cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's the worst storm you have been in while camping?

lushy
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious of everyone's experience with Mother Nature. Here's one of ours.

South Dakota in 2011 a storm is rolling in. I'm not one to get uneasy about the weather but this one had me very concerned for the wife and family. I think the pictures will tell the rest of the story.

And then after it passed by:
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel, Air Lift
52 REPLIES 52

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was in 04 my wife and I had a new mh and had gone to the keys on a month long trip. My Dad was at his condo in Panama City so we stopped on the way back up. We had a severe storm blow in and pushed the mh about a foot while it was on jacks. It also blew a crane off the top of the condo they were building about 2 blocks from us. Flattened a new Ford Ranger in the parking lot.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I was in the Gulf Pines KOA, east of Pensacola, FL on I-10 when the sky started getting dark. The couple that owned the place went to every RV in their park, told us about the weather report of potential tornado activity and told us that both restrooms were built to hurricane standards and attached to the recreation room. They invited all of us to the recreation room, turned on the TV news and weather radio, and unlocked the Coke and snack machines.
The tornado missed us, but when I left the next day, there were a lot of trees along I-10 uprooted. That's the closest I've been, or want to be.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

bearwayne
Explorer
Explorer
Several run-ins with severe weather...

One time, while camping at St. Andews State Park in Panama City Beach, FL, the weather radio went off in the middle of the night with a severe thunderstorm warning. I got dressed and went outside to take the awning down. The next morning, we found out that our neighbors had their awning destroyed by the wind.

In 2005, we were in Valdosta, GA to visit the SO's daughter when Hurricane Dennis was making landfall. The RV park we stayed in was full of evacuees from the FL Gulf Coast. We decided to leave a day early because the weather was deteriorating with rain bands moving through. During the drive back to Atlanta, there were lots of tornado warnings along our route.

Finally, while making another trip to Panama City Beach on a Friday, we left Atlanta in the early afternoon under a Severe Thunderstorm watch. Along our route down US 231 in Alabama, there were multiple tornado warnings behind and ahead of us and we drove through some pretty stiff winds in the darkness. God must have been looking out for us because as we drove though Dothan, AL, we learned that there was a state of emergency due to widespread storm damage and the City of Enterprise, AL had suffered widespread damage due to tornadoes earlier. It was stupid for us to travel in such weather, and we don't be dong that again!

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Campforever wrote:
Outer Banks NC on my honeymoon, 22 foot tt slid 6 inches during the night ...

My honeymoon was fun, but you got me beat. ๐Ÿ™‚
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Campforever
Explorer
Explorer
Outer Banks NC on my honeymoon, 22 foot tt slid 6 inches during the night. We were at the KOA. All tents and most pop ups were flattened. Rain and wind.

Hurricane Glory in Fl. Came in around Tampa. Not as bad as the honeymoon though.
Randy, Retired and Loving it...
Chevy Dually 3500 Duramax 2015
3910 Montana (2015) Three Slides

5 slides

fill
Explorer
Explorer
Three:
With a Tent and a motorcycle to Long Beach Washington. Continuous heavy heavy rain for five days! Fortunately I was in a Thousand Trails cg and just kept extending. The Cabelaโ€™s tent stayed dry the whole time.

On the beach at Lake Osoyoos, British Columbia; Night storm with rain and 60 โ€“ 70 mph winds. I carry extra rope and pegs to stabilize the Roll-A-Home. No sleep, but everything was fine.

Travel trailer in the high desert of So California (Acton). A worse than usual wind storm came up and branches were blowing everywhere. Cg ranger went to one
Class A and told them to move. He said he couldnโ€™t his wife was in the shower and would be very upset if disturbed. An hour later they left and shortly after that their whole shade tree blew over, in the same area the shower would have been in.

A few rows from us a huge limb went through a pop up, No one was hurt.

Fill
Subaru. โ€™94 GoldWing 1500
2012 Roll A Home, Eagle 1 trailer
GWRRA, Thousand Trails
(Weโ€™ve downsized)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the help of ham radio we have avoided a couple good ones.

EB one day on Hwy 2, ND. we noticed a very large black cloud following us in the distance. A check on the weather channels revealed severe storm warnings for places that we had only just been through. We did not have a smart phone at the time so we got in contact with a local ham with internet service to have a look for us. Sure enough the storm was on the same track as us & gaining on us.

Well, if you find yourself on train tracks & a train is coming, what do you do? You step aside & let it go by. Precisely what we did. First decent road we turned N & went about 10 or 15 miles, found somewhere to pull over, & watched the storm roar by to the S of us.

