cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping pets cool while parked, no AC in rig?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all --

My kitty who was attacked by the pit bull has developed diabetes. My guess is that he was going to anyway, and the stress put him over the edge.

I was planning to leave him, and my other cat, in a friend's care this fall/winter, as I did last year, but now I am not sure. I am considering taking him with me.

It would be tight, the two of us in a small van. And I would have to take him on a trial run to see if he can adapt to camping. Maybe you folks have suggestions?

My main concern is keeping him cool during the day when I am out. I don't think he would go for an outdoor cage. I do have a large folding one, but the one time I put him in it overnight (indoors, for a painful paw injury) he clawed at the cage all night until I decided he was doing more damage to his injury in the cage than he would if I let him out. So, that did not go well.

Inside the van, how would I keep him cool? Is there some kind of tiny AC I can run off a generator? A small S&B one seems too big, and too heavy. I don't suppose I can leave a generator going when I am out, but at least I could come back midday and turn it on for a while to cool the rig down.

I tried googling but just found a zillion little swamp coolers, which sounded mold-inducing to me, in a vehicle.

What do you all think? Ice packs?

I figure when I am at camp he can be outside on a leash. I've done that at home (since the attack) and he finds the leash mildly annoying but no big deal. But of course it would be unsafe if I am not there!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
20 REPLIES 20

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
When we were camping in 100+ heat our cat lived in front of the fan. So did I.

squatting_dog
Explorer
Explorer
pretty simple solution for a short time away period. I built one and the only change I made was to use a 12v. fan so no need to worry about power outages. I would guess this would work even better in a van than an rv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
The issue with pets overheating in vehicles is that their core body temperatures get too high. One can keep the air temperature cool enough such that cooling via respiration is sufficient or one can provide a cool surface for the pet to lay on to facilitate convective cooling (like a wading pool with cool water). For healthy pets at rest in the shade air temperatures in the 90s would be okay; if this were not so pets would not survive outside in the summer in many places in the USA. Acclimation to warmer and more humid conditions is key for pets (and humans) to deal with heat stress.

Temperature regulation of the unanesthetized cat during mild cold and severe heat stress

At an ambient temperature of 41C (106F) all physiological responses were stable and maximum; thermal equilibrium could not be obtained at 44C (111F).
I would expect these results are dependent upon humidity since most cooling would be due to evaporation during panting.

I know that some vehicles have heated and cooled car seats; is there such a thing as a thermoelectrically cooled seat cover which could be used to keep a pet cooled (in conjunction with exhaust vent&fan?

Our dogs are crated in our van while at sheepdog trials (we can leave the doors open); on hot and/or still days we use a sunshade over the van to keep the van surfaces from heating up which keeps the van cooler.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since it will be winter - I think you'd be OK with some windows cracked open and a fan to move the air around? Unless your RV is black or a dark, heat-absorbing color...
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

kickstart
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know how to post pics or share what I've seen on other sights, but just seen how to make an air conditioner out of a water jug on pintrest,maybe you can find directions on you tube.
Randy and Pam
Misty, Sinbad,and Delilah (the cat kids)
Maggie,(a rough coat collie rescue)
1998 Damon Intruder (fun but no frills)

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
We leave our kitties for a few hours in our RV with the FantasticFan running and the windows open where the vertical MaxxAire are installed. It keeps the RV within few degrees of the outside air. We're never gone for the whole day.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
The issue with leaving pets in the RV with A/C running is power failure of the park. It does happen and the temp then rises rapidly. Best suggestion so far is 12v fans on battery power with solar input and lots of water. For sure, have a ceiling exhaust fan to vent heat.
Currently Between RVs

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
A Rv of any type is just like a car. They get extremely hot, very quick. I wouldn't want to stay inside all day without AC and neither will your cat. It can kill him. As far as leaving him outside, what about the weather? Other Dogs, wild animals? Most campgrounds wouldn't allow it anyway. Personally if it was me and I had no AC, I would stay home. Sorry, but kitty comes first.

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Pets in car info

Some Temperature info

Might want to send Dr. Doug a PM and ask opinion. Moderator of RV Pet Stop

Excellent idea.

NAIO, Kitty had a paw medical problem and clawed within the cage, that's one reason I posted that comment. Perhaps a softer,cushioned type of enclosure would have been better, except for the added warmth of the padding.

Darn tough situation and I hope you can discover a solution.
Ray

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remember too, water water water...if your diabetic animal has a change in blood sugar, they need more water and will increase their intake immensely...IMO, your best bet is to consult your vet with your plans and change them accordingly.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pets in car info

Some Temperature info

Might want to send Dr. Doug a PM and ask opinion. Moderator of RV Pet Stop
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
buta4 wrote:
Get a small AC for your furbaby PERIOD!

Can you find one online? I have been looking.

Above 80* degrees is dangerous if not deadly.

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat. That must have been awful.

Normal daytime temps are above 80 where we live, and AC cooled spaces are 78. But 90 is too hot.

I don't care how many fans are running it's still just hot air.

You miss the point: We were talking about using fans to remove hot air and bring different, cool, air in. Not blowing the hot air around.

PS:
"Clawed at the cage all night"?? I could not ever put an animal through that.

That's why I let him out, against medical advice. Don't be an azzhat.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
There is too much glass and so most rv's become extremely hot.

Get a Yamaha 3000 Sieb generator. Add remote start to it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Get a small AC for your furbaby PERIOD!

Above 80* degrees is dangerous if not deadly.

Remember the kitty has a fur coat and requires CLEAN water to drink several times a day. Clipping the heavy coat would help a bit but it's not a cureall.

Hot outside air can turn a small camper into a oven I don't care how many fans are running it's still just hot air.

Unlike the human body a cat's bodily reserves are much more limited. I lost a kitty (Putzie) when he hid inside a neighbor's hot garage attic and was too scared to come out, in the summer heat, under the floorboards, amongst the hot insulation. Died two days later.

I'm just thinking of you kitty, nothing else.

PS:
"Clawed at the cage all night"?? I could not ever put an animal through that.

Just my personal thoughts for what it's worth.

I hope you can solve this problem.
Ray