cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Woodsmoke Campground Pet Policy

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
We have reservations for a week next February at the Woodsmoke Campground in Fort Myers, FL. We got an e-mail yesterday that reads in relevant part as follows:
Just call us the poo patrol. Starting in the 16/17 season we will be implementing a new program in order to deal with the constant dog waste issue. We will be using the company, Poo Prints. This company provides a service that keeps track of a dogโ€™s DNA so that when dog waste is found they can test it and determine what dog it belongs to. Unfortunately, what weโ€™ve tried in the past hasnโ€™t worked and the dog waste issue has worsened. In order to keep a clean environment that is beneficial to all people we have chosen to try something new.

This Fall/Winter everyone who has a dog will be required to bring the dog to the office upon check in to get their cheek swabbed with a q-tip. There will be a one time $20 per dog registration fee. Depending on the dogโ€™s temperament the owner might need to be the one doing the swabbing. We will then send this q-tip off to Poo Prints where they will store the information. (Poo Prints charges us $40 for each registered dog.)

If waste is found around the park that hasnโ€™t been picked up by the owner then a sample of it will be shipped off to Poo Prints. They will then let us know which dog it matches. Once a match is found then the owner of that dog will be fined $75.00. (Poo prints charges us $75 for each time we submit a sample.)

This is the only solution that pinpoints who the owner is and avoids wrongful accusations. We wish it didnโ€™t have to come to this, but this issue has gotten out of hand. Weโ€™d like to correct the situation so that all campers can enjoy the beauty of the park and not have to watch where they step. You can check out the Poo Prints website if youโ€™d like more information too.

Thanks,
Woodsmoke Management

A few questions/comments:
  • I've never heard of such a thing before, and it seems unbelievably weird. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this anywhere else?
  • I guess I understand what the campground is driving at, but I've never been anywhere in over 40 years of RV'ing where the dog poo problem is so bad that it would call for extreme measures.
  • If the Woodsmoke clientรจle is so slovenly that the campground has to resort to DNA profiling to solve the problem, I bet dog poo is only one reason I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to stay there.
  • It seems like less intrusive options exist. Like maybe signing a form that says, "On my honor, I will pick up after my dog..." If someone is so dishonorable that he'd violate that covenant, I'd worry more about getting my stuff stolen than stepping in dog poo.
  • It also seems like if one leaves without having dog poo seized by the Doggie-DNA forces, one ought to get a refund of the DNA profiling fee.

Anyway, unless I get some comfort that this isn't as bizarre as it seems at first blush, I guess I'll cancel the reservation and stay somewhere better. Thoughts?

Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1
52 REPLIES 52

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's a great policy that works in general for the betterment of all. I do not camp with pet animals but would be more inclined to stay at a campground that allows dogs if I knew the owners were that dedicated to keeping the place clean + comfortable for dog owners and those without; transients and long term guests.

As for how they would collect from guests, short or long term? Charge the credit/ debit card and possibly request a deposit from cash paying guests. Were I running the campground I'd also take a pic of the dog and attach it to the file so subsequent tests weren't needed.
Should cat poo or mini pig poo be a problem I'm sure they can be added to the policy at a different time.

Having worked in hotels, restaurants, and property mgmt for most of my adult life, I can tell you there are A LOT of people w/ piggish habits wandering amongst us AND it doesn't matter if the place is high or low end, transient or long term.

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I think it is a great idea. If you do what you are supposed to,what is the problem? One Resort I stayed in down in Florida which is considered one of the better ones for amenities, was dog poop farm.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
They are bluffing
using fear to get compliance , like "there are cameras everywhere.

pick up after your animal no worries.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
While it is obvious when someone doesn't pick up after their dog, what about cats? They (usually) go in gardens, loose dirt etc. & then cover it up. When our kids were younger, we had to have a big screen over their sandbox. Maybe this isn't such an issue because it's rare having them go where people walk, but the health risks are right up there!
To those people who don't pick up after their dogs, get over it! Nobody is going to think of you negatively, only positively!!

