cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When and where to fill onboard propane

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
With our class B we have onboard propane instead of removable cylinders and need info on when and where to get it filled.

Can you get it filled no matter how much you have left, or does it need to be empty?

And... can the same gas station that fills our cylinders fill the onboard tank or does it take special equipment/knowledgeable people?

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
17 REPLIES 17

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again to everyone. We'll make sure everything is off and the tank valve is shut. ๐Ÿ™‚

href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wa8yxm, you are of course (partly, LOL) correct, I had blood in my caffeine stream. I meant to say there's a blend in SUMMER in northern climes.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jax you have your north and south confused.

Butane, which has a boiling point of about the freezing point of water. and which is much CHEAPER than propane, which has a boiling point near the C/F cross over point of -40 (I just a degree or two off) is often sold in the SOUTH where temps do not often drop below freezing.. NOT in the north where it will be freezing very very soon. I'll be filling up next month in Flint. Mi most likely.. OPTIONAL fill point is also in MI.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
It might seem odd, but the local Menard's is far more convenient for me to fill up than my local propane dealer. At Menard's, I just pull in the lot next to the propane station and someone comes out to fill me up, pay at the pump and I'm on my way. My local propane dealer I have to schedule it because they don't always have staff on hand that can run the equipment.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Don't forget safety during filling. The propane person should ask, but I find that they do not. It is your responsibility. Be sure that no pilot lights are on and no igniters can spark. I do this by turning off the refrigerator and by turning off the coach batteries at the disconnect switch.

If they have been properly trained THEY close the service valve at tank PRIOR to connecting fill hose (or flip the solenoid remote switch OFF)

Innards of propane ASME tank. Might be in different locations but ASME Tanks will have same components
Left to Right
Far left----Level indicator gauge float/magnet assembly
Next -------Relief Valve & Stand Pipe. Top set above 80% liquid level so it is in vapor zone
Middle------Fill Connection with OPD Float Assembly. ASME Tanks had OPDs before portable cylinders
Next--------Liquid Level 'Bleed Valve' Top set AT 80% liquid level (FULL Fill)
Far right---Service/Vapor Valve & Stand Pipe. Top set same as Relief Valve, above liquid level in vapor zone

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
I always wondered how they were filled also until last weekend. I went to have my 20lb tank filled for my grill and in front of me was a nice Class-B. He backed it in and they guy hooked the propane filling hose up. Measured until it was at 14.5 gallons filled and turned it off. unhooked and that was it.

This was at my local Tractor Supply. Wasn't a bad price either. $2.49/gal.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Butane is some what of a bargain if you are not in the North. It offers more btu's per pound than Propane.

If in a pinch you can warm the tank with a heating pad. I would not do it as a mater of course--but I do have a tiny magnetic block heater (120 volt) that I can use. I have camped at -37 C (-34 f).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Don't forget safety during filling. The propane person should ask, but I find that they do not. It is your responsibility. Be sure that no pilot lights are on and no igniters can spark. I do this by turning off the refrigerator and by turning off the coach batteries at the disconnect switch.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Remember that they only fill the tank to about 80% to allow for expansion.

If they fill it properly, they'll fill it until liquid instead of gas flows out of the fixed liquid level gauge, sometimes erroneously called a "vent". And yes, that occurs at the 80% liquid level. The OPD (Overfill Prevention Device) valve may shut off the fill slightly before or at about the same time that the gauge spits liquid.
Do onboard tanks have the OPD valve?

Yes
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
jplante4 wrote:

If they fill it properly, they'll fill it until liquid instead of gas flows out of the fixed liquid level gauge, sometimes erroneously called a "vent". And yes, that occurs at the 80% liquid level. The OPD (Overfill Prevention Device) valve may shut off the fill slightly before or at about the same time that the gauge spits liquid.
Do onboard tanks have the OPD valve?

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
As to the 'when' part of your question, bear in mind that not all propane really is "propane". I say 'when' because in the northern areas of North America you often get a blend (in varying ratios) of propane and butane. More butane in the summer, less in the winter.

Sometimes you find nearly straight butane, this is very common in the southern US

This is why most place call it "LPG" (liquid petroleum gas) and not "propane".

This is important because the boiling point (the reason there's gas not just liquid in the tank) of butane is a LOT higher than that of propane. At anything warmer than -44 F. propane is boiling, therefore making vapour.

Butane however stops boiling at about 32 F. so if you are camping somewhere that the temp drops below freezing and you have butane in your tank, you too will be freezing, no heat, no cooking, no hot water.

The trick is to fill your tank, whenever possible, in cold season.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much for the responses. Y'all helped me understand how it works and I feel a lot better about it...

I called the station we usually go to and they said yes they have the fitting and it shuts off automatically when full. We just have to go when there are at least 2 people on duty - between 10 and 2. ๐Ÿ™‚