cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's now time

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
On Monday I will be taking our 14 year old cocker spaniel in to the vet for the final time. This has been such a hard decision as there are moments that he is alert and seems to know what is going on and other times when he cannot get up without pain and does not eat.

He is deaf but does follow hand signals very well. I have had to put him on a run because he would wonder off and be found scared and confused sitting in the middle of the street. He has a tumor that the vet said is cancer and he has lost about 12 pounds and you can see his spine and all of his ribs. I have fed him high calorie food with supplements but the weight continues to fall off of him.

He has been with me through all of my major health problems (heart attacks and strokes) and has been such a comfort for me during those times. We have 2 other cockers that will be lost without him. They are 2 and 3 years old and respect that he is the alpha dog.

My daughters and their husbands are coming over today to dig his grave in my chosen location and as of now we will laying him to rest on Monday.

I will miss him so very much

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
19 REPLIES 19

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree. Any additional quality time is good. When the time does come, no consolation, but remember this gift.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:
That is great news. Sounds like you have a good vet, very caring. I lived in PA at one time near the Delaware Water Gap. Who is your vet?

I'm in Washington PA 20 miles or so south of Pittsburgh. My vet is at Steel Valley Vet services.

Since eating the moist food and prednisone he seems to be doing better. Even if it only buys us a few months of quality time it is worth it.

Dave

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is great news. Sounds like you have a good vet, very caring. I lived in PA at one time near the Delaware Water Gap. Who is your vet?

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm glad you're able to get another trip with Toby, Dave. That will be one full of good memories. Take plenty of photos too.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP here,

Well I took Toby to the vet and he checked him over first. He said his heart and lungs are still good. I told him that he was not eating the dry dog food but still drinking. The vet said again that his cancer is causing the weight loss but seeing how distraught I was said he would switch to a moist dog food add some high calorie supplement to it and put him back on prednisone. It will not stop the inevitable but he felt we could still get some quality time with him if we wanted. Toby is not really in any pain according to the vet but at 14 years old there is bound to be stiff joints. The prednisone will also help that.

I brought him home tried the moist dog food and he really loved that! Ate every bite! Started the prednisone and will start the high calorie supplement later today.

We are leaving for Myrtle Beach this coming weekend and will be taking him with us. He loved to travel and was happy at the campground we go to. This way we can have one more big trip together as the vet does not think he will last more than 6 months.

I want to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers. They meant a lot to me that so many others care so much. I was sure that this would be the end but if we can get some more quality time together that is pain free and he seems happy I will take all of that I can get.

Thanks again!

Dave

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
So sorry our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry - double post.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry. Thank you for putting the needs of your dog first! Prayers that your grief will eventually be replaced by happy memories of your beloved pet.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

dturm
So sorry, most of us have been where you are and can identify with the feelings. I hope your memories will eventually overtake the grief and the aid and comfort he has given you over the years will help fill the hole in your heart.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Condolences and sympathies. We've had to do that with 3 this year. Ours were all geriatric and the loss is still felt.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unfortunately as a dog owner it's one of the most difficult things to do. I offer my sincere condolences.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I lost my best friend several years ago. It was very hard for me too, but I think he knew what was about to happen. He will be with me for ever. I take his ashes where ever I travel, and hope that someday we will be buried together. He meant more to me than any other companion I have had. Your's is the same way. You have that special bond and understanding that will last forever. When you get another dog, it won't be to replace him. You will know what I mean later. I have a lock of my dogs' hair and picture memorial in my wallet. Kiss him and hug him good-bye!

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
My sincere condolences. Our fur babies are part of the family and to lose them is really an emotional time.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am so very sorry. As I sit and read this with tears in my eyes, I know and feel your pain. When our furkids no longer have any quality of life left, it becomes our responsibility to let them go... our feelings do not enter into it, but our love for them to end their suffering does. My cocker who had been through so much with me had congestive heart failure and made it 10 months with meds... finally decision day came. My heartache was tremendous, but I stayed with him till last after last breath. Still hurts... 3-1/2 yrs. later.

Wishing you the strength and courage to do for your baby what is best.