cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WFCO 8955 converter just died and needs to be replaced

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace the converter on my WFCO 8955. I can get a direct replacement but are there other brands that would be a direct replacement? I have heard Progressive Dynamics but looks very different and not sure it would fit. Going camping in 2 weeks and need to get this sorted out quickly.

Thanks,
Rob
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller
18 REPLIES 18

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Well just finished installing the Boondocker and it all works fantastic. Fit well and no issues installing. Turned on the power and getting 14.37V at the batteries so has gone straight to boost mode. Will check in the morning again as it should be down to either 13.6 or 13.2 by then as the batteries were pretty much full.
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered a Boondocker from Randy at Bestconverter. Randy recommended this one and took his advice as so many have said he knows what he's talking about. Asked about the PD converter and he stated that both are a major upgrade from the WFCO so either would do. First recommendation was Boondocker so that's what I went with.

Will pick it up in Niagara Falls New York to avoid the $100 US shipping to Canada. Only $12 US to ship there and a 2 hour drive and a day at the falls to go and get it.
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the rest, go with the best, Progressive Dynamics units with Charge Wizard.

X2, my PD converter is 46 yrs old and still operates well.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
CaLBaR wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Is that the main fuse? Do any battery work lately? Fuse will open when battery is backward.

The fuse was the 15 Amp ceramic fuse soldered to the board. Batteries both work. Even when I disconnect the converter DC cables from the trailer and turn on the AC the 15 Amp board fuse blows. Converter is dead for sure.

All of the other fuses are good and everything works on battery power.

Rob
Yes different fuse. Count the WFCO as dead.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll add to this thread. The WFCO in our TT died last summer at the young age of 3 years old (sniff, sniff). ๐Ÿ˜ž It was overheating and we could smell burning plastic. Then the breaker tripped.

Something never seemed right with the standard FLA Lifeline battery (one only) from the day we bought the TT new. Didn't seem to hold a charge very long like after it was into the dealer for 2-3 days and I'd go to pick it up and the battery would be dead. When the converter died we took the battery to a shop who did a load test and found one dead cell. Couldn't figure out if the battery lead to a converter failure or vice versa. Battery was checked periodically for fluid level and wasn't a factor.

So when the converter died we replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics unit designed to fit into the WFCO. Also replaced the battery with a Trojan AGM at the same time. Problem was, we were a couple thousand miles from home on a road trip (couldn't it have failed at home?). Phoned Randy at Best Converter and he had it fast shipped to the next CG on our route and sure enough, there it was waiting at the office when we arrived. I used a battery tender we had to keep the new AGM going until we got the new converter.

I've read about Best Converter's outstanding service for years so it was a no-brainer to use them. Below is a photo of the old WFCO converter beside the new Progressive Dynamics one. At first I didn't think it'd fit but it did. It's clearly a much better converter. It's quite a bit larger overall and has a BIG heat sink, 2 fans and larger components on the board and it's very quiet. Plus it's made in the US! I've read many reports of WFCO problems for years as well and until you have one fail on you, you sorta don't pay much attention to the stories. The RV industry keeps on installing these cheap @#$% things anyway because the price is right. :M

One year later, the battery and converter are working great. I can now leave it hooked up all winter with no worries about damaging the battery.

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Is that the main fuse? Do any battery work lately? Fuse will open when battery is backward.

The fuse was the 15 Amp ceramic fuse soldered to the board. Batteries both work. Even when I disconnect the converter DC cables from the trailer and turn on the AC the 15 Amp board fuse blows. Converter is dead for sure.

All of the other fuses are good and everything works on battery power.

Rob
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Spent way to many hours on it today. Fuse on circuit board was blown. Got all the stuff that I needed to replace it, put it all back in the trailer, turned on the AC and....nothing. Blew the fuse again. Even disconnected the unit from the DC replaced the fuse and....nothing again but a blown fuse. Guess I am calling Best Converter in the morning and hopefully I get it for next weekend so I have time to put it in before we camp the weekend after.

What a pain. Can't imagine taking this to the dealer and spending a small fortune to fix it. Good thing I'm handy.

Thanks again everyone.
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, contact Best Converter and get the Progressive Dynamics upgrade converter for the WFCO. It's pretty much a plug and play replacement. I just did this last spring.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok there are basically two types of converters.

IF you WFFCO is built into the master power distribution panel...

Progressive Dynamics 4600 series will likely fit in the space currently occupied by the WFFCO electronics,,, This is a top of the line 3-stage plus converter

The other type of converter is "Stand alone" in this type the converter's electronics are in their own box.. Progressive Dynamics 9200 is the replacement.

Forget the rest, go with the best, Progressive Dynamics units with Charge Wizard.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
http://www.bestconverter.com/BD-1245-MBA-45-Amp-4-Stage-Main-Board

Do not get a WFCO

X2, I replaced the WFCO on our 2017 before it ever seen a campground with the Boondocker main board assembly based on an email exchange with Randy at bestconverter, and could not be happier.

On the previous trailer the WFCO did not fail per se, what it did do was get stuck in bulk mode and boil off both 3 month old batteries. WFCO is a piece of cheap junk, why do you think the RV manufacturers use a lot of them?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Last year I replaced my CONverter with a Parallax 4455 (55amp). Light, an easy install and so far....so good.

On the 'net, mine cost $207 plus s&h

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Looks like bestconverter is the place to go. Wonder if he ships to Canada. Will need to give him a call. Could probably pick it up in Buffalo considering the PD4600 is running over $400 CAD. Would be worth the drive to Buffalo to pick it up.
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller