cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dog fears thunder!

Flatfive
Explorer
Explorer
Our 90-lb seven year-old Golden Retriever who is normally very mellow, will pant and whine and try to escape our TT if he hears thunder or a firecracker. What will calm him down? Tranquilizers? Thundercoat? What have you found that works?
21 REPLIES 21

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
Thundershirt and Rescue Remedy worked for ours.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
ourtravels wrote:
Unfortunately, a few years ago, Paige's anxiety escalated to full-blown panic attacks. We arrived home one day to a completely destroyed dog-room door. Our little 30 lb. girl had destroyed her crate, and then chewed and ripped a 3 foot square hole in the door.:E Our other BC was still calmly napping ๐Ÿ™‚

She is now on fluoxetine (prozac) daily with alprazolam (xanax) added during extreme anxiety, and is doing very well.

Margaret
My hope for you is that Paige does not continue to get worse overtime. We've been done that road and it is not one I wish on anyone. Stay on top of the meds and be ready to adjust if things get worse.

Mark

Welcome to the forum, fellow sheepdog handler.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Learned something new. Never heard of a "thunder shirt" before.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Thunder shirts need to be used correctly. If you put it on after the first bolt, it probably won't work at least on many dogs. They simply associate the shirt with thunder.

You should put t on them randomly when it's not stormy and they will associate it with being happy.

Also don't comfort them or treat them like their wounded when the thunder comes. Again, association and thinking something is really wrong. Act normally.

Rescue remedy helped our standard. Our rescue Morkie that was raised in an outside kennel is having a hard time.

I disagree with the statement in bold.

Patricia McConnell --You Can't Reinforce Fear; Dogs and Thunderstorms

Suzanne Clothier--Myth of Reinforcing Fear
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thunder shirts need to be used correctly. If you put it on after the first bolt, it probably won't work at least on many dogs. They simply associate the shirt with thunder.

You should put t on them randomly when it's not stormy and they will associate it with being happy.

Also don't comfort them or treat them like their wounded when the thunder comes. Again, association and thinking something is really wrong. Act normally.

Rescue remedy helped our standard. Our rescue Morkie that was raised in an outside kennel is having a hard time.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
We should all fear thunder as lightning is near. Having survived a close encounter I can relate to the dogs fears.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Thundershirt for one our Boston's and it works miracles however I know it won't work on every dog. It was a life saver for us. You will just have to try it for your dog and see if it will work for you.

Doug

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Same with our Golden. We use Vetriscience Composure recommended by our vet in combination with a Thundershirt. Doesn't completely eliminate the stress, but significantly reduces it.

The Thundershirts don't fit my Ben (too short-coupled) - but the Composure tabs helped him get through the 4th of July, which is several nights of nearby fireworks since we live on a large lake. And as someone else mentioned, Ben seems to be more comfortable hiding under a blanket, which is how we handle middle-of-the-night thunderstorms.

I should add that Ben's fear level is probably a 5 out of 10. I've seen dogs that get crazed with fear - Ben just sits and trembles. Not bug-eyed heavy panting/drooling; and surely not the destroy-the-house terror that some dogs have (thank goodness)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

dturm
ourtravels wrote:
She is now on fluoxetine (prozac) daily with alprazolam (xanax) added during extreme anxiety, and is doing very well.

Margaret

As you can tell by the responses there are many methods that are tried. What will work in your dog requires a trial and error method until you find the right one.

Margaret is using the best (IMO) combination prescription method for dealing with serious phobias. Many people are reluctant to use medications, but this protocol is not just tranquilization and is extremely effective. These medications work centrally in the brain to lessen anxiety. They are effective and often can be tapered and eliminated after a period of use.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

ourtravels
Explorer
Explorer
Our female border collie was extremely noise phobic. I found that along with a Thundershirt, giving her 3mg of melatonin worked well for her. It can be given up to 3x a day. Google 'melatonin and thunder phobia' there is lots of information available.

I found that Rescue Remedy was just too short-lived, the effects lasting only 15 minutes or so.

Paige was a trialling sheepdog (now retired) and interestingly enough she could work sheep during a storm, and it did not seem to affect her. As soon as we finished, she would start to panic.

Unfortunately, a few years ago, Paige's anxiety escalated to full-blown panic attacks. We arrived home one day to a completely destroyed dog-room door. Our little 30 lb. girl had destroyed her crate, and then chewed and ripped a 3 foot square hole in the door.:E Our other BC was still calmly napping ๐Ÿ™‚

Margaret
Margaret & Tony
Our border collie, Nash. RIP Kane, Paige
'No Bad Days'
2016 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Alliance Paradigm 310RLS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Loud thunder bothers me as well haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check with PetSmart, but only if you know a big storm is coming. We did and they said, buy it, try it and return it if it doesn't work. We thought that was an excellent offer. At around $50 I didn't want to spend it on something that just "might" work, or not. We still have the shirt and put it on our dog whenever the thunder hits.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
3oaks wrote:
gbopp wrote:
Many years ago we had a 70+ pound golden lab. When it thundered he would jump on our bed and crawl under the covers.
That dog was a big wimp. ๐Ÿ™‚
Wrong! He was not a big wimp. Their just gentle and good natured as dogs come and love affection. Loud sounds and hash voices disturb them.

Loud sounds and harsh voices :H

They are sporting/hunting dogs
Shotguns 'Boom/Boom'.....yelling 'Git that bird"

:B :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
The Thundershirt helps my dog, too, but he also likes to be under something.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8