cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gretchen gave us a scare, but all is well

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
So, yesterday morning I noticed a 1" by 3" stripe of blood on Gretchen's bed. :E I gave her an examination, and discovered that it appeared as though one of her several sebaceous cysts had burst, releasing all the yuckiness and blood onto her bed. She was not in any distress at all, so I slightly clipped the hair around the area and applied some Neosporin.

Called our vet's office, but did not get in until today, as we determined it was not really an emergency. Turns out it was what I suspected, and they expressed more gunk out of it, cleaned it up, and applied something to help it scab over. Our vet did not want to bandage it, but wanted it to be able to air out. Now it's 750mg of Cephalexin, twice daily for ten days. Uggg . . . . I'm pretty sure it's going to cause her to have loose stools, judging from past experience. 😛

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

20 REPLIES 20

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Dashonthedash wrote:
Glad to hear that Gretchen is OK. So far, I haven't noticed any cysts on Hannah. Shadow has a continual problem with loose stools, even without antibiotics, and even Forti-flora hasn't cleared it up. Diarrhea is rare, but all his stools are loose. I have tried changing foods (gradually), but that usually makes it worse, so I wind up going back to his "usual" food.

I too came from the era that as soon as a dog had diarrhea you were told to stop giving them their 'normal' food and switch to ground beef and cottage cheese, etc.

Took me a lot of years of obeying this advice until I moved and had another vet. His advice was 'fast' them for a day or two, quit giving them more food to 'feed' the bacteria. And he believed that drastically changing the food on onset just added to the viscous cycle.

Gotta tell you the fasting DOES WORK. I have no problem now of battling runny stools for days and days on end anymore. First sign of loose stools they don't get fed. And within 24 hours it is cleared up.

I'd like to see you try that on Calvin. ...

Pops

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Dashonthedash wrote:
Glad to hear that Gretchen is OK. So far, I haven't noticed any cysts on Hannah. Shadow has a continual problem with loose stools, even without antibiotics, and even Forti-flora hasn't cleared it up. Diarrhea is rare, but all his stools are loose. I have tried changing foods (gradually), but that usually makes it worse, so I wind up going back to his "usual" food.

I too came from the era that as soon as a dog had diarrhea you were told to stop giving them their 'normal' food and switch to ground beef and cottage cheese, etc.

Took me a lot of years of obeying this advice until I moved and had another vet. His advice was 'fast' them for a day or two, quit giving them more food to 'feed' the bacteria. And he believed that drastically changing the food on onset just added to the viscous cycle.

Gotta tell you the fasting DOES WORK. I have no problem now of battling runny stools for days and days on end anymore. First sign of loose stools they don't get fed. And within 24 hours it is cleared up.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
When ever we give antibiotics to us or any of our critters including dogs, cats, calves and even our parrot who has only been sick once in the 33 years that we have had her and we fed her yogurt to help replenish the good bugs,ie digestive enzymes etc.

we have used lots of different products over the years, When we were bottling calves we used a product called Probios and added some to the calves bottles as a preventative. It has a long list of animals, birds and reptiles it is good for. It has a vanilla taste to it.

We have 4 different brands of products we keep in the fridge that contain live micro-organisms.
We get the water dispensable type. It's a powder instead of a granule. It mixes much better.
I hope Gretchen heals quickly without much in the way of loose stools.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:

Forti-Flora

is one by Purina that is species specific for dogs (also a cat version), but any human product should work.

X2

I went the same go around were all the antibiotics we used on my old guy to try and save him but diarrhea was just about killing him.

My vet gave me Forti-Flora and this stuff REALLY WORKS!

I found Forti-Flora provided by your vet is the BEST. IMHO better than the otc. It also has an aromoa/taste that helps a real sick dog want to eat too. It was what ultimately pulled him thru.

I keep a box of this on board in the RV at all times.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad Gretchen will be ok.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
Fingers crossed for no GI issues.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to hear all is under control. Hope she heals fast.
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
Hope your pup heals fast.
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
DOTLDaddy wrote:
dturm wrote:
...Try a probiotic...
Being totally ignorant of such things, is there a brand or type you might suggest? :@

This is the stuff I buy over at Amazon; Nutramax 80 Count Proviable-DC Health Supplement for Cats and Dogs. They sell'um with a 30 count box as well.

Glad Gretchen is OK!

Pops

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad to hear it's under control.

dturm
Forti-Flora is one by Purina that is species specific for dogs (also a cat version), but any human product should work.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
DOTLDaddy wrote:
dturm wrote:
...Try a probiotic...
Being totally ignorant of such things, is there a brand or type you might suggest? :@

Having a boxer, a tender tummy is a given. I give him Digest-All with each of his meals, and it works well for him. I found it at Vitamin Shoppe in the pet section, but you can find it online, as well. A powder, it has digestive enzymes, prebiotics, and probiotics in it, and a little bit goes a long way, sprinked over food. Once opened, it needs to be kept in the fridge.
Digest All
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
dturm wrote:
...Try a probiotic...

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L