cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is considered a house trailer?

SC_camper
Explorer
Explorer
We have been living in our sticks and bricks neighborhood for eleven years. Neighborhood has HOA with covenants. We moved into this neighborhood because the covenants didnt prohibit rv campers. Covenant reads "No house trailer or mobile home shall be placed on any lot either temporarily or permanently". Further in the covenant stats "All boats, trailers and all vehicles other than automobiles shall be kept under suitable cover". We filed a request, with site plan, for a travel trailer cover(Adco designer) and location on our lot where the tt will be stored. Request was approved and its been no problem since.
Now there are other homeowners saying that campers are prohibited. Campers and rv's are "house trailers". Anyone dealt with this terminology in a HOA Covenant before? Thanks for any input.
54 REPLIES 54

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I am the president of a HOA. Based on what you say the documents say, in our association, your trailer would be allowed

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since house trailer isn't defined in the HOA's, its definition is entirely dependent on what they decide it means at the meeting tonight. Hence, The side with the biggest voice tonight wins. The more people you get into the meeting tonight that are on your side, the better your chances. You don't get enough people there, you lose; ending up in you either move it or hire a lawyer. Best bet is to stack the meeting in your favor. Hiring a lawyer is expensive and you could still lose.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
westernrvparkowner wrote:
I think you might have an even bigger fight with the "kept under suitable cover" clause. To me, that would mean inside covered storage, not under a tarp, which is what they are going to claim your Adco Designer cover basically is.

I kind of agree, since these tarps flapping in the wind, look much worse than an uncovered, well kept RV. I have a concrete pad, next to my driveway for my FW storage. I had an Adco Designer cover on my previous FW, during Winter storage. It worked okay, with added windproofing, but was hideous/jumped out to passers by. I don't cover current FW, partly for this reason, and effort required.

Jerry

MrWizard
I always thought house trailer was mobile home
House trailer was the old term, mobile home the new term

While they can be moved, they are not self contained (that's a biggie)
And are designed to be moved and then set up,
Not for going camping

I think if you ask, you will find the HOA covenant is to keep members from placing a mobile home on the property and living in it

Not a restriction of RV storage, as long as stored by the rules

The people complaining, don't know or don't care
But they are wrong
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
SC camper wrote:
We have been living in our sticks and bricks neighborhood for eleven years. Neighborhood has HOA with covenants. We moved into this neighborhood because the covenants didnt prohibit rv campers. Covenant reads "No house trailer or mobile home shall be placed on any lot either temporarily or permanently". Further in the covenant stats "All boats, trailers and all vehicles other than automobiles shall be kept under suitable cover". We filed a request, with site plan, for a travel trailer cover(Adco designer) and location on our lot where the tt will be stored. Request was approved and its been no problem since.
Now there are other homeowners saying that campers are prohibited. Campers and rv's are "house trailers". Anyone dealt with this terminology in a HOA Covenant before? Thanks for any input.

Your best bet is to get the US Department of Housing's definitions of a mobile home and a RV, and the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association's definition of a recreational vehicle. Lacking any definition in your Covenants, those would be the go to definitions. Your state may have some as well, even your county, but they probably mirror the federal definition.

Suitable cover is so vague as to be meaningless. However, your HOA Board approved your cover, so the whole issue seems a moot point.

Your HOA Board as an example can make rule that no one can have a blue truck, but that does not mean every one has to get rid of their blue truck. But no one can buy a new blue truck. The Board can agree that from this point forward no RVs but they cant rescind the current rule for you.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I would consider a "house" trailer as a park model. A mobile home is pretty obvious what it is. A park model is meant to be towed to a "Destination" and set up for longer term stays. It can be moved again to another long term spot. It's not meant to be towed on a weekly basis like an RV trailer.
An RV is a recreational vehicle, i.e Motorhome, travel trailer, 5th wheel, etc.
I don't see an RV as being a Mobile home or house trailer.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I do not believe that Wikipedia is to be taken literally, the information is generally not verifiable nor is it able to be quoted in a court of law. Virtually anyone can often do give false information to Wikipedia. Intentionally or innocently it happens frequently, therefore, it is not really a source to be quoted as fact.

I think it will be interesting to hear the outcome, however, from my experience with HOA's, the OP is sunk. If he looses, it almost assuredly will be on his dime to fight the decision. I know in my state the laws are very specific regarding Common Interest properties and do provide a certain amount of power to a HOA but they have very specific rules regarding following common law.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
I think you might have an even bigger fight with the "kept under suitable cover" clause. To me, that would mean inside covered storage, not under a tarp, which is what they are going to claim your Adco Designer cover basically is. Is this a targeted move against you specifically, or are there other, perhaps less attractive, RVs being stored in the neighborhood?
I think many others have answered your question about the verbiage. A house trailer is pretty much whatever they want the definition to be. Do be aware that the federal government, thru the IRS, considers self contained RVs to be homes, making the interest paid on them deductible. Let us know how it goes.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
don,t house trailers have to buy a trailer permit yearly.

TheLuvShack
Explorer
Explorer
I believe if you look at the owners manual or the warranty for your trailer you'll find a statement that the trailer is not to be used as a full time dwelling. This may or may not help.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy". Red Green

Daryl

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Uhhh, I just went back to the OP to see what State is being dealt with.

I recall an elderly lady who stopped in at my daughter's house when I was there with the fifth wheel for a visit and refer to it as a "contraption".

Kinda like peeeecans and pecans.

I think this has to be sorted out locally. :h

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I think you are in trouble. House trailer could include TT, 5er, single wide and double wide. That is any trailer you can live in as a house. That is any trailer that has a bathroom, kitchen and bedroom .
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
A house trailer is whatever the HOA says it is. There is no standard definition.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your travel trailer is a trailer, that rule states should be covered. I don't see a problem, other than a couple of busy body trouble makers. A house trailer would be something that is lived in. Now if used as living quarters for you, or guests, your TT could be considered a house trailer. This JMO, your HOA will decide.

Good luck at the meeting,
Jerry

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
From Wikipedia:

"A mobile home (also trailer, trailer home, house trailer, static caravan, residential caravan) is a prefabricated structure, built in a factory on a permanently attached chassis before being transported to site (either by being towed or on a trailer). Used as permanent homes, or for holiday or temporary accommodation, they are left often permanently or semi-permanently in one place, but can be moved, and may be required to move from time to time for legal reasons."

House trailer does have a definition. Further research indicates this definition was first used in 1921. We have similar covenants in our new neighborhood. I don't agree, though, it's intent is only for mobile homes. It's intent is to keep the neighborhood from looking like a junk yard.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]