cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What kind of exterior seam caulk should I use?

tomseeley
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed just today that a couple lines of exterior seam caulking have started to peel off. I need to redo them quickly, since we're headed out this coming Tuesday and I want it off my to-do list before we leave.

What kind of stuff should I use? Or not use? Can I just go to LHD--that's my own term for Lowe's Home Depot--and buy the usual exterior clear water proof caulking intended for windows, etc.? Or is there a particular kind I should get. Or most importantly is there a particular kind I should NOT get?

I need to do this in the next 72 hours or so, so I hope it's as easy as what I can find at LHD; at least for this quick fix, even if I need to redo it better later.

Thx.

Tom
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2008 Nash 26X
6 REPLIES 6

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
May not be a permanent solution but I have been using Polyseamseal Caulk+ from Home Depot on caulking around the house. It is not silicone or Latex but appears to be similar to urethane. Comes in colors and clear. Not having any Dicor available I used it on a seal to cover a small fiberglass to aluminum joint and if I want to remove it I will have to cut and scrape it. I am watching it closely to see how it works,
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also found a seam that needed attention and had some regular caulk as you mentioned so I used it. MISTAKE!! It didn't hold so I had to clean it out and then used Proflex. Problem solved.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You want to use a sealant that has NO SILICONE. Geocel Proflex is a great choice.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dicor NON-self leveling or it will just run down the side of rig into a puddle on ground

I prefer ProFlex.
Just like the way it flows, leaves a smooth bead.

Just make sure you DON'T use any silicone caulking!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Best is either Proflex or Dicor for vertical application..(they also make a self-leveling formula for horizontal roof seams.)

Available at any RV dealer's parts department.

Don't use silicone.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dicor or Proflex both available at any RV dealer