cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

XC Trip with 12yo - TT or PUP? WWYD?

maria_bettina
Explorer
Explorer
My son and I want to travel around the country when he is in 7th grade (a year from now). We have an old '92 Terry Travel Trailer (TT) currently. Out tow rig is a '10 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4WD with a topper.

Last summer I saw a family with a pop-up tent trailer (PUP) at Glacier NP and packing up in the rain and folding up that tent trailer seemed... wet. Though on the other hand, the towing is so mcuh easier than a TT.

My question to you is, what would is your best/easiest mode of travel, assuming you will be driving thousands of miles (10k likely) over the course of a few months -- Old TT or New PUP?

(I have toyed with the idea of a cabover camper for the Tundra, but the payload is only 1640#, so even with a FWC Hawk shell, I would maxxing out the payload. In addition, wouldn't the small space be an issue after a while?)

Travel trailer seems like the obvious choice, but towing would get really tiring, especially if you are going 800+ miles in a couple days. And the lack of parking for RVs and any city driving... I dunno, seems daunting. Towing a pop-up seems SO much easier... but then there's the set up and take down every night or every couple nights. Is it really as bad as I imagine? Do they leak like tents when in steady rain for a few days? We will definitely be hitting rain, and we may head up to Jasper and Banff, so it'll be chilly though I intend to steer clear of snow.

What are the pros and cons of a TT vs PUP? What Would You Do (WWYD)?

PS I am also thinking of buying a new or slightly used Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS thinking it might be easier to maneuver and see behind me since it's 7' wide (as opposed to the 8' TT I have now). Not sure if that makes a difference. :?

Thanks in advance for your insight!
30 REPLIES 30

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would choose the TT. When I was 15, 5 siblings age 4-15, we did a three week trip from Detroit to Montana and back, with side trips to National Parks enroute. Most nights we could just stop (not even unhook), fix dinner in the campground, pile into the trailer to sleep. A popup camper would make that a whole lot more work.

After we wore out that TT (with some help from an uncle who borrowed it to take it to Alaska and Mexico before bringing it back to Michigan) it was replaced by a popup camper, used by my family with Mom, Dad, and the three younger sisters for a week at a time in the state parks. That's what a popup is for.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

maria_bettina
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for all your thoughts and sharing your experiences. We went round and round (til today in fact). We sold our 1992 TT last weekend (in one day!) and although it was bittersweet, having the taillights screw up as the buyer was connecting his TV to the TT was a reminder that we were doing the right thing.

I practiced backing up our utility trailer a few weekends ago. I did ok, but it was nerve-wracking. I know, I know, utility trailers are more difficult to back up, but nevertheless, it factored in my (our) decision - "To tow or not to tow?" That was the question. And it was answered. :B

We thought about building our own cabover camper from Glen-L Designs, but I did the math last night, and we don't have much time left with our son before he heads off to college (7 years from now he will be a senior and know where he's headed!). So instead of spending countless weekends on building, we want to spend it playing...

Which leads me to our "final" decision - We are going to visit the Four Wheel and ATC factories this upcoming week and hopefully put a deposit on a shell.

The reasoning is that even though it might be a tight fit for a XC trip for my son and me, we will be using it for lots of weekend trips and week-long trips too.

So I'm officially heading off to the Truck Camper forum ๐Ÿ™‚ Wish me luck! And thanks again. :C

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Finding parking with a trailer is not too hard, you just might have to park further away from the store. Your legs probably are going to need stretching anyhow. (It's similar with my class C; I need a minimum of two end-to-end parking spaces, and that's pretty tight for width so a quad of four or a bunch side-by-side is preferable.)

I have very fond memories of a somewhat similar trip I took with my mom in fifth grade (I think it was fifth grade). We mostly tent camped, with a motel stay perhaps every third night on average. We got pretty adept at setting up and taking down the tent!

This. I haven't had an trouble finding parking with our setup either. Or at gas stations.

Before we got this trailer the biggest thing I ever towed was a 16" car trailer.

At grocery stores you just part further away and take up multiple spaces. Easier at Walmarts and bigger stores.

We've even taken it on a ferry in NC a few times. That is probably the most disconcerting to me, but no issues...the ferry operators know exactly what you need to do.

Our 11 and 12 year old girls love camping. We have been camping with them since they were babies, starting in the old "family" pop-up my mother in law bought new in 1993! It's still in use by others in the family since we bought our own. ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Practice backing up and then pull whatever trailer you want.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
maria_bettina wrote:
Thanks for all the opinions.

The one about having a TT and getting stuck at a gas station - Eek! That would be me! heh.

Yea, the lack of amenities for the 4WC Hawk shell is an issue, and also the lack of storage which was mentioned before.

The Chalet A-frame still seems to be winning out in my mind, though logically I would still may get stuck having to back up and get out of a tight bind, plus finding parking when we need to shop. Guess I better start my lessons in Towing with the TT we have. Confidence is key I think.

I wish I was a gazillionaire and could just stay in hotels along the way. ๐Ÿ™‚ Though even that is not ideal as I enjoy staying inside the parks to experience nature as much as possible.

I just have to remember even the bad camping experiences turn into funny stories later ๐Ÿ˜‰

Take a look at the Rockwood/Flagstaff A-frame trailers.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

maria_bettina
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Finding parking with a trailer is not too hard, you just might have to park further away from the store. Your legs probably are going to need stretching anyhow. (It's similar with my class C; I need a minimum of two end-to-end parking spaces, and that's pretty tight for width so a quad of four or a bunch side-by-side is preferable.)

I have very fond memories of a somewhat similar trip I took with my mom in fifth grade (I think it was fifth grade). We mostly tent camped, with a motel stay perhaps every third night on average. We got pretty adept at setting up and taking down the tent!

