cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

License to drive motor homes over 26,000 lbs.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
A guy I know said he heard people were being pulled over on I-78 near Hamburg,Pa and cited for not having a license to drive a motorhome over 26,000 lbs.He looked online and found nothing so he called his state rep and he eventually got a call from someone at PennDOT that yes, you need a license and he arranged to take his test. Did anyone else hear of this?
41 REPLIES 41

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
Based on link, it appears you only need class A if trailer is over 10k AND total combo is over 26k.
Class C if trailer is over 10k AND total combo is under 26k, which is the case of huge 5th wheels being pulled by F-350?
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
cruiseruser wrote:
Lantley...if I pass the test, do I win a new RV? :B

A trailer in excess of 10,000 pounds is considered a Class G in Maryland. It's considered "Non Freight" when towing for personal not commercial reasons.

MD MVA recreational vehicles

Under classes of licenses it states:

A Class "A" non-commercial license driver's license authorizes the licensee to drive combinations of Class F (tractor) and Class G trailer (over 10,000 lbs.) or vehicles (GCWR 26,001 lbs.)

Definitions can also be found under Maryland statute 13-927.

Let me know what I win!!!

Are class G trailers completely forbidden by other license classes? Or is it only that a class F tractor plus a class G trailer requires a class A license?

Assuming the non-commercial classes follow the federal CDL classes, which it appears that they do, any combination that is not more than 26,000 pounds combined weight (rating) only needs a standard class C license. This does include some where the trailer is over 10,000 pounds. This leads, at least with CDLs, to the rather unfortunate situation where some people will tow heavy trailers with marginal tow vehicles to stay under the weight limit and thus not need a CDL, rather than having a safer and larger tow vehicle that would force them to get a class A CDL.

cruiseruser
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley...if I pass the test, do I win a new RV? :B

A trailer in excess of 10,000 pounds is considered a Class G in Maryland. It's considered "Non Freight" when towing for personal not commercial reasons.

Under classes of licenses it states:

A Class โ€œAโ€ non-commercial license driverโ€™s license authorizes the licensee to drive combinations of Class F (tractor) and Class G trailer (over 10,000 lbs.) or vehicles (GCWR 26,001 lbs.)

Definitions can also be found under Maryland statute 13-927.

Let me know what I win!!!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
cruiseruser wrote:
Univmd - that's correct. A Maryland Non Commercial Class A License is needed to tow more than 10,000 pounds or a tow vehicle/camper combo that has a GVWR total of 26,001 pounds plus.

Maryland is the same as PA when it comes to taking your test at a specific DMV office. Some are set up for "normal" vehicle testing and some are set up for CDL and large non commercial vehicles in addition to "normal" vehicles.

Cruiseruser do you have a link to the over 10K trailer requirement . I'm not disputing it. But All I found is hat I quoted below from the MD MVA website.
"A Class โ€œCโ€ non-commercial driverโ€™s license authorizes the licensee to drive any vehicle or combination of vehicles with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds, except:

Commercial Motor Vehicles; and
Motorcycles."
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
timmac wrote:
About 4 years ago Nevada also made it a requirement to have a non commercial type CDL license to operate a motorhome over 26000 lbs.

I don't need one for just my motorhome but when I hookup my stacker trailer than I am over the weight by 400 lbs, but so far I have not got the new license.

Is the license requirement for the GVWR of the motorhome, or the COMBINED weight of the motorhome and towed load?
Such laws are usually very specific, as in the trailer brake laws here in Montana. If the trailer has a GVWR of 3000 lbs. or over, brakes are required on all wheels, even if the actual empty trailer weight in only 1500 lbs. A pickup is registered for the Gross Weight of the truck and load, regardless of the weight of any trailer.

Both motorhome or combined with towing as I read the new law.

cruiseruser
Explorer
Explorer
Univmd - that's correct. A Maryland Non Commercial Class A License is needed to tow more than 10,000 pounds or a tow vehicle/camper combo that has a GVWR total of 26,001 pounds plus.

Maryland is the same as PA when it comes to taking your test at a specific DMV office. Some are set up for "normal" vehicle testing and some are set up for CDL and large non commercial vehicles in addition to "normal" vehicles.

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
jffnkrn wrote:
For me, once retired, i maintained my Class A CDL. The decision to maintain it is simple for me. I get a deduction on my auto insurance that is more than the physical cost, and with any updated changes in laws across our great nation, i don't have to worry about them either. I don't want to open a can of worms, but we all drive large vehicles and should at least be aware and have an understanding of the additional risks when driving heavy rigs and towing as well. I know we all are cautious and make safety one of our priorities, just wish they could have everyone be aware, especially those weekend warriors that tow a bunch of stuff, overloaded, up and down the hills like they are going to a fire call. I have been passed on a downhill from people doing at least 70 with a toy hauler headed home. Anyhow, my tow or three cents worth. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

I agree. The issues you mention could be accomplished with a written test of some sort. I 'm not sure a skills test is needed. Nor are any CDL requirements needed. WE don't need to totally reinvent the wheel.
The government is just not that efficient at anything it does. Keep it simple.

