cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

waxing aluminum siding

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where to post this but will Start here. The DW and I are purchasing a new Gray Wolf 26BH which has the smooth fiberglass front cap but the sides and rear is the aluminum siding. How had is that too wax? Is there any special tricks from those of you who are experienced with this type of siding? Any suggestions would be appreciated. It will always be stored inside when not in use.
10 REPLIES 10

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
I don't know how difficult the job is, I've had over half a dozen with aluminum siding and never waxed one. I don't wax cars either. It has always seemed to me like a large effort with minimal benefit.

Dispencer....
If you feel the need for exercise until your arms and shoulders ache and have discretionary funds for expensive waxes , then go for it. Our first trailer sat in the AZ. sun for about ten years until I sold it to move to a toyhauler. I thought I'd make it pretty with a wax job to sell it. I couldn't tell where I started to wax and where not waxed. There was a feature strip of aftermarket factory that faded but the panels were like new. The toyhauler hasn't faded or oxidized a bit. The fiberglass doors and window trim need attention but the aluminum is maintenance free.
Yes, I now do seal and wax my trucks twice a year because the factory chicken******clear coat doesn't stand up to the AZ sun. I've had to have the F-350 hood & roof repainted..
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
Dr Quick wrote:
I use "Turtle Wax Ice liquid" on my 5er and it works great. On easy and buff out easy because it is a liquid. Use micro fiber towels to buff. NO white film left on other materials too. I not only wax the aluminum siding, but plastic and rubber items too. In fact, you can even wax the glass.

DR. QUICK knows best ........
ICE is what I use on my corrugated aluminum sided trailer .
It is the easiest stuff to use .
A trailer is big . I wash it very frequently . But I wax it only when I have absolutely nothing else left to detail .
I am a car guy .
For my german hotrods I use a clay bar annually and i have used many branded products .
Although I use more Meguiar's products than anything else , most brands work well . I have used 56.89 % of the brands available .
ELBOW GREASE and FREQUENT WASHING and WAXING is far more important than the products themselves .
The MeGuiar's team puts on a clinic for our car club at least every second year .
They preach the frequent wash and wax as the way to keep scratches and paint wear down to a minimum.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a a 36' class a that is aluminum. We wax it 2X per year. It is now 14 years old and we are told by many it looks like new. Our decals are not cracked or faded and it shines! I'm sure the same unit - unwaxed for 14 years would not look anything like our waxed unit does if put side by side after that time.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how difficult the job is, I've had over half a dozen with aluminum siding and never waxed one. I don't wax cars either. It has always seemed to me like a large effort with minimal benefit.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
NanciL wrote:
It is simple and keeps the trailer looking new.
I do mine once a year.
Use any good grade wax with carnuba in it

I agree!
In addition, I would use a wax made for fiberglass on the front and back and an automotive wax on the aluminum sides. Some would say it doesn't matter but I believe using a product made for the material being waxed gives a better finish.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is simple and keeps the trailer looking new.
I do mine once a year.
Use any good grade wax with carnuba in it

jack L
Jack & Nanci

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use "Turtle Wax Ice liquid" on my 5er and it works great. On easy and buff out easy because it is a liquid. Use micro fiber towels to buff. NO white film left on other materials too. I not only wax the aluminum siding, but plastic and rubber items too. In fact, you can even wax the glass.
Dr Quick

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
It`s easy. do mine twice a year. I spray wax it in the summer and use a rub on wax at the end of the year. even with fiberglass it`s a lot of work because of the size!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:
Not really al that hard. Just takes a little longer to get the ridges wiped off.

You just need to work with the design of the siding.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not really al that hard. Just takes a little longer to get the ridges wiped off.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers