cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water pressure regulator

tsduke03
Explorer
Explorer
I've read to much on this subject. I've been camping for years, but only a couple in a TT with water and all the amenities. Had not used a water pressure regulator until this last weekend because I keeping hearing you must use one.

I tried a cheap brass model on loan. Almost NO flow.

So now my question is, do I really need to spend a bunch? I see a lot of comments Watts, Watts, Watts, but is it really necessary.

This unit has decent reviews...
http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-1122VP-Lead-Free-Water-Regulator/dp/B003YJJHI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400679348&sr=8-1&keywords=water+pressure+regulator+rv

I know Valtera also has a better one but it's close to $50.
2011 Heartland 26FQB
33 REPLIES 33

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Our neighbor found his FW underbelly soaking wet last Sunday morning. Started searching for the leak and I noticed he had no regulator. He said he had just forgot to install it when he set up. I mentioned to him that the CG we were in had water pressure of 120psi.

When he hooked up the regulator, the leak disappeared. I'd say he's lucky that some hoses didn't burst or pop the connector.

falconman wrote:
I read dozens of posts about water pressure regulators, are there really that many incidents of ruptured pipes? I have a regulator that I keep at 70 psi but I also turn off the water when I leave.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
falconman wrote:
I read dozens of posts about water pressure regulators, are there really that many incidents of ruptured pipes? I have a regulator that I keep at 70 psi but I also turn off the water when I leave.

once one time to somebody is enough for me. cheap insurance.
bumpy

falconman
Explorer
Explorer

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I stick to the cheap brass ones and change it out about every two years or so when grit or corrosion start weakening the flow too much. We live in our rv about six months a year with half of that being along the coast so we do end up with sand and stuff blocking it over time. Cheap ones work just fine; I attach it to the spigot to protect the hose connectors also from high pressures.

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Valterra high flow regulator that is all stainless steel and was purchased from Amazon. It replaced a Watts 123A that was only 4 years old. The SS Valterra has just as good flow and pressure as the Watts. Less than $20. :B
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
We got a Watts in 2000 .....9 years of fulltiming and 5 years as a camper. It is still running like clockwork. Did have to replace the gauge last week....so that has cost us less than $5/year ๐Ÿ™‚
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
No, you don't need a $50 regulator.

Strange that there is no flow rating to the one you linked.

Here's one that's preset at 50 PSI. I have a similar one I've been using for years. You really don't want to go much higher than that because the lines aren't made to handle the pressure most of us are used to at home.

Many people never use a regulator. Yes, you have to put up with lower flow. But you don't ever want to find yourself having to replace plumbing. A regulator is cheap insurance.

The $10 "regulators" are really simply - flow restrictors.

No you don't need a $50 regulator......until the cheap-o $10. variety fails. (You simply buy a new one - for another $10 bucks)
One poster says he buys one every year.....hummmmm $10 x ??

Anyway - No big deal when the flow is restricted - but it is a VERY BIG deal when the pressure is too high and a water line leaks or breaks

Like electrical surge protection, a quality regulator = cheap insurance!

A good Watts regulator is about $50-60 and well worth the money, available at Lowe's or Home Depot - and will probably outlast the RV you use it on.

"Murphy" is watching - and patiently waiting...:W

~

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
Interesting timing for this subject.

About 2 weeks ago I pulled into a campground and for the first time ever, a campground owner cautioned me about the water pressure there. Told me it was real high and I absolutely should use a pressure regulator. If you didn't have one, what would you do ?

I used a Valterra adjustable model with a pressure gage until today. About 3 weeks ago, it started leaking a spray of water at one of the long casting joints. It is brass, was not a cheap model and had been in full time use for only about 4 months. Reading Amazon reviews, mine was not the only one to fail like this. Yes, I could call the manufacturer and maybe they would send me a replacement but I don't want another one, thank you very much.

I now have a Watts adjustable model sitting on the table in front of me to be installed tomorrow. So maybe all those folks that say to just buy a Watts do know what they're talking about. . . . .

Tim

If I didn't have a quality pressure regulator at a campground, I would use my filter, and fill the potable water tank and run off of the 12 volt pump.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

tsduke03
Explorer
Explorer
I see there are many opinions on this. About like asking in a forum which brand of car oil is best. lol Maybe it differs too by how much camping one does and where one camps. Crap, i made it 2 years without one at all. Lucky I suppose.
2011 Heartland 26FQB

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I went to an adjustable brass watts several years ago. I'm a believer. I just get more flow and pressure. Glad I made the change.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

tsduke03
Explorer
Explorer
I've not seen a singe Watts for $60. That would be a deal for what i've seen so far.
2011 Heartland 26FQB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Zurin I purchased within the last 3 months at Carolina Plumbing in Seneca, SC was 60 bucks, that includes the adapters and another item or two..

I would suspect a Watts would be about the same, but as I said, been 9 years since I got one of those.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting timing for this subject.

About 2 weeks ago I pulled into a campground and for the first time ever, a campground owner cautioned me about the water pressure there. Told me it was real high and I absolutely should use a pressure regulator. If you didn't have one, what would you do ?

I used a Valterra adjustable model with a pressure gage until today. About 3 weeks ago, it started leaking a spray of water at one of the long casting joints. It is brass, was not a cheap model and had been in full time use for only about 4 months. Reading Amazon reviews, mine was not the only one to fail like this. Yes, I could call the manufacturer and maybe they would send me a replacement but I don't want another one, thank you very much.

I now have a Watts adjustable model sitting on the table in front of me to be installed tomorrow. So maybe all those folks that say to just buy a Watts do know what they're talking about. . . . .

Tim

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of the brass ones rated at 45lbs. It works well. This last week end
I noticed water dripping under the kitchen sink from a hose clamp. When I put the brass regulator in, the dripping stopped. This is why we have them. This type costs around $8.00.

Brian