cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charlie did me in, LOL!!

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
What a fiasco and I never knew this could happen.

I had very bad muscle spasms in my back for a week and decided to go to urgent care, perhaps get muscle relaxers. We also had to cancel our river trip because of it.

Well the doctor looked into his computer and supposedly California has a drug data base. The doctor said it looks like you had pain pills in the month of Nov. and March, actually you had about 400 pain pills. I said no way, its a mistake. All I can think of maybe they got mixed up with my husband because he had back surgery 9 months ago, but he probably only took the most 30 pain pills. The doctor said you will have to go to your pharmacy and get all this straightened out. I did and the pharmacist asked me do you have a dog, yes, Charlie. I never thought of Charlie being the culprit, LOL. I did get muscle relaxers and only took one and the next day my back felt great.

As far as Charlie, he has a bad back and neck and takes 2 Tramadol, 2 Gabapentin and 2 vetprofen a day. Otherwise he probably wouldn’t be walking today.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
13 REPLIES 13

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
I do know somebody who had a dog with a horrible spinal injury. The vet gave them some powerful pain meds and said, "Now don't try these yourselves." Is that a common admonition these days? I was horrified, but maybe I am hopelessly out of touch with the world today.:E
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
I've never gotten pets' Rx's anywhere at the vet's office. Are they matching those up with the dog's owner's records now? I don't even think my dog has a SS# yet!
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
dturm wrote:

If you can tell, this is a sore subject with me.

Doug, DVM

LOL! And rightly so! You forgot to mention Vet clinics being broken into (or held up!) for drugs.... my own vet's clinic has had to reinforce the place like a fortress, due to repeated break-ins.... the elegant brick pillars at the entrance aren't there just for the dogs to pee on..... they're there to stop a car trying to crash the front door.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
I see this situation from both sides, and it's a mess.

Sandy has chronic degenerative spine and requires frequent pain treatment. It's gotten so bad that regular doctors don't like to give prescriptions of controlled drugs for fear that the DEA will show up locked and loaded. Then there is the record keeping and expense of dealing with controlled drugs (I deal with that professionally and it's a pain - pun intended)

I understand that there is a drug problem in our society, but to make it so difficult to prescribe or get drugs for those who really need them isn't a good solution.

Neither was the "Just say NO" campaign or locking up drug offenders (half our jail population is drug related) are solutions. The cost's due to people feeding their habits and then society housing them in jails just doesn't seem to be reasonable.

Now they are trying to reduce supply by making it harder to get controlled drugs. We know how effective that is, just look at how prohibition fueled organized crime. Now the drug cartel/organizations component of crime will find a source even if every prescribed controlled drugs are eliminated.

Doug, DVM

Absolutly agree!!
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
We hear about it all the time in Florida, it's been a very serious hardship for some people, especially the elderly that have to be on certain medications for pain all the time.
Some have been on the news pleading for a fix to the problem as they can't get their medications and the pharmacy makes them feel like criminals.
Really sad...

Sher (good to see Charlie is still going strong)
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
It is going to get worse, much worse and will continue to worsen unless we (American people wake up) un- elect all the politicians and start over with a new batch that looks out for the people who pay them (meaning US)
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

dturm
I see this situation from both sides, and it's a mess.

Sandy has chronic degenerative spine and requires frequent pain treatment. It's gotten so bad that regular doctors don't like to give prescriptions of controlled drugs for fear that the DEA will show up locked and loaded. Then there is the record keeping and expense of dealing with controlled drugs (I deal with that professionally and it's a pain - pun intended)

I understand that there is a drug problem in our society, but to make it so difficult to prescribe or get drugs for those who really need them isn't a good solution.

Neither was the "Just say NO" campaign or locking up drug offenders (half our jail population is drug related) are solutions. The cost's due to people feeding their habits and then society housing them in jails just doesn't seem to be reasonable.

Now they are trying to reduce supply by making it harder to get controlled drugs. We know how effective that is, just look at how prohibition fueled organized crime. Now the drug cartel/organizations component of crime will find a source even if every prescribed controlled drugs are eliminated.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
USA Traveler wrote:
I agree the world is getting out of control when you are not able to get the medical treatment or prescriptions needed because "someone else" who doesn't even know you has made the decision.

Well, poor Charlie, hope all goes well with him and his medical issues.

Have a great day!

Double ditto.

Bureaucracy in action :S Glad you were able to get it sorted. So tell me, CA lumps dog scripts and human scripts together??? :h

Yes,they do. Must be a code like for canine when it's written up in the data base. Maybe the doctor over looked it. I guess a person if they wanted to could take their dogs pain pills. My husband was on Tramadol for back pain, same pills Charlie is taking, perhaps different strengths.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
USA Traveler wrote:
I agree the world is getting out of control when you are not able to get the medical treatment or prescriptions needed because "someone else" who doesn't even know you has made the decision.

Have a great day!

Double ditto.

Bureaucracy in action :S Glad you were able to get it sorted. So tell me, CA lumps dog scripts and human scripts together??? :h
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

USA_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer

Have a great day!
Cody Dillon & Chanel Dion (Maltese), Brandi (mix)
2007 40' Monaco Knight, towing a 2009 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible
Chunky,Cassie,Corky,Cammie-Maltese at Rainbow Bridge
Tinky-Gray Tabbie - Rainbow Bridge

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
No wonder Charlie's back hurts. Sounds like he's carrying a monkey on it! :B

(Just kidding, Charlie! We all do what we've gotta do!)
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
DEA isn't the problem the problem is the BUMS who have caused this issue.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing like dealing with the DEA for medical issues.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman