cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solo RV'ers With Dogs

Paleo_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - I'm considering getting a dog and I'd be interested in hearing from solo travellers who take their dogs with them. I've been thinking about this and am concerned with the practicalities of leaving a dog alone when one has to take a shower, or leaving the dog in the car for a quick jaunt to get groceries etc. I seems to me that one would be constantly rushing back to the car or to camp to make sure your pet is OK. I guess I'm worried about finding myself in a situation where the dog is tied to a tree, and I'm tied to the dog. On the other hand, I'm sure the company would be welcome. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
23 REPLIES 23

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't found our dogs to be particularly limiting. They're well trained, so leaving them in the RV for a few hours at a time while we check out the sights or go out to eat isn't a problem at all. We try not to leave them alone more than six hours at a time. They don't think much more of being alone in the RV than they do when we leave them in our sticks and bricks house. I crate them to prevent them from being able to see outside and also close the blinds. I leave the AC/heat on as appropriate and also leave on a TV or fan for white noise. Now a couple of caveats to what I just said -- First, one of our dogs is old and one is a small breed. They don't need much exercise and are happy to spend most of the day sleeping. Second, we almost always stay in commercial RV parks with reliable power (and we have two AC units). It might be different if you're planning on doing a lot of boondocking or staying in campgrounds w/o electricity. But for us traveling with dogs really isn't much different than how it would be if we didn't have them. And since I do 99.95% of caring for them, I don't think things would be much different if I were solo RV'ing.

If you decide to get one, I'd recommend adopting an adult dog who has been in a foster home and is known to be calm and easygoing. Stack the odds in your favor to begin with!
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
Showering and leaving the dog(s) in the car in cool weather is not a problem. I have taken my 2 dogs on solo camping weekends and it was really no different than when my DW is along. Having the extra person doesn't help that much because the limitations are still there. Whether alone or not, you won't be able to do some things you could have done without a dog (hiking on some trails where dogs are restricted, going into visitor centers, going to entertainment events, etc.).

We live where it's cool 90+% of the time. When it's hot it's much harder because you can't leave the dog(s) in the car for more than a few minutes. We never leave the dogs "tied to a tree" unless we are there with them. We have a couple of long leashes that we use for that purpose when sitting around camp. Rangers/Hosts don't seem to mind that even when there is a 6' leash restriction.

Some types of RV-ing are better suited to having dogs. Boondocking with a Truck Camper is ideal. RV parks with closely-packed A's and 5ers is not that great. State and national parks are somewhere in-between.

Don't forget that if you are snowbirding you need to have access to vet services. Unexpected things can/do happen and it's expensive when it does.

Having a dog is a MAJOR responsibility, but we couldn't imagine life without them. We probably wouldn't even have an RV if we didn't have dogs. It's like when people get an RV to spend time with their kids for us.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I could not imagine being without my dog, Bucky, my faithful companion and best friend. However, having a pet does limit your activities. Before deciding to get a dog, you need to consider your lifestyle and what you would be willing to sacrifice.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If you are just in the "thinking of getting a dog" stage?
If you plan on doing a lot of RV'ing do NOT get a dog.

You will have WAY more fun and see more sights RV'ing without a dog.

I travel with dogs and there is a whole extra set of baggage dogs' bring with them when it comes to RV'ing. They drastically limit what I can and can not do traveling with them on board.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Just got home from a 5 day camping trip to Myakka river State park in Bradenton Florida! The people there visiting seemed to not want to follow the parks rules:
1)no picking up the poop

2)walking dogs around park without leashes(big and small dogs)

3) leaving dogs locked up in RV while they left for 4 hours and dogs never stopped barking the whole time
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
I have been going solo for about 10 months now. I have always had dogs up until the seperation. I had to make a difficult but wise decision not to get another dog. not having someone to care for it in the event of emergency was a deciding factor. just this past holiday weekend, I spent several hours at a clinic which was extremely busy. If I had a fur friend stuck in the RV, it would have been misery for both of us. Luckily in my travels, I get to meet plenty of friendly pooches.
Full timing it since July 2012

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you ever had a pet? If not, then now is not the time to start unless you are ready and willing to put a lot of time and effort into it. Finding a good dog is the easy part. Animal shelters have lots of reacue dogs available every day of the week. But spending the time to properly traim your new companion takes time. Obedience classes are essential to create a good citizen. We normally take our dog with up in the car, truck or anywhere we go. Max just likes to be with us. He does not care if he has to sit i. The car for an hour or so. And as long as it is not too hot he gets to travel. When it gets hot, we leave him at camp, usually inside. But when wemaremdoing our hosting duties, he either goes around with us or is tied outside in the shade with lots of water. Of course we check on him often. Usually he is content to just lay around and watch the squirles. When we take a break, he gets to go off leash and chase a ball. Which keeps him happy. Remember, A happy dog is a tired dog.

KarenS144
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not solo but do travel with 2 boxers and you're right, there is a lot to consider.

We have left them in the jeep when we run to look at a feature. Fortunately, we've been able to find shade or it hasn't been too warm when we do. I carry plenty of water for them and use a spray bottle of water to mist them which they don't appreciate but I think it helps cool them.

We are very limited as far as hiking with them in national parks and some parks do not allow dogs in the back country...either hiking or in cars.

There are cooling mats and cooling jackets available that you can use. I have jackets and they are supposed to be soaked in cool water and put on the dogs. As the water evaporates, it cools them. The mat works pretty much the same way. I have not had to use mine so can't really comment on how well they work.

Then there is the poop pickup responsibility.... not pleasant but in most campgrounds and parks it's the rule and only right that owners pick up after their dogs. There are leash rules too which should be followed no matter how cute, smart, loving, SMALL or large your dog is. Having my 2 charged by cute, smart, loving, SMALL dogs that come at us because their owners don't think the rules apply to them is infuriating. Small dog poop stinks just as much as large dog poop too!

Different breeds suit different people and activities so match the breeds and their characteristics to your activities. There are plenty of purebred dogs in shelters and rescues as well as the heinz varieties that need loving furever homes.

Having a dog WILL for sure limit you but the companionship they give far outweighs the limitations in my opinion.
Karen
Paoli, IN

Traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433
with 1 Hubby and 2 Boxers!

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the dog. If you've got a well mannered dog who is quiet and well behaved, as well as trained, it can be a joy. If you've got one that barks incessantly, chews everything in sight, and uses your carpet for a toilet, not so much. All of the things you've mentioned need to be considered, except tying to a tree; that's a no no.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard