cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A very tragic weekend

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
We're still in shock and very depressed after this past weekend. We were at a sheepdog trial in NY north of NYC near the CT line. Sunday morning my wife was "setting sheep" (bringing out and keeping sheep in place for the competing teams) with her dog Bette (11 years). After completing her stint setting sheep she put Bette in her crate to reset. Bette went in alert and relaxed. About an hour later we went to take the dogs out for lunch time potty break and Bette was unable to stand, she was mentally alert. There were 5 vets at this trial and one is certified in Chiro; she checked Bette over and could find no physical cause for the lack of muscle control in her back legs (she did have feeling in her back legs). While checking Bette over she started to loose color (grey gums). We contacted 3 more vets that were at the competition and the 4 of them worked to try to save Bette (IVs, Ultrasound to investigate, CPR, epinephrine, etc.) but within about an hour of getting her out of her crate she was dead. Bette was tested for the cause of death and the preliminary results indicated vegetative endocarditis (bacterial growth on a heart valve); bits of this growth likely broke off leading to embolism(s). Bette had no symptoms of endocarditis (we looked up the symptoms) prior to this; she was an athletically fit Border Collie. My wife is devastated.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M
29 REPLIES 29

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
So sorry for your loss.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so very sorry for your loss, Mark.

Pops n' Calvin

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beloved Bette. Words cannot adequately express nor console you in such a difficult time. Nine years ago we lost one of our beloved pets. She was healthy one minute and fighting for her life the next, within 3 days we lost her and it hit me really hard. It took a long time to get past losing her. Since then we've lost three others for different reasons, each very difficult. We have two now and although I think of the others often, our two girls bring us a lot of joy.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

otis-agnes
Explorer
Explorer
Bette is a beautiful pup. May happy memories carry you through this tough time. My sincere condolences. Agnes
Otis, Agnes and Penny & Twinkie (our rescue pups)
2018 Grey Wolf 23MK
2019 Ford F250

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so very sorry for your loss, that is heartbreaking for sure. She was a beautiful lady.

Doug

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
I am so very sorry, Mark. I know Bette was a special member of your family. May your sorrow be eased in your memories of her.

Rita
Buttons the Princess Sheltie
Andy and Champ, at the Bridge
Nicky, my beautiful, intelligent Tennessee Walker mare

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
We are so sorry to hear about your loss
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like Bette was a great old girl. I know she will be missed.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry to hear. My SIL just suddenly lot one of her show labs (3 1/2 years old) under similar circumstances to what Dr. Doug described. Nothing can prepare you for that kind of shock. Sending prayers you way.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

dturm
I'm so sorry, Mark. Acute problems like this are devastating. No warning, nothing you can do and you always end up second guessing and thinking what if.

My very favorite golden of all time, Amanda, was slowing down but she was 12. All of a sudden she collapsed, got pale and shocky. I got her to the hospital and she died before I could even get an IV in her. I know it was a hemangiosarcoma tumor in her heart that ruptured (autopsy), but no evidence before hand. Still second guess myself on that one.

Again, very sorry for your loss.

Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for you loss. Having tragically lost a dog, we understand how painful it can be.

Lot's of warm fuzzies being set your way.

Tom and Sarah
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shock and sorrow; prayers for you in your grief.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

GypsySeniors
Explorer
Explorer
What an awful shock and tragedy...I feel your pain and heartache...sounds like you did everything humanly possible for your dear girl...I know she was well loved and a family member...You are in my thoughts and prayers...your heart is broken.

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
We are so sorry for your loss. That would be heartbreaking.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL