cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel Bearing Replacement - who to get to do at my home?

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
When I backed our trailer into our driveway today I saw smoke coming from one of the driver's side wheels. It is apparent that I burned out a wheel bearing. I don't want to chance driving it any distance for repairs and are uncomfortable attempting to replace it myself.

What type company besides a mobile RV tech would come to my home to replace the bearing? We just moved to the Knoxville, TN area last week and I am unfamiliar with the area.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!
11 REPLIES 11

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:
linnemj wrote:
When I backed our trailer into our driveway today I saw smoke coming from one of the driver's side wheels. It is apparent that I burned out a wheel bearing. I don't want to chance driving it any distance for repairs and are uncomfortable attempting to replace it myself.

What type company besides a mobile RV tech would come to my home to replace the bearing? We just moved to the Knoxville, TN area last week and I am unfamiliar with the area.

How far had it gone before you noticed the smoke?

Jack up that wheel and give it a spin. If it spins and doesn't exhibit more that 10 thou or so endshake just tow it to the shop (slowly) and have it fixed. They'll growl a long time before they come apart and the damage has already been done anyway.

Personally I would not move it, he could have got lucky ,and not ruined the spindle, if he moves it any distant he may just do it completely in, and then he's replacing the axle if the bearing seizes on the spindle.

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
linnemj wrote:

How far had it gone before you noticed the smoke?

Jack up that wheel and give it a spin. If it spins and doesn't exhibit more that 10 thou or so endshake just tow it to the shop (slowly) and have it fixed. They'll growl a long time before they come apart and the damage has already been done anyway.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

quingus
Explorer
Explorer
Here in California when working the road had a tow company come out with a dolly tow for a trailer, haulmark. It had an extended tow arm to connect to the pintle. It's like training wheels for a locked up axle. Call your insurance AAA, progressive etc, let them know what you have. They should have a set for that. I say should. Good luck. BTW changing bearings and the race if you have to is very basic, just a bit greasy. Took me longer to pull the jack and set the stands up.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an RV road service plan like Allstate, Coachnet or Good Sam; call them. If nothing else, they can recommend someone that can do the work onsite. We had a bearing changed on the side of I-10 a few years ago. I've had them come to the house a couple of times to start a car with a dead battery and once to tow to the repair shop. The fact that it was at our house was never an issue as to whether they provided the covered services.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on your axle manufacturer. My former Dexters I purchased all of my bearings etc from Redneck Trailer Supply. My new to me Sunnybrook has Lipperts, so I could have bought them through Lippert but Makarios RV was less money. Both ship and I carry spares with me.

Find out who makes your axles it should be with your owners papers. The Lippert actually has a placard on the rear of the axle.

Its not hard to do! Search youtube for wheel bearing maintenance and you'll will find a video to help you out!

Happy Trails
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
My car mechanic does it. I'd drive it there as it's only 2 miles.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the appropriate jack, take the whole hub assembly off (usually 4 bolts hold it to the axle - which can be accessed from the back).

Then take the hub to any repair facility - any car mechanic should be able to do this - less than 1 hour unless the bearings got so hot that the bearing races have welded themselves to the hub. In this case just buy a new hub/brake assembly

Gerry
Gerry

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big truck repair centers usually have mobile rigs if you can't find anyone else. Why not just pull the wheel off and bring the hub assembly if you don't feel comfortable doing your own?

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
our camper wheel bearing burn up and wheel caught on fire.

I discovered that bearings were too small, for the weight of the camper.

we had the axles changed out, good luck
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
I would Google RV repair in your area and call a few people and for what it's worth do a Yelp search on all you call. You might even try a couple local Rv dealers and explain your situation, they might give you a referal even a local campground might refer a good RV tech that will come to you.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Most mechanics will do it cheaper than an RV mechanic. Maybe even a friend or neighbor, it is not really hard to do just rather messy.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game