cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellow Jacket's Nest on the RV........

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of days ago. I walked out to the rv and for some unknown reason looked above the entrance door and saw an active yellow jacket's nest.
It was under the awning.
After carefully medicating the nest with wasp spray, the nest is dead.
I took some time to look around the rv and did not find any other nests.
If you think about it, check your rv for any similar pests!
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315
13 REPLIES 13

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
Wasps nest inside our furnace

A few years back the camper behind us noticed wasps flying in and out of our furnace vent. We waited until dark and then placed a metal screened rectangular box over the furnace vent. As soon as the wasps felt that box GENTLY placed over the vent, they swarmed out at us. WE sprayed like crazy and kept that box tight up against the vent for two days. Then carefully pulled the furnace out... what a mess.

The nest was at least 4" in diameter. We sprayed the nest and put it in a bag and sprayed it some more... but those wasps were still hatching out of it for a few days.

We have all our vents covered now and check the rig for nests... even under the door pull handles on everything.
Kathy

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When cleaning up my MH in preparation for selling her last month ๐Ÿ˜ž I jammed my hand up under the lift handle of the propane bay to open it. There was a wasp nest built under there that I could not see :E. Fortunately, it was still very chilly here and they were lethargic. I did not get stung, and over a period of about 2 minutes, they all flew off. I tore the nest down, and searched all of the other door handles.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Another place to look is the trailer tongue, especially under the coupler. Some manufacturers do not seal up the ends of the box tubing that is used to build some trailer tongues. I almost got stung before while hitching up. I have found wasp nests there on 2 of my trailers.

kellyandpatti
Explorer
Explorer
I went to my trailer today in storage yard and found 3 separate wasps nest,one under awning, and two under propane cover. looked at other rvs to see if mine was only one, did not spot any on others rv??

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
RVs are great wasp habitat. They like it hot! My van has black plastic enclosures around the side mirrors. Nice and toasty, with small wasp sized openings where the mirror pivots.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Somewhere I learned another use for WD40; spray it in the area where the wasps are trying to build a nest. It supposedly makes the surface so slippery the nest will not adhere. I'm thinkin Tub and Tile spray would do the same job and not be as messy.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure going to have fun with my off-road POPUP trailer. It has been setting closed up for two seasons now in same spot and I see all kinds of wasp traffic coming and going...

I am going to move my trailer to another part of the yard and open it up and start from the bottom up haha...

I should be in good shape on the inside as I did alot of sealing up access to the outside and such since we did alot of camping off-road...

Going to be a good cleanup routine I'm sure to get back to normal again...

At least being a off-road Trailer I have great clearance under the trailer. I have told several on-lookers I could a hang hammock under my trailer and sleep in the shade haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my canoe on saw horses so I can get under and lift it easier.
One day I got under it, lifted up and looking right at a small nest. Got stung in the forehead.
Never moved so fast in my life.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I was investigating why I was getting sewer smells inside the MH. So while standing on the nearly top rung of the ladder I remove the thru the roof vent cap, and i see a wasps nest. . . so without thinking I reach inside the vent and remove the nest with my fingers. What follows could have made it on "America's Funniest Home Videos". I fortunately did not get stung, nor did I fall from the ladder, but I had more speed than I could have imagined.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I've found them nesting under the trailer. Now whenever I see one I really watch to see if it's just flying through or intends to stop. :E

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I run into a lot of them. I find the Safer brand mint spray is far more effective than Raid, FYI. It also works as a pleasant-smelling preventative.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Had one in the refer coils a few years back.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I had this exact same thing last summer.
I walked past it a couple days prior and didn't notice a thing.
Then, a few days later I walk past (or tried to), and got attacked and there was a huge paper nest hanging under the awning.