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is, they have run the numbers, to scoop, test, send poo, then confront the offender, collect the fee etc, is going to burn a lot of man hours, and cause a lot of stress. I doubt they plan to do much of it. I would bet they are hoping the "threat" will cut their poo problem way down. Pretty clever. Unless of course they lose a ton of business as a result. Then not so clever.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
I feel sure, if this does not work, they will ban pet's. Afterall it is pet owner's causing the problem.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:
S

Let's say 20 people didn't pick up. Are they really going to pick up 20 droppings and send those in? And who is going to raise their hand for that job!

THat's it someone has to clean up the poop now without the policy.
No one is raising their hand but the task must be done by CG staff.
....Do you think they just leave it..LOL
I am all for the policy. It irritates me everytime I see poo on the ground.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I would invest in some video cameras instead. But by the park name, at least we can have a smokey campfire. That's a plus. :B

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
How do they expect to collect this "fine"? They're not a government agency, they have no executive branch to execute enforcement or judicial branch to mandate enforcement.

Sure they can put words in the rules that you "agree" to when you camp, but are they going to spend $5000-8000 in court to collect $75 from you?

Home owners associations and apartment complex that use this same service at least have a captive audience, they can force you to pay the fine through threat of eviction at least... I think if you called their bluff they'd be in a hard spot. Eviction is not an easy or fast process, especially if you own the home/condo or are otherwise current with your rent payments.
They are going to collect it like they collect any fee. You are going to sign a form that allows them to collect it, same as staying at a hotel where you agree to pay for whatever you take out of the mini fridge. Obviously, this is a park that caters to longer stays. It would not work in an overnight or short term stay park, but I am 99 percent sure that they know their problem is in the long term stays.
Twenty bucks is cheap. I usually pay more than that in pet fees every night I stay in a hotel with my dog. As with most things in this world, everyone has options. 1. Pay the fee and live with the policy. 2. Don't bring a dog 3. Go somewhere else.
Pet waste is a problem. Every park that cares about their guests' experiences is always searching for a solution. I am sure they just didn't decide this policy on a lark. If they lose a few guests while solving their pet waste problem they are most likely going to consider that a big win.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is sad the park has needed to go to this to keep their park CLEAN. Those of you that think uncaring non-cleaners are not that common are a bit in the dark. We have hosted and camped and see way too many pet owners that figure that rule doesn't apply to them. Yes it is still a small percentage, but there is enough of them to to create an issue. I notice it most on our beautiful coast where people figure they don't need to pick up poo on the beach, then you have kids run bare foot through it!! :S
Sorry it has come to this, maybe a data base of registered pets would cut down on cost, but would require a picture for verification or even a tattoo in the pets ear.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
How do they expect to collect this "fine"? They're not a government agency, they have no executive branch to execute enforcement or judicial branch to mandate enforcement.

Sure they can put words in the rules that you "agree" to when you camp, but are they going to spend $5000-8000 in court to collect $75 from you?

Home owners associations and apartment complex that use this same service at least have a captive audience, they can force you to pay the fine through threat of eviction at least... I think if you called their bluff they'd be in a hard spot. Eviction is not an easy or fast process, especially if you own the home/condo or are otherwise current with your rent payments.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I think it good also since people seem to be less caring how they affect others, so all good.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like a crazy idea for just having one or 2 people that don't pick up! I wouldn't stay there just because of this policy! How bad is the place that they have had so many issues that they have to do this. Seems like they don't want anything to do with running the place.

Let's say 20 people didn't pick up. Are they really going to pick up 20 droppings and send those in? And who is going to raise their hand for that job!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
My first reaction is...I will not be returning. I will not pay $20.00 to register my dog upon arrival or anytime during the stay. I stayed there last Thanksgiving and enjoyed the park. Helpful staff, good walking grounds, nicely kept up. I can say that I do not remember any abundance of poo not picked up. No more than any other rv park...maybe 1 or 2?????

A lot of permanent winter residents, but also a lot of travelers.

I have heard of this before, but never stayed in any campground it was implemented at.

There are always those who think the rules don't apply to them and we who do follow the rules have to pay the consequences.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea. I read about this process a few years ago. Regardless of what rule you make, there will always be one or two who feel the rule does not apply to them. This makes the rule violator unquestionably accountable.