cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where / How to Dump?

nagel
Explorer
Explorer
I live 1 mile from a State Park and for years I had the luxury of simply pulling into the park and dumping my gray/black tanks as needed. When I drove a Motorhome this was awesome because we could use the "facilities" on the trip home with no worries. (I've moved back to a Travel Trailer recently).

Anyway, the State Park has recently started charging $10 to dump (for non-guest). I actually don't mind supporting them, but this could get expensive if we have to dump a lot.

Any good words of advice on how/where to dump from home? Obviously, the goal may be to dump before we head home, but what if we still need to dump once we get back home?

Anybody have any luck with dumping into a tote and releasing into septic? Maybe I just want to pay the $10 and be done with it.
Steven R. Nagel
64 REPLIES 64

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
BCSnob wrote:
unless you too have to turn around your rig multiple times to dump and then park, my comment goes not apply to your situation. But if you want to require implicit statement of โ€œmy situationโ€ in addition to a detailed description of my situation, so be it.

That's the point - every situation is different, 'though I do wonder why you have to "turn around your rig multiple times to dump" if using a macerator ... what difference does how the trailer is oriented make? :h Not arguing, just asking what this has to do with using a macerator ... if anything, I would think it would be easier as you just run the macerator hose whichever direction you want, unlike a stinky slinky which is limited in length and can only function properly by gravity if it's sloping in the right direction.

This is exactly why I love the macerator. I am able to quickly and easily dump even though my clean out is not conveniently positioned for my RV.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
unless you too have to turn around your rig multiple times to dump and then park, my comment goes not apply to your situation. But if you want to require implicit statement of โ€œmy situationโ€ in addition to a detailed description of my situation, so be it.

That's the point - every situation is different, 'though I do wonder why you have to "turn around your rig multiple times to dump" if using a macerator ... what difference does how the trailer is oriented make? :h Not arguing, just asking what this has to do with using a macerator ... if anything, I would think it would be easier as you just run the macerator hose whichever direction you want, unlike a stinky slinky which is limited in length and can only function properly by gravity if it's sloping in the right direction.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
nagel wrote:

Anybody have any luck with dumping into a tote and releasing into septic?

are you on an actual septic tank or city/municipal sewer system?... dumping into a septic tank is no issue as long as you dont use a formaldehyde based chemical....
and if you use an environmentally friendly chemical with enzymes, it could be beneficial to the septic system...

if you are on the municipal sewer system, it doesnt matter...

a macerator system may work well for you, as it could pump the waste thru a hose for some distance, and yes, it will grind whatever has passed thru your body, and toilet paper which are the NORMAL solids one would find in the toilet, but NOT wipes, or sanitary napkins...
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
BCSnob wrote:
Macerator set-up is too complicated at home to be worth the effort; parking location closest to clean out requires turning rig around for dump followed by turning around again to get to storage location plus needing to pump 75โ€™-100โ€™ uphill to clean out.

If you had included "for me" then who could disagree but to universally suggest that using a waste macerator to service one's tanks at home is "too complicated" is absurd. :R I do it all the time - bayonet the macerator on to the trailer's sewer outlet, plug it in, screw on the waste hose, pull the waste gate, and let 'er rip. Takes but a few seconds and it certainly isn't "complicated". ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

nagel
Explorer
Explorer
Great info. Free dump stations at rest stops in Iowa. Wow. We don't see that in Missouri. I talked to flying J and they also want $10 so might wait until I get home.
Steven R. Nagel

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
Macerator set-up is too complicated at home to be worth the effort; parking location closest to clean out requires turning rig around for dump followed by turning around again to get to storage location plus needing to pump 75โ€™-100โ€™ uphill to clean out.

If you had included "for me" then who could disagree but to universally suggest that using a waste macerator to service one's tanks at home is "too complicated" is absurd. :R I do it all the time - bayonet the macerator on to the trailer's sewer outlet, plug it in, screw on the waste hose, pull the waste gate, and let 'er rip. Takes but a few seconds and it certainly isn't "complicated". ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
F-TROUP wrote:
Be careful dumping into your septic system if you use chemicals in your tanks, you may just kill the bacteria in your system. JMHO

x2 - you don't want to cause problems in your home septic system. Can certainly be done but research it depending upon what if any tank treatment you use in your RV tanks.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
We pay the dump fee to use flyingJs on our drive home after every trip (never โ€œcampโ€ where there are hookups). Macerator set-up is too complicated at home to be worth the effort; parking location closest to clean out requires turning rig around for dump followed by turning around again to get to storage location plus needing to pump 75โ€™-100โ€™ uphill to clean out.

Paying the dump fee is easier and worth it.

It would be easy if I could dump on the manure pile.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
jerryjay11 wrote:
Who'd think such a crappy subject would have so many responses?

Everybody has an opinion on cr@p.

This is some important craap.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sanidumps.com lists available dump stations around the US. Looks like most are in CGs and charge $5-6.

This map shows dump stations across the US - $10 or less, some are free and some are in interstate rest stops (free).

Allstays.com has an app for RV dump stations that includes "wastewater treatment plants, dealerships, gas stations, public places, storage places and stores."

Never once had to find a dump station outside a CG so don't know how hard it is to find one.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have an interstate rest stop near your home? In IA all of ours have a free dump station that I have used infrequently on the way home.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
jerryjay11 wrote:

Everybody has an opinion on cr@p.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
When you boondock, do you pass any large truck stops on the way home? Many of those places have dump facilities available for a nominal fee.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Park paid to put in a dump station so it makes sense that those who use it pay for it. "

At least YOU actually read what I said.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD