cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What constitutes proper dog walking?

bertnspike
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious, having read some comments about walking dogs to poop in front of a site...

When I take my dog for a walk in a park with paved roads bordered by grassy sites I encourage my dog walk on the edge of the grass. The pavement is sometimes very hot! Usually we get to the open area meant for her to use, but occasionally it happens on the way, along the edge of the road, in the grass.

It's not deliberate OR nasty on my part; when ya' gotta go, ya' gotta go. I ALWAYS pick it up. Always. If someone is outside at the site I'll apologize. It never occurred to me before that someone may have thought I was just being a selfish pig.

Folks who don't own pets: you DO know that most of them don't poop on command, right?

Anyway, do you think there's a better way to handle the situation? Sites next to a dog run are not always available.
92 REPLIES 92

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus wrote:
AO_hitech wrote:
CincyGus wrote:
As far as walking her, I generally have her on a 6' leash (because the rules say so), walking along side me and her dragging the leash.

Your dog is NOT on a leash and you are breaking the rules. It doesn't matter how well trained your dog it, the rules still apply to you.

It seems from my point of view that most dog owners who let their dog off their leash believe they can control their dog...

Actually, she is on a leash and under control. The rules do not state that I have to have the leash in hand in any campground rules page I have ever read. When someone approaches, I tell her to sit and she does, until they pass. Don't be a hater because I have control of my dog and find it fun to show off how well trained she is. Matter of fact, the campground hosts were 2 sites from me last weekend and we walked past him/her every night on our daily walk.

Really? :R
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus wrote:
AO_hitech wrote:
CincyGus wrote:
As far as walking her, I generally have her on a 6' leash (because the rules say so), walking along side me and her dragging the leash.

Your dog is NOT on a leash and you are breaking the rules. It doesn't matter how well trained your dog it, the rules still apply to you.

It seems from my point of view that most dog owners who let their dog off their leash believe they can control their dog...

Actually, she is on a leash and under control. The rules do not state that I have to have the leash in hand in any campground rules page I have ever read. When someone approaches, I tell her to sit and she does, until they pass. Don't be a hater because I have control of my dog and find it fun to show off how well trained she is. Matter of fact, the campground hosts were 2 sites from me last weekend and we walked past him/her every night on our daily walk.

Think about this: Some of the most highly trained and expensive dogs in this world: Police dogs, Seeing eye Dogs, Drug and other detection dogs, Service dogs, etc., etc. are very rarely, if ever, are off leash and the leash out of the hands of the handler no matter how well trained!

Why? To protect THEIR highly trained animals from unexpected incidents, a speeding car, a wild animal or loose dog attack, a crazy/drugged person, etc.

I don't expect you to change your mind with facts, but if you really love your dog, you will keep her on a leash with the other end in your hand!

If you want to show off her obedience control there are many venues for that. A campground is not the time or the place.

As a campground host, for the protection of your dog, I would not let you get away with it.

As a former animal cop, I also know that not holding your end of the leash will NOT hold up in court, although it has been tried many times.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus wrote:

No, you are 100% wrong. Your dog is NOT under your control. Verbal control is NOT considered control. If it were there would be no requirement for a leash. You are not using a leash to control your dog unless you have control of the leash. The leash dragging on the ground is not in your control. They don't need to have any of this in the rules, it's just simple common sense, and I bet you know it.

You just think your control over your dog is good enough and therefore the rules don't apply to you. When someone's dog finally does not respond to their command the comment inevitability is "they have never done that before". I guarantee that there is a situation that will cause your dog to fail to respond to your commands. You just have never encountered it. And you may never encounter it, and then again you may.

Bottom line, you think your control over your dog is superior to "everyone" else and you like to show it off. You are breaking the rules and you know it, you just don't care.

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
We have two rescues. One is a Maltese/Shiz Tzu and the other is a Shiz Tzu. The one came from Charlotte Nc. and the other from a puppy mill in Ga. The one 4form the puppy mill will only pee and poop om the road. She will not go on the grass or dirt. I do carry bags and and pick up the poop after they go, Still haven't found a way to pick up the pee.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus wrote:
AO_hitech wrote:
CincyGus wrote:

If you are not holding the dog on a leash you are breaking the rule dogs must be on a leash period.

If I saw you in a CG I was at I would report you in a heartbeat to the CG manager. As I would suspect anyone would when you so BLATANTLY disregard the CG rules with your childish interpretation of a serious CG rule. Try that system in a town that has a leash law and you and the dog will be in a cop car and the dog impounded in seconds.

I trained dogs for 30 years and it's owners like you that are involved in children getting bit by a loose dog, dog fights, and dead dogs that chase a squirrel across a highway and do NOT come when they are called. And I'll bet in 2 seconds I could get your dog to break what YOU think is control of your dog. No sire you don't have your dog under control with a leash dragging at your feet. :R:R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockportrocket
Explorer
Explorer
And they wonder why they even have rules.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
AO_hitech wrote:
CincyGus wrote:

2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
JCGibson wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
RVnMC wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
....If no bag, the bags are a mere 40ft back at the camper. We walk the beast back to the camper and head back down with a bag, or three. ....

.. . t-shirt bags for around $18. They come attached in groups like the bags at the grocery store on the rack.I use these at home and on walks and camping.

omg, There is no need for grocery bags, t-shirt bags, etc etc. Heck I've even seen people pick up poop off the grass with paper towels!