I finally got my official Maryland Class B non-commercial RV license with air brake endorsement from the Frederick MVA even though I live in MD. The Beltsville MVA did not know what an RV is, and did not know how to add an air brake endorsement test to a Class B non-commercial test. The Landover MVA did not know how to give a Class B non commercial RV driving test. The Glen Burnie MVA did not know how to test an RV driver who did not bring another driver with the RV license already. Question: A Maryland Class A non commercial RV license is also required for RVers that tow more than 10,000 pounds (big travel trailers & 5th wheels)?
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
jffnkrn wrote:
For me, once retired, i maintained my Class A CDL. The decision to maintain it is simple for me. I get a deduction on my auto insurance that is more than the physical cost, and with any updated changes in laws across our great nation, i don't have to worry about them either. I don't want to open a can of worms, but we all drive large vehicles and should at least be aware and have an understanding of the additional risks when driving heavy rigs and towing as well. I know we all are cautious and make safety one of our priorities, just wish they could have everyone be aware, especially those weekend warriors that tow a bunch of stuff, overloaded, up and down the hills like they are going to a fire call. I have been passed on a downhill from people doing at least 70 with a toy hauler headed home. Anyhow, my tow or three cents worth. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

I agree. The issues you mention could be accomplished with a written test of some sort. I 'm not sure a skills test is needed. Nor are any CDL requirements needed. WE don't need to totally reinvent the wheel.
The government is just not that efficient at anything it does. Keep it simple.
Correct Trax,Splendide

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Although CA may be the exception if over 40 feet."

We have all kinds of goofy rules here in California. Moonbeam is in charge.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

cruiseruser
Explorer
Explorer
Cross21114 - I drove gassers all my life. The truck I have now is a diesel and I can't imagine going back to a gasser...well maybe due to the DEF addition of the newer diesels.

Anyway, it sounds as if you possess a Class A CDL license. I say that your experience driving large vehicles could be passed successfully to any family member. Make them comfortable with driving and maintaining a large vehicle. It will only make them better and safer drivers in the long run. And passing that Non Commercial Class B examination will not be a problem. Then get whatever rig that you want and enjoy retirement.

Many safe and happy travels to you and yours.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
cruiseruser wrote:
Cross21114 - You will not need a Maryland Non Commercial Class A to pull a TOAD. As long as your TOAD or trailer is under 10,000 pounds a Maryland Non Commercial Class B is all that's needed. Below quote is taken right out of Maryland's License handbook.

A Class โ€œBโ€ non-commercial driverโ€™s license authorizes the licensee to drive any single vehicle GVWR 26,001 pounds or more. Allows pulling a trailer under 10,000 lbs. (GVWR).

If you have family or friends that are licensed in another state that has no requirements for special licenses on RV's, they can also operate your vehicle legally on their home state license.

Don't give up the ship yet!

Thanks for the clarification on towing. Still trying to decide if it's worth it having to put people through this or go with a gasser. But a diesel truck driver - wish I could stick with one.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
fpresto wrote:
Cross21114, What makes it worse is that when the change in the requirements was put into effect the RV dealers were complaining that it would severely hurt their business. Their workaround is to not mention it to the customers.
That said I can see why the requirements are put in place. Without something like that a 16 year old who had never driven anything bigger than a VW could pass his/her drivers test for a class C, walk out of the MVA office and climb into his daddies 40ft diesel pusher and legally head down the road. With the requirement for a class B they at least demonstrate a minimal ability before they are turned loose on the public. I upgraded to a B. It is not that hard.

THe new law is a solution looking for a problem!
It is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Have you seen any 16 year olds driving dads 40" DP? It is certainly not a major problem.
If the kid is going to do it do you think the lack of an endorsement is going to stop him!
I can agree maybe there needs to be a bit more regulation, but a simple written test would suffice. There is no need for the process to resemble the CDL requirements.
Correct Trax,Splendide

cruiseruser
Explorer
Explorer
Cross21114 - You will not need a Maryland Non Commercial Class A to pull a TOAD. As long as your TOAD or trailer is under 10,000 pounds a Maryland Non Commercial Class B is all that's needed. Below quote is taken right out of Maryland's License handbook.

A Class โ€œBโ€ non-commercial driverโ€™s license authorizes the licensee to drive any single vehicle GVWR 26,001 pounds or more. Allows pulling a trailer under 10,000 lbs. (GVWR).

If you have family or friends that are licensed in another state that has no requirements for special licenses on RV's, they can also operate your vehicle legally on their home state license.

Don't give up the ship yet!