cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is it with DEF?

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Just what is the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) ? What does it do and why do I need it? This is my first diesel and I never heard of it.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
32 REPLIES 32

F105
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
I bought my first diesel truck last year. It uses DEF. It's easy to find, and it is used for Selective Catalyst Reduction. That's a fancy term for pollution control. All diesels use it now, even new big rigs.

It's easy to find in most parts stores, truck stops, and even some gas stations. I get about 1100 miles per gallon of DEF. It costs me about $16.00 for 2.5 gallons at the local parts store. It's even less expensive at WalMart.

Here's a website that can give you some background:
SCR and DEF

Depends on your definition of "new big rigs."

Our 2012 3/4 ton Ram with the Cummins 6.7L diesel doesn't require DEF. But I understand the 2013's and newer do require it.

We were lucky to get it in December 2012.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my first diesel truck last year. It uses DEF. It's easy to find, and it is used for Selective Catalyst Reduction. That's a fancy term for pollution control. All diesels use it now, even new big rigs.

It's easy to find in most parts stores, truck stops, and even some gas stations. I get about 1100 miles per gallon of DEF. It costs me about $16.00 for 2.5 gallons at the local parts store. It's even less expensive at WalMart.

Here's a website that can give you some background:
SCR and DEF
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)