cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When Andersen Levelers aren't enough....

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in one CG, where I was full up on the very end of the Andersens, and just got it side-to-side level. But it got me thinking whether I need to bring something for "just in case" if we get a site that is even worse. We do have two full sets of the Camco "Lego" blocks, but in this instance, if I had used them instead, I would have used them all up, and had none left for the stabilizing jacks.

Sort of related - in another CG, we ended up with the WD bars of my ProPride hitch on the ground to get the trailer front-to-back level. Again, if it had been worse, I would have had to break out the lego's for both sides of the trailer, to get it up enough. How many "inches of stuff" (legos, wood, etc.) do most people bring for these tasks?
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
25 REPLIES 25

jrobert01
Explorer
Explorer
I use 2 sets or plastic ramps very little weight and strong. Has worked so far and if it is worse unlevel than than I will go elsewhere.

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I always have an axe and firewood. Nothing else needed.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
2 sets of Lynx Leveling Blocks, 6 chunks of 4 x 6, and a couple pieces of 2 x 4. Gotta be prepared.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

mattmountz94
Explorer
Explorer
I carry andersons and also about 4' stack of 2x12s. This weekend site was level side to side but I needed about 18" under either front landing gear.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I seem to end up at a lot of sites which are sloping downhill toward the back. I like lakeside COE sites.

I finally got some 2x12 boards cut to lengths six inches apart. The shortest is just long enough to hold my wheels. I drilled some holes so I can insert bolts to stop them from shifting. Now I can raise the entire trailer up to 8 inches so the rig can be front to back level where before the tongue would be on the lowest possible height and still be several inches out of level

Yes, it is a lot of effort, weight and takes up some space in the truck.

But I ain't going to give up the lake view out my big back window.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Flapper wrote:
We stayed in one CG, where I was full up on the very end of the Andersens, and just got it side-to-side level. But it got me thinking whether I need to bring something for "just in case" if we get a site that is even worse.

I don't use Andersens for leveling as there's insufficient space to fit the leveler between the two adjacent low side tires. However, if I did I'd also carry a set of recycled rubber exterior stair treads in the truck that could be stacked under the Andersens to raise them AND to improve traction when the campsite pad is slick asphalt. No way I'd sit Andersens on a plastic surface like leveling blocks as they'd too easily slip. I do use a 3/4" thick rubber tread on my driveway under the street side tires so the trailer sits level side-to-side and I can therefore safely run my fridge.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We ran into that same situation last week. Although it was not a paved site, it was too rocky and hard to dig out the high side (though I've done that in other places). I used up two sets of legos (and bent a couple up, too) and just put the landing gear on the ground. I wrote the situation up when I reviewed the park/resort.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
What you have is fine. If it is that bad you deal with it or request a different site. You would need a second trailer if you packed everything for every obscure contingency or what-if possibility.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Dig a modest hole for the high wheels

That doesn't work so well on a paved site....

I would rather pack plastic blocks than chunks of wood, for a "just-in-case" situation.

this is true, I guess I've never run across a paved site that has been extremely unlevel
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:

That doesn't work so well on a paved site....

I would rather pack plastic blocks than chunks of wood, for a "just-in-case" situation.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed