cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Input on the Grand Canyon Train.

smcrea
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Everyone,

We are very interested in taking the site seeing train from Williams Grand Canyon on the grand Canyon Railway.

Has anyone done this and can give input. For example the benefits of taking the observation dome as opposed to the coach class.

Also does anyone know if the Pullman class has AC?

Is first class a good choice?

All input would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the link.. http://www.thetrain.com

Thanks!

Steve
12 REPLIES 12

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that Trailer Village is right next to Mather CG and inside the park. Reservations are a must for week ends almost all year long. We prefer Mather CG, no hook ups but nice.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

ttkparker216
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed the train, something different. But make sure you don't miss it going back! They will leave without you. We almost missed it due to getting on the bus to get back to the train after exploring and the bus driver decided to stop and eat his lunch.

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
noe-place wrote:
We rode the train to the canyon and back about four years ago. When we got back the steam engine broke down and they had to switch to a diesel backup. The ride was not particularly exciting or scenic; just interesting. They did have a couple of guys dressed as outlaw cowboys climb onboard and "rob" the passengers. Also a guy who played guitar and sang for us. That made the long ride to the canyon easier. We stayed in the Grand Canyon Railroad RV Resort in Williams; a large parking lot-like campground. Very nice with full h'ups, no shade but so close to town you can walk easily to restaurants and grocery store. Playground very close by; golf course a short drive north of town and most of all beautiful scenery around Old Route 66. :C

We did this too, and had a wonderful time! Our kids were 12 & 14--the younger one is severely mentally handicapped, so he's more like a toddler. Still, they both thought the train was fabulous. I think we had about 4hrs or so to see the GC--obviously, not enough time, but it was just right with the kids. Especially my youngest, who couldn't get enough of that view and tried his best to get over the side! I finally had to just strap him into a stroller and turn it around so he couldn't see it. :S Loved the "robbery" and the singing cowboys, too.

Oh, and there is a nice indoor pool and a hot tub at the resort. The RV resort is clean as a whistle, too. Great laundry facilities and you could just about eat off the bath house floors.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We rode the train to the canyon and back about four years ago. When we got back the steam engine broke down and they had to switch to a diesel backup. The ride was not particularly exciting or scenic; just interesting. They did have a couple of guys dressed as outlaw cowboys climb onboard and "rob" the passengers. Also a guy who played guitar and sang for us. That made the long ride to the canyon easier. We stayed in the Grand Canyon Railroad RV Resort in Williams; a large parking lot-like campground. Very nice with full h'ups, no shade but so close to town you can walk easily to restaurants and grocery store. Playground very close by; golf course a short drive north of town and most of all beautiful scenery around Old Route 66. :C

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Club car//domes//private cars...all worth the extra $$$ just for what RCMAN46 points out. We have done the Canyon twice, enjoyable train ride. The train IS the adventure, not so much the scenery like DSRG. All are good IMHO. 🙂 🙂
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I like trains and the history about trains. When we took the train we booked the Luxury Dome Class. It was a little more spendy but worth it to me. Children under 15 are not allowed on the car. We had a train ride with the Durango-Silverton ruined by three children that yelled,cried and basically a total nuisance during the trip.
If you do drive to the canyon there is an air Museum Planes of Fame on the way that is worth the stop if you like airplanes.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Unable to comment on the train, but the drive (60 miles) from Williams to Grand Canyon Village is seriously boring. Dead straight and no scenery worth seeing. Most notable sight was the old Super Connie sitting outside the airport!
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for more results. We recommend it for all RVers.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Finally_Fulltim
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoyed the train ride, but there's really nothing to see along the way, so skip the dome. 2nd the motion on Canyon De Chelly - I'd put that on your "don't miss" list.

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
We have done the train a couple times. Love it. There are a couple parks near Williams and we stayed at a KOA. They have bus service to the train and will pick you up. We took the train ride in and spent the night at the Rim Hotel and back out the next day. And got our bus ride back to the camp ground. Saves having to deal with a car/truck.. Great ride. We have gone 1st class and normal. Really saw no difference as far as enjoying it. Do not remember if there was AC. Had a jacket on both trips..
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
The south rim of the Grand Canyon is around 6,500 feet elevation. I would be more worried about heat in the train, than A/C cooling. Check the weather, snow is possible in April, and sometimes in early May, yet it should be warming up now.

You can check Weather.com and zip code 86046

There is a trailer village just outside the park with hookups, and dry camping only inside the park. My suggestion is if you want to take the train, spend a couple of nights in Williams, and then dry camp inside the park at least one night, and if you feel the need for hookups, make reservations at the place just outside the park. There is a I-Max theater just across the street, whit great movie of the parks.

If a little more limited on time, your wife might take the kids on the train, then you can pick them up at the south rim village with the truck, and go back to your camping area. You can find out about it on video tape.

Also if you have heard about that bridge that sticks out about 100' over the canyon wall, it is closer to (and north of) Kingman AZ, and not near the Grand Canyon Village.

If you want to see a really steep canyon, go to Canyon De Chelley, and look at the south end viewpoint, the one southeast of the southern parking area. There is a wall almost straight down, about 300' or more. With a Indian tour guide, you can drive into the canyon, or be driven in on their vehicles, and see the walls from the bottom looking up.

Zion National Park, you can see the canyons from the bottom looking up. Grand Canyon and Bryce canyon have the roadways at the top of the canyon, looking down. Bryce and Zion are normally a lot cooler than Grand Canyon. It's all in the altitude.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

hawkman541
Explorer
Explorer
We took the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon. It was a beautiful train ride. Its an all day affair. Take snacks and water with you in a carry on or back pack. They have snack cars and for the 1st class riders, they have a diner car. We were able to see everything from coach. Our commentator was great. If you want 1st class, go for it. We were in coach, and had a great time. The western show in the morning next to the station are the same ones that rob the train in the afternoon. Its a lot of fun. With the walking at the canyon, you will have a good trip. Good luck
2002 Ford F-450 Crew Cab
2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio
Frank-10lb. Chihuahua