cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is wrong with my F150

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
It eats tires. The BF Goodrich Long trails that came on it lasted only about 20,000 miles. I put on some Cooper Discoverer Plus. Another 15,000 ish. Then I put on Michelins. And now at 65,000 miles on the truck. I'm getting ready to put on the 4th set of new tires.

Understand. The tires, all of them. Have worn evenly across the tire. The do not cup, and they are not out of round. I check the PSI regularly, and have them rotated at every oil change.
I'm just confused as to why they don't last. I kind of understood the Coopers. I pretty well burned them off. They were pretty hard, and being hard, were really easy to smoke. But I put a limited slip in, and stopped most of the smoking, But the Michelins are still worn down to with in 1/8" of the wear bars.

Am I alone in this?
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
45 REPLIES 45

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Funny post!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I've found that the key to tire life is to do 3 things:

1. Keep the tires inflated to the recommended air pressure.

2. Rotate and balance. I like buying from Costco because they offer lifetime balancing and rotations. I take my vehicles in whenever I get the oil changed.

3. Keep it aligned. I really believe this is the key. I try to find a national chain where I can buy a 3 year alignment package. This usually doesn't cost much more then the price of 2 alignments and you can bring it in every week if you want to !

My last vehicle was a Honda Element. When I traded it, the tires (Michelins only !) had way more then 100,000 miles on them and were still in decent shape. Admittedly, an Element is a different beast then a truck, but the principals are the same. It's not rocket science. I've been driving for over 45 years and I've learned a few things.

Tim

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
In our over 50 years of diving each....we have never worn a tire out....other than the black and white work vechicles ๐Ÿ™‚
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Mn_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
My Ram 2500 quad came with BFs 73000 miles and there still going!!!
TH & Company:
Just Passin Thru

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, not knowing if you live in flat or mountain (you say you are in the foothills). I cannot get more than 20000 miles on a set of tires. I live in the mountains and am probably one of the slowest drivers up here. combine that and pulling a trailer they will wear very fast.
06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07
87 Suzuki Samurai (highly modified)

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Wow........ guys

Any way to the OP I feel your pain I never would believed it but after owning a Hemi Dodge 8' Bed 4 Door as gentle as it could be driven, the back tires were wearing out twice as fast as the front. I stopped rotating tires on it. There just would not last either way. I have owned over 10 pickups over the years & it was the worst set up I have ever owned, the rear was just too light. not to mention it took me for a ride empty on the interstate at 55mph in a rain, With a small slope in the grass with no foot on the gas the tires would spin (2WD no limited slip)......... ๐Ÿ™‚ my solution was to add two more tires to the back & a Cummins & limited slip.. & at least 2500 lbs. more.

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
jdog wrote:
down home wrote:
Our F150 has factory limited slip. Probably time to examine the clutches and steels. It doesn't slip much. It is a 5.4, with 3.54 gears, I think. It can spin the tires if I demand it.
Maybe you have 3.73s? Maybe the rear end needs tightening up?
We had a couple, of Dodges with gear lockers, in the rear end. Even with the 3.18 it was exciting on wet turns. There was more wear, on the rears from turns. The gear lockers don't slip much, at all, under any power, in turns. Got pretty good tire wear, on the 2000 Dodge though.
Bad alignment, even if with factory tolerances can wear tires,on edges and cup etc. Having tough time to get Dealer to set exactly on spec and not with tolerances. He doesn't know or care but I think he just lost a Customer, if I don't change my mind.

The clutches wear in a limited slip. use to a rule of thumb to tighten the clutch pack at about 50,000 miles. I don't see a lot of slippage but probably should. The higher the numerical ratio, the lower the gear and the easier it is to spin the tires or for the tires to leave a little rubber even at reasonable acceleration becaause of torque multiplication. NHTSA forced a rule several years of max acceleration of 3.3 mph per mile per hr or some such. Slam the pedal to the floor and it accelerates worse than at 1.4 throttle. They played all kinds of games with the electronic master. reprogrammed you could probably burn the tires off.

Why would 3:73 make the tires spin? How do you "tighten the rear end"? I guess 3:73 must be super power gears, sure they are!

I know about gear ratios! Lower gears are for more pulling not spinning tires! By the way, limited slip rear ends only work at low speed, not when your going down the road.

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
jdog wrote:
down home wrote:
Our F150 has factory limited slip. Probably time to examine the clutches and steels. It doesn't slip much. It is a 5.4, with 3.54 gears, I think. It can spin the tires if I demand it.
We had a couple, of Dodges with gear lockers, in the rear end. Even with the 3.18 it was exciting on wet turns. There was more wear, on the rears from turns. The gear lockers don't slip much, at all, under any power, in turns. Got pretty good tire wear, on the 2000 Dodge though.
Bad alignment, even if with factory tolerances can wear tires,on edges and cup etc. Having tough time to get Dealer to set exactly on spec and not with tolerances. He doesn't know or care but I think he just lost a Customer, if I don't change my mind.

The clutches wear in a limited slip. use to a rule of thumb to tighten the clutch pack at about 50,000 miles. I don't see a lot of slippage but probably should. The higher the numerical ratio, the lower the gear and the easier it is to spin the tires or for the tires to leave a little rubber even at reasonable acceleration becaause of torque multiplication. NHTSA forced a rule several years of max acceleration of 3.3 mph per mile per hr or some such. Slam the pedal to the floor and it accelerates worse than at 1.4 throttle. They played all kinds of games with the electronic master. reprogrammed you could probably burn the tires off.

Why would 3:73 make the tires spin? How do you "tighten the rear end"? I guess 3:73 must be super power gears, sure they are!

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdog wrote:
down home wrote:

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had that problem when I was 17 one set only made 5,000 miles. Now at 55 tires last a lot longer.:B

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
"What is wrong with my F150?"

The operator perhaps?
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
when is the last time you had a thrust alignment?

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
You are the cause. No excuse for burning out from stop except your lead foot. I could smoke my twin turbo F150 IF I want to. But I don't want to burn up my tires.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension