cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

where or how to find an overnite stay

mussfly55
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a trip for this summer and my ? is on a place that is cheap to stay for one night. which the location is between colter bay in the Teton's and glacier campground near glacier np. I have found the total mileage to be about 550 mile between points which I feel is to much distance for one day of driving my class c with a toad.
could there be a better campground near glacier I could plan to stay a few days that would have elec. and water hookups and I am a senior and wondering how many days would be a good stay there before I travel to my next location traveling west from there.
in glacier np the road to the sun takes about what time to be done in my toad?
25 REPLIES 25

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love rvparky because if has forest service, etc., campgrounds in addition to rv parks.

If there are multiple places to choose from, I then check rvparkreviews to find out which one is best for me. Sometimes there are reviews of the forest campgrounds there, too, but they are more spotty.

Google maps doesn't know the difference between a trailer park and an rv park ๐Ÿ™‚ but it does sometimes find things that nothing else finds. It's very hit or miss, for me.

Allstays has not been mentioned. It, too, is great for finding a spot when nothing else works. It has forest campgrounds (and BLM, COE, utility, etc.) and even some boondocking spots, IIRC.

I learned about all but google on this forum. I love this forum!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for RV Park Reviews. We use that coupled with the Good Sam guide. If we're traveling off season, we frequently don't plan where we're stopping for the night until lunch time, which gives us a lot of freedom to stop when we want. With summer coming, we'll have to make some advance plans.

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
mussfly55 wrote:
did anyone stay at north american rv park which is close to west glacier or at the campground call glacier campground, and would you recommend reservations for over labor day weekend?
from what i am planning is to stay there for 3 nites and use our toad to tour the area then on west by which route is still in the air but our goal is to get to Seattle before heading south on route 101.

There's a nice KOA close to West Glacier too if you like those. We prefer to stay at Lake Five Resort because it has a lake. A bit pricy if you don't want to be by a lake though.

Going-to-the-Sun is a solid 3-4 hours with minimal stops, but well worth it.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
TXRVCouple wrote:
...you CAN stay free in any Wal Mart parking lot...

That's not entirely correct- Walmarts are on a case-by-case basis. Some allow it, some don't allow it (either their own rule or by order of local ordinances).

The best source of information (and where many websites get their lists from) is available in the Files section of this Yahoo group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/walmartrving/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

TXRVCouple
Explorer
Explorer
If you are traveling and stopping strictly for the night and plan to head out again early, you CAN stay free in any Wal Mart parking lot as well as major truck stops. While traveling from Nevada to Yellowstone last year, we stayed in Flying J parking lot free, amongst other RV travelers doing the same.
Happy Living Life

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of folks have commented taking the complimentary shuttle for the going to the sun road, so that the driver can enjoy the scenery instead of being focused on the road. Just a FYI and maybe worth checking into.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

mussfly55
Explorer
Explorer
hermy:
i was planning to come at glacier on the west side cause i would be comming up from jackson hole area and was planning to stay overnite around deer lodge area. and then on to glacier by rt 90 and then up either 93 or 83 which ever might be the flatest and when i leave glacier i was planning to travel down 93 to 90 then west . or would there be a easier route

hermy
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Helena area- it is about half way between.

mussfly55
Explorer
Explorer
did anyone stay at north american rv park which is close to west glacier or at the campground call glacier campground, and would you recommend reservations for over labor day weekend?
from what i am planning is to stay there for 3 nites and use our toad to tour the area then on west by which route is still in the air but our goal is to get to Seattle before heading south on route 101.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
We use rv parky a lot these days.

We once stayed in a campground near Butte, Montana while doing a west coast trip, I think it would be near your half way point.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

OldFogie
Explorer
Explorer
mussfly55 wrote:
I hope to be at clacier np on labor day weekend and was wondering if things would be this time of the year in the park. cause I was thinking sense kids are back in school it my not be as busy.

We were there in late September last year and while it was not exceptionally crowded there were still a lot of people there. The campground we stayed at said it was normally their busiest time.
2007 Bounder 35E
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1999 Jeep Wrangler

rollingslow
Explorer
Explorer
RV parky shows all kinds of places you can park at. From campgrounds to truckstops to walmarts

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
When we travel and want overnight parking we look up a walmart, ask inside if it is ok to stay, then park to the outside of the lot away from where the semi park. We always go inside and purchase some item...groceries we need, pet food, and so on. I probably spend more inside the store than a rv park would cost. Ilike because of the easy in and out and there are usually several rv's there so we get to meet new friends.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

N8GS
Explorer
Explorer
I too use http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
Coupled with google maps and google earth I have things nailed down before starting the truck.
Ham radio 73's from Gale N8GS
2009 GMC 2500HD Ext cab, LB 4x4 Duramax
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS Pin wt.2900#
B&W companion
2 Honda EU2000i
400 Ah LiFePO4 batteries + 470W of solar w/ Outback FM-60 CC
Samlex 2000w PSW inverter