Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What are you reading?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Let's share book ideas!

I'm currently reading Huckleberry Finn. Haven't read it since I was a kid and, no surprise, it's a lot more complex than I remembered :). And a good traveling book!

Also highly recommended, from my just-finished pile, Motoring with Mohammed. It's nothing about war -- it's a travelogue from the 80s, about Yemen. Beautifully written.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
540 REPLIES 540

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
Moriarty by Anthony Hororwirz. Its a continuation of the Sherlock Holmes stories. Horowitz also wrote The Seven Percent Solution another continuation of Holmes.
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
The Novels of Dashiell Hammett (all-five collection). Just started The Dain Curse.

Being fiscally conservative & responsible, I very rarely buy a book for myself anyplace other than a Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift store. Anyplace we go if there's an extra hour or two I can't pass up the thrift store book shelves. My last purchase was the nice boxed edition of the Complete Sherlock Holmes, something I pick up and re-read cover-to-cover every 2-3 years.

For those who don't object to reading what is out-of-copyright/public domain, there's tons & tons of great reading at Project Gutenberg. Don't overlook the Canadian & Australian affiliates, there's a lot of stuff at those sites not in the US site.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
quoyfab wrote:
hokeypokey wrote:
Just finished "Mennonite in a Little Black Dress" now starting " The Glass Castle". It's my 36th book since Jan 1, 2017. Grandson and I are having a " race".

Good for you to challenge your grandson.

Guess my mind is on Alaska, so re-reading "The Final Frontiersman" by James Campbell

Check out Alan Eckart The Frontiersmen, his books are historical fiction. You will find Daniel Boone was not as great as folks think and a man named Butler was the real deal.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

quoyfab
Explorer
Explorer
hokeypokey wrote:
Just finished "Mennonite in a Little Black Dress" now starting " The Glass Castle". It's my 36th book since Jan 1, 2017. Grandson and I are having a " race".

Good for you to challenge your grandson.

Guess my mind is on Alaska, so re-reading "The Final Frontiersman" by James Campbell

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.salon.com/2013/07/15/my_parents_were_right_wing_extremists/

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Here Comes Exterminator!: The Longshot Horse, the Great War, and the Making of an American Hero, by Eliza McGraw.

I've been fascinated with Exterminator since I read a children's book about him many long years ago. Amazing horse. The owner of Man O'War would not race him against Exterminator...
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Commanche Moon the story of the Commanche and their domination of the southwest part of the US for 40 years. Author is Gwynne and it is exceedingly well written and up for Pulitzer Prize.

quoyfab
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
I'm reading James Michener's Alaska. Never was a fan of his but thought I might like it after we went to Alaska a few years ago. I was right! It's a great read and I'm enjoying it.

Dale

DITTO

Just finishing "One Man's Wilderness" - Sam Keith

If I ever get back to Alaska, I'd like to visit Richard Proenneke's cabin at Twin Lakes in Lake Clark National Park..

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Ladies of Liberty by Cokie Roberts is my latest read. I am about half way thru it and man, am I learning more about our countries early history. This book was first published in 2008. I don't know why I waited so long to read it. Love the book.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I'm reading James Michener's Alaska. Never was a fan of his but thought I might like it after we went to Alaska a few years ago. I was right! It's a great read and I'm enjoying it.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Just about to start a Christmas gift from the wife...

Game of Thrones series.