cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why did you stop full time rving?

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that started FT RVing with the object of travelling to see and experience as much of the USA/Canada as possible but have since come off the road, what made you stop being FT travellers.

I know that many do so after many years due to health and or aging issues for safety, but those two aside, what other reasons have you or folks you know come off the road besides these two main reasons. Likewise of course we know there are a lot that move into a more static FTing status due to financial reasons.

I'm sure most that come off unfortunately don't still frequent the forums, so be interesting to hear about others you know if also as to:

a) Why they/you started FTing
b) How long you/they were actively travelling F/T
c) What was your reason to come off the travelling road and either settle in a park in your rig/park model or back into a SnB.

As I said, I'm sure that most don't continue to frequent the forums after coming off the actual travelling road so if you know of others that have and can share that would be wonderful.

I guess I"m trying to ascertain partially but not solely, what percentage maybe pulled the trigger too prematurely from a financial point of view (I know time/health is more precious than $$'s but.....), what percentage found it didn't live up to their expectations of a), albeit maybe they were or weren't realistic.

Thank you in the spirit of sharing,

FTW
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars
21 REPLIES 21

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
We full timed for about four years but we missed our toys. Bought a house, built a big garage and now are most timers. ๐Ÿ˜‰
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
samsontdog wrote:
Wife got tired of it after a short year. Hated being away from GKs etc etc. I would go back ft in a heart beat

My folks moved away and spent six months on the road and six month at their new home which was at least 300 miles away. They would bless us with their presence once a year while they were enroute somewhere. Stay three days and moved on. Every year the grandkids would ask when were the people in the motor home coming back. They never did bond.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, we did NOT do it for how wonderful it would be. We knew that living in a tiny house would have its limitations. We did it because we decided to see for ourselves what it was all about. We did it, we had fun, it was OK, except we missed many of the things we enjoyed about living in a stix/bricks house (located in a suitable location and designed for our purpose, including being able to park the boat and motorhome in the backyard). The RVing lifestyle suits us better.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Wife got tired of it after a short year. Hated being away from GKs etc etc. I would go back ft in a heart beat
samsontdog:o:W

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Ours was a very short stint, after 3 months my DW told me enough is enough she wanted a home and only travel 1 month out of 4 and never in the winter--1 week excursions are OK. The full timing thing was just not for her. Me? I was having the time of my life, staying in new places, seeing grandchildren, no yard work, house maintenance/repair, etc. So we how have a grandparents mobile home on our oldest daughters property and I am saddled with all the things I dislike doing and DW is happy as a clam. But happy wife happy life so there ya go. If something would happen to her, Lord willing I would be back on the road again in a heartbeat.
Not sure if that answers your question, but that is our experience.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
This should probably have been a post in the Full-timing section.

We stopped after 16 wonderful years but not for financial or medical issues. We just felt it was 'time'. We've traveled constantly and volunteered many times. We did our 'bucket list'. It was a great lifestyle.

We've now settled in an area that we would have never thought of had we stayed in our last house. We knew we never wanted to return to harsh winters. We kept returning to this area each winter and found we loved it. We're in a 55+ VERY active community in a small 1000 sq ft townhouse that came completely furnished in very nice dรฉcor to match the area.

Since we began full-timing in our 50's we're still young and energetic enough to do many activities and we don't seem to have enough time in the day to do all we want!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Full Timed for 7 wonderful yrs. Traveling place to place weekly or at least every 2 weeks. And only traveled roughly 250 miles at a time....rarely farther than that and usually shorter distances.

We retired in our 50s.......only regret is not not doing it and hitting road sooner.

Then life threw a curve........so having already put together an EXIT PLAN prior to going full time we 'exited stage left'

We had been in area several times during our travels...like it.
Housing pricing had just bottomed and was on rise so we bought.
Nice neighborhood/nice neighbors AND we have FHU RV parking on our property.

Would we still like to be FT-------YES but we now are 'travelers with a home base'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31