~They Make A Bag for That! :B

Just go to your local Petsmart they carry dog dooley bags on a roll that fit in your pocket. And yes they come in sizes.

Heck take your pick lavender scent, or lemon scent!
Actually the scented ones DO really help you make the trip without gagging when you have to carry it back to the far side of the CG to dispose of it!

AND

They make all types of small dispensers that clip right on your lead, belt or jeans loop.

They even have dispensers with a LED LIGHT in them for those late night potty calls!

If you have a Dollar Tree Store or any dollar store, look there. I found a pack of 3 there for obviously a dollar and I know I have paid $5 or $6 for a pack of three before at other stores.

Thanks. good to know, I wouldn't have even thought to go there! Every dollar saved on poop bags is a good day!

And......my obligatory picture of the answer to ALL of the problems!:C

Be careful when you put your hand in the bag. Dollar stores sell seconds and defects. :E
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

SteveRuff
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Wow all this about walking dogs!
I always carry doggy bags tied to their leashes, at least two each.

I also love some of the reasoning, poo in your own site, then tomorrow this site become yours!

Doggie diapers, these just make a mess out of the dog, and a big mess to get rid of, ever notice dogs don't need to wipe?

With the exception to urban sites, what wild animals, do you think pee and poo in your site every night. I have had sites on the Oregon Coast with deer scat in them, that and Coyote poo also.

Don't get me wrong pet owners need to be responsible and clean up after their pet,and keep them under control, but you are camping, not in a $200 a night hotel.

Oregon SP are now looking at a $10 a night Pet Fee, not so much opposed to a fee, but at $10, may "entitle" people to think it is to cover Poo pickup!!

Some of the reports I have read you might PREFER that to what is actually there!!!
Both retired. Travel with Nicky the Schnoodle. Son graduated and is teaching high school math. We still love our 2006 34' Allegro Bay XB and have 50,000+ miles on her.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
JCGibson wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
RVnMC wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
....If no bag, the bags are a mere 40ft back at the camper. We walk the beast back to the camper and head back down with a bag, or three. ....

.. . t-shirt bags for around $18. They come attached in groups like the bags at the grocery store on the rack.I use these at home and on walks and camping.

omg, There is no need for grocery bags, t-shirt bags, etc etc. Heck I've even seen people pick up poop off the grass with paper towels!

Just go to your local Petsmart they carry dog dooley bags on a roll that fit in your pocket. And yes they come in sizes.

Actually the scented ones DO really help you make the trip without gagging when you have to carry it back to the far side of the CG to dispose of it!

AND

They make all types of small dispensers that clip right on your lead, belt or jeans loop.

They even have dispensers with a LED LIGHT in them for those late night potty calls!

If you have a Dollar Tree Store or any dollar store, look there. I found a pack of 3 there for obviously a dollar and I know I have paid $5 or $6 for a pack of three before at other stores.

Thanks. good to know, I wouldn't have even thought to go there! Every dollar saved on poop bags is a good day!

And......my obligatory picture of the answer to ALL of the problems!:C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Next thing you know, they'll be marking the bath houses "People Poop Here Only" or something as silly.

JCGibson
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
RVnMC wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:

AND

John (USAF Retired) Cheryl (Mid School Teacher)
'16 Newmar Ventana 3709 Sold
'16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA traded
'11 Dodge 3500 Crewcab sold
'14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL sold
'12 Voltage V3200 sold
'09 BigHorn 3400 sold
'06 Jayco Octane sold
'04 Jayco Baja sold

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vulcaneer wrote:
I pick up (and bag) only the first dog poop. Then I carry that bag every time I walk the dog. So when people see the unattended dog poop, and they look at me walking the dog, I just hold up the bag, and say, "Those shameful dog owners. They make it look bad for the rest of us."

If anyone sees my dog pooping, "Guess she has a problem. She already filled one bag. I have to come back when I get a new bag." Or else I just step on it and it sticks to my shoe. Then I walk through my neighbors site. It usually wears off before I get to my site. I used to walk into the restroom and scrape it off on the toilet seat. But that was even too disgusting for me.

Hope you all realize I am just kidding.

LOVE IT!

bertnspike
Explorer
Explorer
omg, I knew this was gonna go crazy. ๐Ÿ™‚ I got some really good laughs, many thoughtful and considerate answers, and a lot to think about.

I know for sure that I am no longer going to stroll to the dog walk area. It's going to be a brisk no nonsense walk until we get there, which will improve leash control at the same time. That's a good thing. I am also seriously going to try to teach Bizzy to go on command, and I have a couple of good links to refer to. Thank you very much.

The rottweiler dump story certainly gave me second thoughts!

Thanks for all the good stuff everyone.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to chime in here and first say THANKS!

Although we don't want to hear barking dogs, deal with their poop, etc, we do recognize the need to make room for the preferences of others, just as they do for us.

In that spirit, I want to thank the RESPONSIBLE dog owners who actually take the time to discuss ways they make an effort to be respectful to non-pet campers.

Be like that and camp next to us, and we'll likely spoil both you and your dog!

BTW, yes, it does help non-pet campers (I say campers, as we have a very loved dog at home and always have throughout the years. We believe kids have an advantage when they have a dog! But we don't bring her camping) understand the challenges and extra effort you exert in an effort to be courteous to other campers. Kudos!