiring are pretty big and protected from rain water. Would those holes provide enough venting?

There should be plenty of venting, I always plug the vents.

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to drop a pinch of baking soda into the water. If it foams, it's not just water, but has some amount of battery acid in it.....meaning somehow your batteries are losing electrolyte.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
downtheroad wrote:
I have always drilled holes in my battery boxes. ...4 corners and one in the middle.

I will second that.. Do the same thing myself.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor, You are saying to close up the vents on top? The openings for the wiring are pretty big and protected from rain water. Would those holes provide enough venting?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to drill the holes well away from the frame below to help prevent rust. For many years now the RV dealers have been installing the wrong battery boxes. The type with no holes in the bottom and vents in the top are for marine use. The problem got so bad that the box manufacturers discontinued the proper boxes. Be sure to seal the top vents and see that there is space around the cables for venting.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I think the battery is ok. I plan on pulling it, checking the water level and giving it a good charge while installing the cut off switch.

Good point about what is under it that the water can drain onto. My spare is under the tongue so I will check that.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I once had a variety of electrical problems inside the trailer that ended up being water in the battery box that had frozen and expanded up over the top of the batteries. The batteries themselves were NOT frozen.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The only time I wouldn't drill drain holes is if the water was able to come in contact with something important and/or paint you had to be concerned about corrosion.
A buddy ended up with some terrible damage to the side of his truck when it leaded out of his TC.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always drill some drain holes in the corners.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
While you are at it better check your fluids in the battery. This may be where the water came from. This could be the result of a failed battery...

I too have drilled holes in the bottom of my my battery bank box...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drilled holes in mine and no more water. Pay attention to where you drill or the battery bottom may seal the holes. If the bottom has ridges, drill in the lower "trauffs", not the tops of the ridges where the battery will rest.

I assumed my water was coming from wheel spray when it rained.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.