We went back S & spent the rest of the day following the storm.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Two of note. Tropical Storm 40 miles offshore while I was camping in the keys at Long Key SP, the wind and rain were howling something fierce and nearly lost my awning before I could get it in. The other was a spring storm of torrential rain at Hunting Island SP in SC where it rained 13" in 36 hours. Flooded the place pretty bad and made for some interesting situations.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Hurricane Irene in 2011. We were at Scussett Beach on Cape Cod and had to evacuate. Ended up riding it out @ Circle CG in Bellingham, MA. They gave us an open spot without trees. We had our Monaco Executive at the time, which at 45,000lbs was not bothered at all by the winds.

It was an exciting day though, to say the least. Getting out of the CG a couple of days later was an event as wires and trees were down everywhere.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
The worst we have been in was at Big Mac in Nebr. We were on the lake in the boat when a storm blew up. We got the boat loaded and headed for camp but didn't make it and had to stop along the road in a low spot. When we got to the camper afterwards one of the support arms for our awning was driven right through the roof and the camper had been moved about a foot sideways. We found out that a tornado had passed about a half mile from the campground.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Back about 68 we were camped at a COE CG on Lake Greeson in Arkansas. An afternoon thunderstorm came up.

Helped Dad put the boat on the trailer - he was paranoid about it getting damaged by the rocky short lines.

When we drove back to the campsite from the boat ramp, Mom had all the other kids in the car, our stuff was scattered everywhere.

And people were trying to help the folks in the next campsite get out of their car where a 18 inch diameter tree fell on the car - luckly right between the seats. No one hurt, but the car was a total mess.

We never found a couple of the cots us kids had slept in. Several folks insisted a small tornado came over the point where we were camped.

Yes, back then no-one had a trailer, maybe a couple pickup campers. We slept outdoors on cots with a thin sheet to protect us from mosquitoes, or a sheet of plastic if it was raining. Didn't get a tent until 1969.

=====================

mabynack - Thank you for your service. My son said the same thing.

Lebanon in the 80s wasn't much fun in tents for me either, nor Vietnam. All the danged snakes.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thunderstorm, wind & hail north of Calgary, AB. The wind did not bother us. Been through lots of hurricanes. The hail was something new. Oh, what a noise!!! So loud we had to shout to hear each other inside. The thing is, it was only small hail.

This one, St Vrain SP, Longmont, CO., looked pretty fearsome but the bulk of it passed to the N of us.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have experienced several pretty bad storms while camping, but I guess our worst was when we were at Point Lookout SP in Md a couple years ago. My nephew and his wife and 3 kids had come to visit us. They took off and went to the beach and I stayed at the camper with the baby, then about 7 months old. All was quiet and he was sound asleep when my phone started alarming and the weather radio went off. TORNADO WARNING! I walked out and looked at the sky and it was perfectly clear. Got on the phone and called DH. No answer. Nephew pulled in with his his and daughter, who was in need of a nap. Told them about the warning, headed for the bath house. DH and my kids pulled in about that time, too. All of us headed for the bath house.

We get there and put the kids in the shower stalls and walked back out and there in the sky over the trees was a small funnel cloud! We had a little bit of rain, but not lots. Picture taken, but I can't find it right now. DH didn't believe me even seeing the picture. The next day, the front page of the local newspaper was about a Class 1 tornado touching down about 1/2 mile from the park.

Scary few moments, but no damage done to the park.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

lushy
Explorer
Explorer
oldmattb wrote:
mabynack wrote:
I guess my worst camping experience involved sleeping in tents in the desert and having the local populace shooting at me. Iraq sucked.

Best post today!

Matt B

mabynack, Thank you for your service to our country!
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel, Air Lift

bee_46
Explorer
Explorer
Another thank you to mabymack for you service.

We were in Nova Scotia when Hurricane Earl was headed toward the Canadian Maritimes. Knowing the only way to PEI, our last destination before returning home, was either by ferry or over an 8 mile bridge we decided to leave the relative safety of Baddeck and head into the storm's path. Our decision was made by fact we had only a few days to visit PEI and if we lost a day or two getting over because of the storm we would just have to skip our visit. So we hopped the ferry the day before the storm was to hit and settled into a campground in the middle of the island.

The next morning the electricity in the campground went out before the storm hit. This was not a good omen. As the winds and rains picked up, we sat in our trailer hoping it was sturdy enough to hold up. In the height of the storm the electricity came back on and not long after the wind and rain died down. The wind on the back side of the storm was stronger than earlier, but even with a lot of shaking the trailer held up will and by nightfall all was calm and the next day was beautiful for sightseeing.

Not sure our move was the smartest, but it ended well in the long run.
Bobbie ๐Ÿ™‚

2003 Pleasure Way Excel TD

Alaska 2008

Arches, Geysers, and Canyons