cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone have a Russian Blue

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I like this cat breed but I've read that they don't like a lot of changes to their environment. We aren't full-timers so the cat would join us on vacation and weekends in the RV
10 REPLIES 10

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
My first cat was "blue" - but her voice clearly said "Siamese mix"...LOL!! Ironically, she was a great traveler and walked on a leash like a dog!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
It was many, many years before microchips were available.

(And for some reason I feel compelled to point out that most of us here with our "mutt" cats have them microchipped. It's not something only owners of purebred cats do.)
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did your Grandmother try taking it to a Vet and have them Scan for a Micro Chip?? We have all our Kids Micro Chipped and many others with expensive Pure Bred Cats do the same.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
First let me say, just because you have a Blue Cat doesn't make it a Russian Blue.

Agreed, but my grandmother's was definitely a Russian Blue. She looked all over trying to find the owners.

Lady_Fitzgerald
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
First let me say, just because you have a Blue Cat doesn't make it a Russian Blue. Kittens run anywhere from $500 up (typically $750 to $1000), so not that many are just wandering around.
To the OP, find a Cat Show in your area and go talk to the owners and breeders. If that does work for you, go online to the CFA or CCA web sites where you can get info on certified catteries and contact them. Stay away from the Pet Shops and Want adds.
We travel with four American Shorthairs. They ride in a large cage in the TV and usually pass out as soon as we get started. The two younger ones have spent most of their life in the TV and RV traveling with us.

They might be mixed breeds. Some friends of mine recently adopted (actually, the other way around) two adorable Russian Blue mixed kittens (twins, literally) that look to be purebred. Their mixed heritage (I'm guessing the father was a traveling salesman or of questionable parentage himself) and the fact they had to be kept together (they are devoted to each other!) was the reason they were in a shelter.
Jeannie

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
First let me say, just because you have a Blue Cat doesn't make it a Russian Blue. Kittens run anywhere from $500 up (typically $750 to $1000), so not that many are just wandering around.
To the OP, find a Cat Show in your area and go talk to the owners and breeders. If that does work for you, go online to the CFA or CCA web sites where you can get info on certified catteries and contact them. Stay away from the Pet Shops and Want adds.
We travel with four American Shorthairs. They ride in a large cage in the TV and usually pass out as soon as we get started. The two younger ones have spent most of their life in the TV and RV traveling with us.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
My grandmother had a Russian Blue when I was a kid. He was a stray who stayed. I remember him being a very calm cat, but also as a one-person cat. He loved Grandma devotedly and would drape himself around her neck when she was in her rocking chair. But he didn't have much interest in anybody else.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have a pound cat that has to be a R..blue. Loves to have it's head rubbed and after an hour in the MH it settles down and enjoy's the ride.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Blue and she is fabulous. She likes it the way she likes it. On our cross-country move from AZ back to FL, she rode on the back of my seat almost all the way and when she wasn't, she was on the back of the couch looking out the window.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't know about travel......

Many years ago a Russian Blue adopted US (maybe her people moved too much).

First cat I ever had.......wasn't much of a cat person. But she won me over.
Dang good cat.
BUT we didn't take her on trips. She did have her 'routine patrol area' as she was an indoor/outdoor cat and would be gone during the day back home in afternoon/evenings. (maybe she was visiting her other family)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31