cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anti-freeze in fresh water tank

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
My manual says to add 5 gallons of non-toxic antifreeze to fresh water tank. I have not seen or heard of this. I thought draining tank would be sufficient for winterization. My current knowledge is to never but anything in fresh water tank other than fresh water or fresh water and chlorine to sanitize/
25 REPLIES 25

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see no problem putting RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank. The spring fill with water and bleach plus another fill to rins is sufficient to flush out the antifreeze.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If the only way to install pink stuff is through the tank, then just draining and blowing out the lines might be the best way. Need to take a good look at you entire water system, and how to winterize. How water tank needs to be drained and bypassed.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I'll echo the winterizing kit option. Ours came with one, but I would have installed one if not! Incredibly easy to winterize that way - and doesn't put anything in the FW tank.

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
roadrat57 wrote:
My manual says to add 5 gallons of non-toxic antifreeze to fresh water tank. I have not seen or heard of this. I thought draining tank would be sufficient for winterization. My current knowledge is to never but anything in fresh water tank other than fresh water or fresh water and chlorine to sanitize/

For your rig, 2000 Fleetwood Fiesta LX, the only way the manufacturer provided for getting antifreeze into the water lines is through the fresh water tank.

I would not put antifreeze in the fresh water tank for reasons others expressed, above. If blowing out the lines leaves you worried, then you should consider a third party winterizing kit. Such kits are easy to install and allow one to use the rev's water pump to pump antifreeze into the plumbing system without using the fresh water tank.

Do a search for "rv winterizing kits." Camco makes one that sells for around $12.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a big proponent of reading and following manuals....but this advice maybe not so much.
No way am I putting 5 gallons of anti-freeze anywhere in our RV..
(but, I'm not familiar with your RV or how it is set up and plumbed.)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
roadrat57 wrote:

I think it is silly to add antifreeze to your fresh water tank. just install a winterizing kit, under $20, to pull AF directly from the bottle. or you can push it in thru the fresh water fill. on my TT it was virtually impossible to put the T connector before the pump so I put it after and force AF in thru a 12 volt bilge pump.
bumpy

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If the only way to install pink stuff is through the tank, then just draining and blowing out the lines might be the best way. Need to take a good look at you entire water system, and how to winterize. How water tank needs to be drained and bypassed.

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
roadrat57 wrote:
My current knowledge is to never but anything in fresh water tank other than fresh water or fresh water and chlorine to sanitize/
I agree.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
That is one way, but don't do it. Takes forever and lots of flushing to get all that stuff out of your system. Just drain it really well. You water will taste bad and foam forever after.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a winterization package with a hose and valves that isolate the FW tank and allows pink stuff to be drawn from gallon containers? If not, putting pink stuff into the FW tank might be the only way to get pink stuff into the water lines.
What about a Water Heater bypass that keeps the pink stuff out of it?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Em, I don't I have a bottom drain and just dump the tank.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.