That makes my heart swell โค๏ธ My son is in 5th grade now ๐Ÿ™‚ We took a trip to Glacier and Yellowstone last summer and camped in the truck shell, which my hubbie had decked out for us with a plywood base for the bed and hidey holes under the bed for our stuff. Everything was wonderful through our week at Yellowstone. It even snowed one morning! And then we went to Glacier and it was nonstop rain for 3 days. The driving rain penetrated the shell while we were driving there, and our bedding and truck cap were soaked. :E
It was a nightmare! Now we can laugh (just a little). ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cut our trip short unfortunately. No matter what, we have those memories forever. !!!! But I want a redo. ๐Ÿ˜„

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II

maria_bettina
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the opinions.

The one about having a TT and getting stuck at a gas station - Eek! That would be me! heh.

Yea, the lack of amenities for the 4WC Hawk shell is an issue, and also the lack of storage which was mentioned before.

The Chalet A-frame still seems to be winning out in my mind, though logically I would still may get stuck having to back up and get out of a tight bind, plus finding parking when we need to shop. Guess I better start my lessons in Towing with the TT we have. Confidence is key I think.

I wish I was a gazillionaire and could just stay in hotels along the way. ๐Ÿ™‚ Though even that is not ideal as I enjoy staying inside the parks to experience nature as much as possible.

I just have to remember even the bad camping experiences turn into funny stories later ๐Ÿ˜‰

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 16BHS and think it would work well with your tow vehicle, two adults and a kid.
If the 2016 doesn't have new tires, plan on replacing them with new Goodyear Endurance. You'll want the peace of mind of new, heavier duty tires for the trip.
The 16BHS has crappy mattresses. I recommend the 8-10" Zinus foam ones via eBay. Work well, available in RV queen and bunk sizes, decent price. You can strap up the lower bunk and use that space for storage via the outside storage access door.
The GTWR is based on including the tongue weight. Mine is 3877#. It only has a single 3.5K# axle. Plan on traveling with little water in the tanks to allow for more cargo capacity.
Mine came with a single 20# propane tank and single battery. I suspect boondocking (no hookups) for three people for two days would be the max, three days with utilities discipline. Also then you'd need to haul water.
Any questions about the 16BHS, feel free to ask or PM.
As you can see in my signature, I'm towing with a 2008 Explorer V6. Gets almost 10mpg at 65mph. Does not like hills ;( Stops well using a prodigy brake controller.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Noticed you mentioned in 1st post a 4WC'Hawk'shell. You do realize that it is empty. Over cab bed. benches over wheel wells. No fridge no potty pretty much no nothing. I know I bought one. Been building on it since. Love it. Even though it is really easy to put up & let down would probably be a little small for even 1 adult & 1 teenager to make an extended trip. NOT a lot of room for gear.

JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I'll throw this thought out there - depending on where you go - some campgrounds in Bear Country, don't allow soft-sided campers (unless it's a pop-up truck camper). I would personally lean towards an A-liner type camper if I didn't already have a converted Transit cargo van
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I say look at small hybrids trailers. We had a 17 ft Jayco hybrid for 10 years. We took it on a long trip to California once and on a trip to Yellowstone. You do not have to open the beds every time you stop. On overnighters we left it connected the truck and slept on the dinette. We had that trailer for 10 years and like it so much we bought our current hybrid.

The good thing is that your truck will pull a small trailer with ease. You won't really get tired towing it because it's not that big of a burden.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

TheBar
Explorer
Explorer
I've had popups for many years. I quickly learned to not go camping if rain was predicted. It is a tent and even if rain doesn't get blown inside by the wind you can't put it up wet the next morning or it will mildew in warm weather. I had a brand new one really torn up by an unpredicted sustained high wind and rain overnight. The canvas is like a big sail and all the rocking was scary enough to keep us awake. We were wet and miserable. The dealer was kind enough to give me a good deal on replacement canvas but the support poles were floppy from then on. I still own one and like camping in a pup but personally I wouldn't consider an extended trip in one. I've also camped in just a pickup camper shell with the wife and 2 kids when they were young. Wasn't that bad just crowded. Made a twin size bed that fit sideways over the bed rails. The kids slept underneath that which left room in the back for our gear, even a port-a-potty with privacy curtains for #1 use at night. Rainproof, lockable, and no hitching or setup time, which can really get old quick if you're not staying long in one spot. I like the "plug and play" experience you get with a pickup camper or motorhome. Plus no backing up a trailer which requires some skill if you get blocked in at a gas station or fast food joint.
Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C
DW loves it more than I do

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
maria_bettina wrote:

How do you like the hybrid? If we buy a new (or slightly used) TT, a hydrid is an option. We looked at one 10 years ago when we bought the '92 Terry TT, but my hubbie poopoo'd the hybrid. I forget why. The TT we have now has served us well but it may be time to sell and move to a newer one. ๐Ÿ˜›

Yep, we love it. Bought it new 3 or 4 years ago.

Started in a pop-up and really enjoy the whole tent bed thing, but wanted a real kitchen and a bathroom. Way more floor space for the same length trailer vs a regular TT since the beds are outside. And I like the open feeling it has with all the bed windows. Everything we loved from the popup with the benefits of a hard side as well.

Downsides are:
-More setup, as I said before. Less than a popup but you still have to set the beds up when you stop.

-More exterior noise bothers some people, we are fine with it

-Cold weather camping requires some tricks, latest we have had it out is Thanksgiving...about 30F during the day.

-Matresses are not great...just like a popup. We have foam pads we throw on top, that helps.

Ours is around 28ft closed up, weighs 5200 dry and 6500GVW. 3 Queen size beds, slide out dinette, jackknife sofa.

If looking at used ones, inspect them well. More places for water to get in with poor maintenance and such.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000