cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The in laws

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
I'm taking my sister in law and her boys(2 and 4) camping for their first time. Other than the usual hunting for "cool rocks" and fishing with no hook what are some fun things to keep the kiddos busy/entertained this weekend?

The older one is at the perfect age to get him into outdoors so I want to make sure he has a good time so he will want to come camping again with me(without his mom lol)!
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
30 REPLIES 30

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
The old school stick, string, red and white bobber, a bit of lead, a hook, and a box of worms. That's my vote. Pack his backpack (every kid has a backpack) with a sandwich and a drink and take a walk (hike) they will find bugs, rocks, leaves, and much more....
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
bubbles especially for the little one, make a fort with string and quilt or blanket. "I Spy" or scavenger hunt. Glow-in-the-dark ring toss. Camping art (draw tent, tree, stream).
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Let them help you build the fire in the fire-pit, it gives them a great sense of accomplishment, especially picking up kindling and small sticks. A scavenger hunt with easily found items like a bird, a pine tree, something soft, something brown, a dog, etc. Kids love bubbles and you can buy them for next to nothing at the dollar stores. Cheap flashlights for them to play with after dark are priceless, as well as chem-light necklaces and such. Can you bring their bikes? Walks around the campgrounds are always entertaining. Don't be afraid to let them bring a couple of their favorite toys for the times when the adults want some quiet time or are preparing meals. Having a few special toys that only go in the RV is nice too.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Take the boys snake hunting. Catch a couple samples and bring them back to the RV for show and tell, then release.

That will be mom's last camping trip. 😉

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
Don't underestimate their imaginations and curiosity!!! My g-kids are 3&1. We spend our time playing the games they come up with, exploring where they want to go, and their fascination with the new things and animals they might see. Also, everything about the TT is awesome to them! The outside shower can keep them entertained for an hour! Have fun!!!
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Barbless hook with close constant supervision. Short hike, UNO card game and a short video for before bed. Take lots of pictures as you are making great memories
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with the others about the fishing. You cast it for him, but let him have the opportunity to catch something. Watching you catch fish while his line just sits there won't be any fun. Once he's reeled in, you can start showing him how to cast.

Other activities: photography - a cheap digital camera can get them very excited about the outdoors. A scavenger hunt. Get a book on insects and go bug hunting and identifying. A tree identification book.

I also agree with letting them help with setup, take down, and all that's in between. Kids under 9 are eager to help and want to do a good job. Let them sweep out the trailer, let them help plan the meals, and so on. They'll love it and will remember that for years.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

cheteckie
Explorer
Explorer
My niece still remembers the time she "slept on the kitchen table bed" in our TT. And cooking her own hot dog on a stick over the campfire.
2013 Allegro Bus
2013 Subaru WRX

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
A float and a hook. You cast it in and let the child reel in the fish hopefully. However the 2 year old might be a stretch to entertain other than playing in the dirt. 🙂

Scavenger hunt is good. Different colored rocks, leaves, etc.

Wiener roast, smores, firewood gathering, hiking, license plate searching for different states if they are a little older.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

rmartinbull
Explorer
Explorer
Bamboo pole

rmartinbull
Explorer
Explorer
If your worried about him casting out a line, let them use a bamboo pole
I still like to use one with my grandaughter

Impkitti
Explorer
Explorer
I vote with give the boy a hook.

I was about 5 and my first fishing pole was a stick with a string and hook tied to it. I actually caught a little lake perch off the edge of the dock.

And I Knew The Rules. Any flinging, stomping on the dock or loud voices meant no fishing.

Almost 60 years ago and I still remember the thrill of that first fish.

Is the room to take their bikes? A scavenger hike through the woods looking for specific trees, plants, bugs and birds can be fun.
Ellen

1 Retired Husband
2 Dogs
2 Cats
1 2008 F350SD Truck
1 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
2 Cars
1 House
Not Enough Time

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I must say, I agree with BTPO1. If you want the 4 year old to want to go fishing again, he needs the opportunity to actually catch something. That 4" bream will be the beginning of wanting to go fishing. If he doesn't catch something, and he will realize he can't, then sitting still is absolutely NO FUN. I started fishing at a very young age, and by 5-6 I was learning to scale my own. Fast forward many years, and I was able to take my son fishing and help him clean the fish he caught.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
Noone has taught him to fish yet so I'd imagine he would just swing it around crazy like trying to cast. Much safer without a hook when i start to teach him lol
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
I will probably get blasted, but why not let the older one fish with a hook on his line? Both my DD and DS both started fishing around three with hooks. I just needed to pay more attention to them. I would bait the hook for them until they got older, but they were happy to catch something. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH