cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would you buy a RV without local dealer support?

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
Thereโ€™s a few Holiday Rambler class Aโ€™s that I really like. Problem is I am from New England and I believe the closest dealer is in NJ. Maybe even further. I have no problem traveling to buy what I want. My concern is warranted work and other issues.

Would you buy a RV without local dealer support?

Edit: Those from the New England area am I wrong? Is there a Holiday Rambler dealer in our region?
For Sale:Twin Ultra Power HD 6 volt batteries in excellent condition. Very similar to Trojan T-105's. Located in MA. Email Brazenheadbeer@gmail.com
35 REPLIES 35

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
I don't understand your concern. What would you do if you are on the road and you need warranty assistance? If I can't repair my vehicles myself, (which I can) I would be looking for "network" support throughout my travel range rather than local support. But, I am regularly 1,000's of miles from home base.

Chum lee

The OPโ€™s concern might be unfounded but the concern is understandable.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Sure would, if the price was great.
did with our HTT. bought it in Chicago and brought it back to NorCal.
our manufacturer found us local dealers willing to do the warranty work. never had an issue during the 2 year warranty.
i also could have used an independent RV shop or mobile RV tech. just had to get pre-approval from the manufacturer and be willing to be reimbursed.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
guidry wrote:
The only real dealer support you can expect is a thank you as you hand over your check. After that, there's no real support from a dealer. Take a look at all the dealer complaints on this forum and you will understand that you should get the best deal you can then let your wallet get you support from whoever can fix what needs to be fixed. Good luck

Good dealers with support actually exist, but are few and far between. Its a little different here where you have a limited season based on climate. When you slap down the coin for a new rig and then cant get a warranty repair for months due to a limited amount of dealers with overloaded service departments due to the absolute junk coming from the manufacturers, it leaves a sour taste in your mouth, hence the posts. Even good dealers get overloaded. Add in all the mechanically non inclined who head off to the dealer for everything including winterization in the fall and dewinterization in spring. The local dealer near me has them lined up along the road every day in April and November for that.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the Holiday Rambler dealers in your area. Boat N RV in Coxsackie, NY is 90 miles from you.

We bought new and never returned to the selling dealer. Are you buying new?

Holiday Rambler used to have a very good reputation. Hopefully for you they still do if that's the one you decide on. I'm sure they would work with you, if needed.

https://www.holidayrambler.com/dealer-location-results
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Yep! Find a mobile RV tech, or an independent RV tech. They'll keep you rolling at less cost and hassle then the dealer.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you ever have no dealer support. What you may not have is timely dealer support.

We recently purchased a trailer from a dealer that was 300 miles away. I think if you find something that really is to your liking that no one has locally to inspect it with a fine tooth comb to at least insure that what you drive off the lot is initially in good working order and not a money pit from the start.

LittleRedGoat
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, under most circumstances its not going to break sitting in the driveway
2018 Chevy 3500 Duramax DRW, 4wd
2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 6.7l, swb, 4wd(old)
2013 V-Cross 295VRK

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I did. And I wouldn't do it again.

It has been many years, but we bought a Dutchman 5th wheel from a dealer 250 miles away because the local dealer was priced too high and wouldn't budge.

Terrible experience. The trailer was a POS, and the only thing worse than the quality of the trailer was the quality of the dealer. When we needed work, we were put at the end of the line. Which is terrible when the season is short, and you need something like a axle/shackle repaired, or delamination repaired.

I am now of the opinion that when buying new, the dealer is at least as important as the manufacture. You will have problems the first year, and if you want the warranty to mean something, you need the dealer.

Only way I would do it again would be at a HUGE discount, and not count at all on the warranty.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
all great advice, you really don,t need a dealer most mobile techs are way smarter than the $1.98 mech in the dealers shop. mobil tech #1 comes to you, know matter where you are.#2 faster service#3 cheaper#$ more knowledge than a guy at a dealers shop. etc.

#4 A lot of moblie techs will want you to pay up front even if the manufacturer authorizes the repair. They will not wait on the manufacturer to pay them.

#5 If the mobile tech charges a service fee or mileage/travel charge which most do, thats on you.

#6 Mobile techs usually charge more than the reduced amount manufacturers pay for warranty labor, thats on you also.

#7 Few mobile techs in New England / the Northeast. The season is only 5-6 months long and most like to eat which requires income and don't like to collect unemployment insurance all winter.

#8 Not always as good or as easy as it sounds on RV boards.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No, I would not. My experience has been that I needed my dealers help getting the factory to step up and do the right thing.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I've bought four truck campers and three 5th wheel trailers over the years always from local dealers. However I have 7-8 rv dealers within 50-75 miles of where we live.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
The only real dealer support you can expect is a thank you as you hand over your check. After that, there's no real support from a dealer. Take a look at all the dealer complaints on this forum and you will understand that you should get the best deal you can then let your wallet get you support from whoever can fix what needs to be fixed. Good luck

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic everyone thank you!!!!tr
For Sale:Twin Ultra Power HD 6 volt batteries in excellent condition. Very similar to Trojan T-105's. Located in MA. Email Brazenheadbeer@gmail.com

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
all great advice, you really don,t need a dealer most mobile techs are way smarter than the $1.98 mech in the dealers shop. mobil tech #1 comes to you, know matter where you are.#2 faster service#3 cheaper#$ more knowledge than a guy at a dealers shop. etc.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did. Wouldnโ€™t be close to the dealer on a trip anyway.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad