cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

why reply if you are going to be mean?

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
Seen this many times, but first time it happened to me. I asked a question here because i was looking for personal experience about a location. Instead of helpful info, i get "call the place", really, wow hadn't thought of that. Or get ridiculed by someone thinking i am being cheap and not wanting to spend money to park my 100k combination rig. I was already planning on paying to park at an event venue.
I have sen this many times with other poposters, people respond with unhelpful and downright condescending comments. My experience says these people are building there egos up by making derogatory comments that are intended to belittle the OP! If you have nothing relevant to the posts, don't reply and keep your digital muscles unflexed. These type of people would never speak face to face this way, gutless!
49 REPLIES 49

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 wrote:
TomHaycraft wrote:
I see it happening on other discussion boards that I follow. It is "an Internet" thing. The anonymity of communicating electronically (rather than face to face) seems to allow some people to forget their manners.

Bingo.
I've been on the 'net for a long, long time.

It's an anonymity and distance thing for a lot of people. Which is why I use my real name.

This is exactly why I use my real name too!

This board seems to have a lot of this type of "trolling activity" and I guess, a history of over moderation (from what I'm able to gather) I joined last year and am thinking about going elsewhere, because I get tired of the:

"google this" answers or "there is already a thread about this if you JUST SEARCHED"

I even got accused of being another poster via private message.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
Steeljag wrote:
Cabin fever ? A loooooong cold winter and miserable due to being snowed in??

No excuse! I have chronic pain issues and would not talk that way to others, even when feeling miserable. I bet if you looked, these same people make these same types of comment in the middle of rv season.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Grumpy Senior members, I just ignore them. Most people are nice and will answer your questions. Now and then I bite back, but mostly ignore the (_!_)....

-
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
wow hadn't thought of that.

So snitty is better? Reason why some of us recommend calling is so you get the correct answer. Simple as that, no more, no less. And yes, some are puzzled by the concept of spending huge money on a rig and cheaping out on campgrounds. It just doesn't make sense. I do agree that some people should just not bother to respond but you yourself can also take the high road and just ignore it.

This! The REALITY is, if you want correct information, go to the source. If you want lots of opinions, ask on a forum.
Many times, those of us who have had lots of experience, and base our responses on that experience, are shut down by those with a lot of "book learnin'".
So, we keep it simple: CALL and ask!
Snippy, snotty, etc.? No, not really. While some may perceive it as that, the fact is that never entered the poster's mind. Of course, the poster can not be responsible for the state of mind of the reader.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
donandmax wrote:
Their called "trolls"

This appears to be an invitation aimed at a mean person. But, I'm not falling for it....:B
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
TomHaycraft wrote:
I see it happening on other discussion boards that I follow. It is "an Internet" thing. The anonymity of communicating electronically (rather than face to face) seems to allow some people to forget their manners.

Bingo.
I've been on the 'net for a long, long time.

It's an anonymity and distance thing for a lot of people. Which is why I use my real name.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Not limited to this forum, just seems that there are a higher ratio of curmudgeons on this site. Pink Floyd even has a song about this phenomenon.

When we grew up and went to school
There were certain teachers who would
Hurt the children in any way they could
By pouring their derision upon anything we did
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids
But in the town, it was well known
When they got home at night, their fat and
Psychopathic wives would thrash them
Within inches of their lives.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Wildwilly101
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed away from this site for over a year for this reason. I got tired of sifting through all the venomous posts while trying to get to the point of the topic. I really canโ€™t understand why people need to waste time and energy posting if they have nothing constructive to offer. Yes, there will always be new-bees with seemingly obvious questions, this is not a reason to explode with nasty replies. The only stupid questions are the ones you are afraid to ask. I also get brand loyalty to a point. Yes, I like my truck and you like your truck. Now letโ€™s just let it go at that please. Add value to the site with good information while disagreeing with civility.

youwillforget
Explorer
Explorer
I have cut way back on posting in the 12 forums I belong to for this exact reason. The final post in one was "well let me shut my mouth" and that was a few months ago. It was a question about the field I am paid to work in and my view was discounted for one of the active posters with a history of negative posts.

Forums exist because people input content and interject tips and expereance that have to do with the topic most of the time I feel bad because I just read then not don't post to add content. The OP is correct if you ask for specific information your subject gets few views and fewer on topic comments. But ask about batteries or tires and people that live in urban areas, bicycle commute or people that have never stayed a night in a RV know more about tires and batteries than Goodyear and interstate. It's those times I have to step away from the keyboard and just stay off forums for a while.

I recall someone asking about running a generator to charge the battery and there was a post that told them basicly rip it all out and install an expinsive solar setup and ditch the generator.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
wow hadn't thought of that.

So snitty is better? Reason why some of us recommend calling is so you get the correct answer. Simple as that, no more, no less. And yes, some are puzzled by the concept of spending huge money on a rig and cheaping out on campgrounds. It just doesn't make sense. I do agree that some people should just not bother to respond but you yourself can also take the high road and just ignore it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Low egos.

For a minute, it helps them feel superior.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
You have some grumpy old men here with nothing better to do than stir the pot. Sometimes it's fun just to egg them on. Just know there are some helpful people here, and even those with the sense that if the same response has been posted at least 3 etimes then 8 more people don't need to repeat the same answer.
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v

donandmax
Explorer
Explorer
Their called "trolls"
If it aint broke fix it till it is

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Those people are best ignored. Some times they are trying to be funny?
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Most forums have several spelling, and grammar professors.

These are the people that don't know the answers to the poster questions, so they try to belittle the poster, by bringing mistakes, to every ones attention.

It makes me wonder what happened to these pitiful people, that they feel the need to do this.

Jerry